Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

NO SPOILERS. DO NOT TALK ABOUT PLOT OR GAMEPLAY THAT WE HAVEN'T SEEN YET. IT IS REALLY QUITE SIMPLE.

Sonic had his ups and downs in the first decade of this millenium. First, we had the Adventure games, which, if you ask me, are impeccable. The best. After that, there was a whole slew of gradually worse and more soulless games, such as Sonic Heroes or anything made by Dimps. You all know Sonic 06, the disastrous, buggy 360/PS3 title that completely tanked the series' reputation for fans and casual observers alike.

Not long after that, though, there was a ray of hope, a new, promising thing called Sonic and the Secret RingsSonic Unleashed. I have fond enough memories of this game and I've never beaten it, and I want nothing more than to show people that no, really, it's good. It's got high speed, it's got globetrotting, it's good old fashioned Sonic back to its roots. None of this game is going to be a terrible ordeal.

Joining me for this joyous romp is my brother.

...he's entitled to his opinion. Anyway, showing is better then telling, so let's get showin'!

Also on display is a playthrough of the PS2 version, which until now has been a complete unknown to me, courtesy of GamesAreSupernice. I'm just gonna quote him:

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Let's Play Sonic Unleashed (PS2)

This is the other Sonic Unleashed. The version made by Dimps. It's just as fun, just as fast, and it has slightly better design in one key area: collectibles. The collectibles are earned via skill-based challenges, which is a major improvement. If you really enjoy beat 'em up sections and presentation, though, then the other version's the way to go. I'm going to be playing the best I can in hopes of scoring S-Ranks, but this is relatively casual so we'll see how it pans out. I don't talk over the cutscenes but also let you know when to skip to in case you don't really care about those.

Videos

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I remember seeing this game before, and I always came out with the impression that it has a lot of charm in its atmosphere. The opening scene of this game impressed me a lot the first time I saw it too.

Thank you for doing this let's play, I'll be following this.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm not that familiar with the game, but I'm familiar with the comic, and how they only vaguely did the plot because the comic had a continuity reboot and they needed to world build. (also apparently had plot elements exclusive to the PS2/Wii version)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've never played the PS2/Wii version because it's by Dimps, and I really don't trust them to make good levels.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've never played the PS2/Wii version because it's by Dimps, and I really don't trust them to make good levels.

The PS2/Wii release actually got better reviews.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK your brothers whining got irritating around 5 minutes in.

Felt like he was just being overly negative for the sake of it.

Edit: To clarify the sort of relentless dumping on the game he was doing only works if either the game is Just That Bad (which Sonic Unleashed is not) or the person is funny enough to make it work (which he is not)

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 23, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does your brother get funny after about 3 minutes? It was right around there I had to stop watching, sorry man. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I'm here for the game, cause I love it, but the brother I could take or leave. He's making complaints that could be applied to every game released in the last 15 years as if they were hot takes (Oh no, 8 minutes of cutscenes to set up the plot. At least they are entertaining cutscenes)

Also I liked the collectibles. They gave an excuse to find all the sidepaths in a level and play the optional levels. Also I have to call bullshit on his complaint 18 minutes in: the levels have "No exploration like in the old games?" They have a lot of sidepaths that you can find, it's where most of the medals and other collectibles are hidden.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

He'll calm down. Bear in mind this LP was a complete surprise to him.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

This game contains almost everything I subjectively dislike about lots of modern games, I am also a 34 year old man who thinks Sonic in general has less thematic depth than a Goosebumps book- this is completely not my kind of game in terms of gameplay or setting, but its rad if someone else enjoys it. I'm not the game police so much as a guy asked to comment on some videos earnestly, and I don't feel entitled to anyone's attention, so-

If you're here to have your opinion on childrens anime game #7375 validated there are lots of other threads for that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

This game contains almost everything I subjectively dislike about lots of modern games, I am also a 34 year old man who thinks Sonic in general has less thematic depth than a Goosebumps book- this is completely not my kind of game in terms of gameplay or setting, but its rad if someone else enjoys it. I'm not the game police so much as a guy asked to comment on some videos earnestly, and I don't feel entitled to anyone's attention, so-

If you're here to have your opinion on childrens anime game #7375 validated there are lots of other threads for that

Truly, your opinions are unleashed.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Truly, your opinions are unleashed.

the big hog, it me

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lizard Wizard posted:

He'll calm down. Bear in mind this LP was a complete surprise to him.

