Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think describing it as "It's a game where Busy Town went through a recession" has been what's sold friends who I've talked to about it.

Richard Scarry presents: True Detective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I missed a lot on my first run. The rats were a pleasant surprise this time.

EDIT:

AbstractNapper posted:

(I am also not a native English speaker, so that factors in too)
If your preferred language is German or Dutch, I might know enough to explain some of the dialog.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 2, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Second run took about 13 hours. I want to go through again, but I have no clue what I missed and I should be working on my résumé.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed that in the last scene a door is being forced open while the first scene portrays a door being fixed. I'm still trying to get a read on the janitor. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the choices for the expository text may subtly alter the game, ditto which of the two investigation are pursued.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The pipe is there for me.

Dolash posted:

Could you elaborate?

I meant trivial things that would easily escape notice. I'm skipping Angus this time.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 4, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Someone on Tumblr pointed out that the four chamber of commerce people are all the same species as the four monstrously huge animals from Mae's dreams, and the cultist that tried to kill her in the end was a cat like the huge cat God...
How did I not make that connection?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

A Human Ear Alright posted:

I thought it was her first semester. She spent some time out of school after she almost killed that kid, right? The fact that she's 20 doesn't mean she went to college at 18.

Mrs. B mentions Mae being a sophomore.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just realized a bottomless pit is an Infinite Fall.

Also:Casey is kinda like Well Boy.

EDIT: Since it is typically three months, an Infinite Fall is a Weird Autumn.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 7, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Could someone fill me in on this? I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

Macaluso posted:

It's Garfield
I got that part.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 7, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I figured it out. Most of it anyway. This includes information revealed in Longest Night, so I'll spoiler tag.

If you played Longest Night, you may recall the constellation Ibon, the first singer. Depicted in the attic of the historical society, Ibon is a goat. Since it's a constellation, it's mostly black. According to the myth, Ibon wanted to teach the fish to sing. For this reason, Ibon took away the water.
At the park with Angus, he and Mae mention fossils of sea creatures found on land. Angus explains that long ago the entire area was underwater. It's mentioned elsewhere that Possum Springs is located in a valley so it's plausible that the area could've once been an ancient lake.
I'm not yet certain what Ibon is/was but if Ibon is/was a celestial body that fell to Earth and produced a big hole, that's probably where the water went. Air currents across and into(possibly out of) the hole would produce a sound not entirely unlike singing, which is mentioned several times throughout the game.

The parts I haven't figured out:
- The origin of the myths (I have little beyond speculation)
- The significance of the Janitor
- The dream animals
- Ibon's nature and relation to other constellations

I'm considering going through again, this time through a lens of Carl Sagan/Joseph Campbell.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

I noticed something odd. If you don't choose some dialogue options, the game still acts like you did. For instance, you can tell the rude neighbor that you're the new Mayor and your dad will call you Mayor later that night. If you choose the other option, your dad STILL calls you Mayor. The same thing happens with the (unavoidable, fyi; someone was asking about that earlier) fight with Mom. She quotes you saying college wasn't where you needed to be, even if you didn't choose that option.

I hand-waved the first example as being either (A)something she was known for saying as a kid or (B)an example of Mae and her dad having similar senses of humor. The second example can be explained away as paraphrasing.

My first time through I had a lingering doubt for most of the game regarding whether or not the school burned down.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

...the topic of race seems completely excised from the story...

The only ethnic signifier that I recall apart from surnames was Angel's conspicuous accent.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think the game's unconventional save mechanic is thematically significant. You make decisions and they result in meaningful experiences. Yes, you mill miss out on some things, but that's okay.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I just don't want to redo the dreams :sigh:

Also is there another day where spend time with Gregg I've seen getting the mascot from the store, knife fight, eating at the diner, napping with him, and I think I'm missing the last ghost hunt event

You missed something when you went on the work trip with Bea.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Mae is bisexual, right? I know she likes "cute boys" but I could have sworn she also mentions being attracted to women at least once, early on?

Might you be thinking of Angus's coworker?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

Does someone have a link to the 'Proximity' reprise of Die Anywhere Else that sounds different? I couldn't see it on the soundtrack listing.
--
At first I didn't really believe Mae being so drat tiny but then just last week I met a really small person who was not that way for medical reasons, just super short, so now I can understand Mae being both kinda round and also super little.

https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/track/finding-bea

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I finished watching Slowbeef's play through. I think that investigating first with Angus kept him from doing Legends. Gregg said he couldn't hang out because it was date night.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it might be because he went with Bea on the first two days, so there would be almost no context for the robot.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 19, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

I don't think that's true, actually. Gregg still steals the robot and battery without your help (though I wonder how he gets the robot upstairs), and Angus will still surely chew him out for that. In the end Mae has very little influence on Gregg and Angus.

Speaking of Gregg, can anyone tell me what happens if you screw up carrying the robot up the stairs over and over? Does Gregg give up after getting hurt too much and figures out an alternate solution to skip the sequence, or does the game start softballing it?

You probably could have phrased that differently.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

McFrugal posted:

I don't get what you mean.

If you haven't finished the game, ignore me. I changed your text in the quote. I now realize that it was dumb to do that with spoiler tagged text.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

The thing I wanted the most was for Mae's mom to give her a hug and she never did. :negative:

I assumed she did after Jenny's Field but you may have missed that part.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm suspect that Eide is "Fisherman" Jones. Also I realized that there easily could have been another exit from the mines and I can't think of any way that would matter.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I played around with some anagrams.

