Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
hello. I just wanted to let everyone know that the protagonist of GOTY Demontower has nine lives. Well, bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/greggrulz/status/834684322217152512

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'm actually disappointed in how Angus ends up getting shafted as a character. I wish there were more events you could do with him, because as it is the one he has gets bogged down by some awkward exposition.

The game really touched me. I'll probably replay it to see the scenes I missed, but I'm happy with my playthrough. the way it dealt with depression and mental illness was extremely down-to-earth.

the scene where all of the people you had sidequests with are with Mae in church was really nice, as was the whole ending sequence.
Just out of curiosity, does the choice of who you spend time with affect the ending? I hung out with Bea mostly and it felt like she had a larger role in the endgame as a result. Does the opposite happen if you hang out with greg?

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 24, 2017

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah, the only warning i have about the game is that it isn't really a straight-up mystery, and if you go in expecting that you're going to be disappointed. The mystery stuff is mostly an allegory for the struggles faced by mae and the town.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
godddddddddddd when are they gonna release the soundtrack. It's so good

My playthrough took me ~13 hours, but a good portion of that was demontower, which i never actually beat. oh well. I'm gonna play it again and get all of the gregg events.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You can jump from the streetlight on the next building and reach a lamp over the door. You can't stand on that lamp for more than a split second, but you can jump off it to reach the roof.

this is what i've been trying to do. good to know it isn't a waste

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
There was an issue with the cheevos in a previous build. I think it's fixed now.

I think in order to get dad to move the boxes, you have to watch tv with him every day for a while.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Ohhhhhh, THAT'S her. I wondered why I never saw her again after the first day, whoops. In retrospect I don't think I actually explored all the roofs, so that explains that.

Other scattered ending thoughts: Are the four council people anywhere to be seen in the epilogue, because they seem like the type of people who'd totally be in the hosed up cult. (Also, I appreciated that the game didn't even try to frame it as a choice whether or not to even listen to those fucks any longer than you had to; I was totally with Angus on that one.)

Aunt Mallcop was a really weird character in general, because she's given a super prominent spotlight during most of the plot events that just... never leads to anything? Like, she's MIA for the entire final act an
d the epilogue, apart from mentioning that she found Mae. I guess she's mostly there to build up tension, but it feels like a waste for that to be her ONLY purpose?

Someone remind me whether or not Molly was in the epilogue at all? Because if not I think the implication was that she was one of the cultists, hence why she appears right after the first "ghost sighting", her comments about protecting people like Mae, etc. In that case her warnings throughout the game come off as sympathetic; she legitimately didn't want Mae to get hurt.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

This game got me to sit down and draw something for the first time in forever.

Lori M needs more love, she's probably my favorite character in the whole thing.

lori absolutely rules. she's the most adorable little terror in the world.

Although I'm not sure I like the final reveal about her having hecked up the dudes? not in a "SHE'S TOO GOOD FOR THIS" way, but in a "she seems too passive to do something like that" way. I'm not sure why that's the endgame quibble that sticks in my mind. That and not being able to play bass over the credits. i mean it's RIGHT THERE, c'mon dudes

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, they're missable. You only meet them if you go to the cemetery with Bea.

actually you can meet them earlier than that, if you go to the church cliff during harfest. There's definitely something bugged about those interactions, though, since I found all three pentagrams but couldn't talk to them on the last day.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
incidentally since im not sure it was mentioned: scott confirmed jackie was a trans woman on twitter, and also that an ingame mention will probably be patched in at some point

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The epilogue chapter reveals that your efforts have fostered a plague of rats upon downtown Possum Springs. Congratulations, you bringer of pestilence.

or if you're being charitable, you take it as a "life from death" metaphor for the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

I liked that part of the game too. Mae isn't some player avatar, she's her own flawed character and you just get to choose which mistakes she'll make. Though, I could see that rubbing some people the wrong way and using her as a lazy example of "This is what's wrong with millennials!"

https://gamebias.wordpress.com/2017/04/12/night-in-the-woods-ode-to-millennial-egotism/