Donut Wolf Fantastic Yums : NYTW* Autumn Fascist Flood or Autumn(y) Fascist(y) Flood(y) Town(y) if you add the donut as an extra O

*Y is I in Cyrillic

It just came to mind that I have no clue why I thought to do that.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Two Inch Bee posted:

I didn't see anyone else confirming this, so:

This is definitely just a bug. It happens if you jump off at the end, and then hold left so that Mae is underneath the fire escape when she falls out of frame. There must be some kind of error-handling logic that just puts you back at the start of the scene if you get Mae to a location where she shouldn't be. If you let her fall straight down, or go to the right, the scene ends normally.

I encountered a similar bug after I somehow ran under a pier in one of the dreams.

GlyphGryph posted:

So what exactly is the method of figuring out how to read the windmills. Someone said Anguses event but I did that and there is no windmill related stuff in it

Repeatedly jumping while standing beside one makes it launch a helicopter thing. Any that you launch before going to Possum Jump are discovered by Mae and Angus.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

In any event, I kind of have that "I finished a game I invested some emotion into and I feel a little empty" thing happening right now.. Always hate that.

Let it hurt.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been mulling over Angus's reaction to the cave in. I have the impression that his history of unanswered appeals to higher powers and the cult's accounts of productive prayer might have resulted in a combination of sympathy and contempt in Angus. I'm still trying to unpack and articulate some of it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I'm kind of wondering about the unwritten aftermath of the game. Didn't like a dozen people, who presumably have others that would be worried about their whereabouts, just go missing -- all at once? Aunt Mall Cop gonna be busy.

I strongly suspect that the cultists knew about another exit.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing as the cultists were just a giant metaphor for capitalism, it doesn't really particularly matter if they survived or not imo

Agree.

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 29, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I started a new run and Mae landed on her feet when she meets Molly. I didn't know that could happen.

I was holding right and landed on the top of the fence, them jumped left.
V

eatenmyeyes fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 5, 2017

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I like the "as it’s fairly obvious from the start that there are no ghosts." part. Like no poo poo, the point of those scenes isn't the hunting of ghosts. No one playing the game is under any real impression that there's a ghost

Ghost DNA can't melt steel beams.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Just got the game and am really enjoying it so far. I've had to skip a majority of the thread because it's a mine field of spoiler tags, so apologies if this has been asked before.

1) Is the game worth replaying? I know you have to decide who you hang out with and that locks you into a certain story path. Should I explore both paths by replaying it?

For reference, I've hung out with Bae once.

2) Is there a super duper secret ending where you have to press exactly this button, then go here and collect this thing, then spend 4 hours walking left on the second screen to get it? Or can I safely just play the game to completion and see the ending?

1) I'd recommend going with the same person for the first two days.
2) I don't know.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I saw the lawyer on this time through. His dialog was really on point especially when he makes the disclaimer.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My first time through was G, B, G, Graveyard, Legends, Possum Jump

B, G, B, Historical Society, Proximity, Possum Jump is the Sharkle run.

Wounds and Proximity are probably my favorites.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Onomarchus posted:

Was the reason Gregg called himself parking lot trash compared to Angus because he grew up as one of only a couple of gays in a small town? That's the only reason I could find for it.

My impression is that he's a dirt bag/lowlife, which isn't to say he's a bad person. He's fond of the simple things: breaking poo poo, making noise, being needlessly reckless, etc. You probably knew someone like that in school.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

I don't normally read KS updates once I have the product, but if you were a backer, definitely check out #81 for NitW. It's been very good to read it, and I think at some point all of us have asked both "Is Mae going to be ok?" and "Is Mae a good person?" during our playthroughs.

Is there any way to buy access or has that ship sailed?

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just finished another run and the save file was cleared automatically. I'm gonna say Sharkle did it.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I'd almost forgotten how much I love the soundtrack to this game.

I bought it on Bandcamp.

https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/album/night-in-the-woods-vol-1-at-the-end-of-everything
https://infiniteammo.bandcamp.com/album/night-in-the-woods-vol-2-hold-on-to-anything

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

A sequel at some point would be nice as well though I'm not really sure where they could take the story from here (the cult is gone and Mae has at least started down the road to recovery). I am kind of curious how much in the way of new content there is in this version (some of the stuff shown in the trailer looks neat though).

The story stands on its own. It had a message and delivered it beautifully. Another story from the same team would be welcome if it measured up to NitW, but that seems like a lot to ask.

It's not implausible that the mine had another exit.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

...voice acting ...replace the entire cast with humans and it wouldn't really change all that much
I feel either of these changes would be a detriment to the game's emotional impact. Even with good voice acting/casting, the universality of the characters would be diminished.

I just realized this is the second time in a row I've naysaid parts of your posts. I assure you it is nothing personal.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just finished an all Gregg run. Some of the new content felt a bit incomplete and I'm not sure how I feel about replacing some of the dialog, but most of the additional content was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

It might have been nice if it unlocked like a chapter select or something after finishing the game once so you don't have to replay the entire story just to see one or two new things.

I think something like that might undermine the narrative aspect of the game. The individual choices color the story.

Also, it was fun to pick new dialogue on the replays.