So wait that wasn't just a set up you actually just sprung it onto him? :lol:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

that's well and good but how do you feel about the sonic comics

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

So wait that wasn't just a set up you actually just sprung it onto him? :lol:

yeah. he knew what he was getting into, our whole adulthood wrt video games is him insisting I am going to like games I do not like, and being emboldened by the 1% or so of times he was correct

we've done a few, and when I know what's coming I think I'm a little less a constant diarrhea machine about Sonic? game still a waste of electricity/effort/the precious finite hours and days we have on this world

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

that's well and good but how do you feel about the sonic comics

you must read every character in jaleel white's voice

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 24, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Peanut Butler posted:

you must read every character in jaleel white's voice

jokes on you I read robotnik as Baldry and was reading antoine as Paulsen even before I knew Paulsen voiced him

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

jokes on you I read robotnik as Baldry and was reading antoine as Paulsen even before I knew Paulsen voiced him

ah poo poo I dipped into the kiddie pool and got wrestled into the deep end, mea culpa

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

which one of you is the older one?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The curmudgeon.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the big hog, it me

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This game really gets a lot of undeserved hatred. Sure, the werehog's levels are too long, but all and all, I thought that this is what started Sonic getting back on track (before Sonic Boom or the janky Lost World happened).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had the Wii version cause the Wii was cheaper than the PS3 for a while there. I really liked the Day stages. The Night stages not as much. Sonic is not Raphael. Knuckles is. Note the red. I hope next episode has less giving out, because gently caress's sake. The very last thing the world needs is another average Sonic game being LP'd like it's Daikatana.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
First episode was a bit of a beating, but I'll give it a chance. Most of this I've played is a demo, so I'm curious to see more. I've only heard mixed to bad things about the werehog, so I never took the plunge.

Here's hoping commentary hits its stride next episode.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Awesome commentary so far, can't wait to see how this develops.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I had the Wii version cause the Wii was cheaper than the PS3 for a while there. I really liked the Day stages. The Night stages not as much. Sonic is not Raphael. Knuckles is. Note the red. I hope next episode has less giving out, because gently caress's sake. The very last thing the world needs is another average Sonic game being LP'd like it's Daikatana.

It is terrible and any illusions to this game being average seem to universally be the result of attitude/speed colored lenses, SonicRulez

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't even mind a LP that craps all over its game. Commentary was just a bit clunky, and maybe a lot of that stems from the game not doing anything yet.:shrug:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ah yeah there are a couple things at play there, one of the big ones being that all my experience with this kinda thing has been on stage or radio, so I'm even now still figuring out how do

(I earnestly dig all the feedback, its cool and good, but even more than that I'm reeaaally digging playing hedgeheel)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Peanut Butler posted:

the big hog, it me

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Peanut Butler posted:

ah yeah there are a couple things at play there, one of the big ones being that all my experience with this kinda thing has been on stage or radio, so I'm even now still figuring out how do

(I earnestly dig all the feedback, its cool and good, but even more than that I'm reeaaally digging playing hedgeheel)

Hedgeheel is best hog

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can you folks pay a bit more attention to the cutscenes or audio? This game has a pretty good soundtrack, and I think it'd be a shame if it doesn't get a chance to be shown off.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I dug the beat 'em up stages because, well, I like beat 'em ups. It's understandable why most people wouldn't enjoy them, though. There's very few things functionally wrong with the game, but the necessity of returning to Day Stages to picking up collectibles? Yeah, that's a lot frustrating.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

EagerSleeper posted:

Can you folks pay a bit more attention to the cutscenes or audio? This game has a pretty good soundtrack, and I think it'd be a shame if it doesn't get a chance to be shown off.

The cutscenes, sure. I actually made the mistake of turning off the subtitles during my first play session because I didn't like them. What I didn't realize is that we'd be yammering so much. Soundtrack? Can't promise anything!

I dug the beat 'em up stages because, well, I like beat 'em ups. It's understandable why most people wouldn't enjoy them, though. There's very few things functionally wrong with the game, but the necessity of returning to Day Stages to picking up collectibles? Yeah, that's a lot frustrating.

I briefly touched on it with regards to the sliding mechanic, but yeah, the day stages kind of seem like they want you to memorize things to an extent I don't like.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 25, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

they want you to memorize things to an extent I don't like.

If that were all it asked of you it wouldn't be so bad, but there are times where you have to stop and move backwards through side-roads. During the speed stages. It goes a little beyond memorization and into rubbing your face against every possible surface. This is an issue that the PS2/Wii games also did not contain.

S'cool aside from that tho.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Actually on that note, would you guys be up for a Let's Play of the PS2/Wii game alongside yours, in the same thread? I think it could be fun to show people the differences. If you don't think it's the place for that I'll make a separate one on my own time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

EagerSleeper posted:

Can you folks pay a bit more attention to the cutscenes or audio?

no

lol ok so- its not that I won't, so much as I can't because- I am presented with cartoon gags that were hack back when Wile E Coyote was doing them in the Johnson administration, or I bear witness to flying ice cream cat gamboling about like a Babies-R-Us promo, or detect that the game is earnestly trying to make me feel dread at a credible threat from the fat egg doctor dork man and my eyes cloud over using the same defense mechanism I developed when I dated a woman who was way into The Bachelor

idk I'll try and keep it quieter but if you are looking to have the game equivalent of a PT Cruiser shown off, why in the world are you watching a version with a guy who clearly hates it when I'm a thousand percent certain that a precious completionist doing the lord's own work out there has a version with breathless respect for the original text?

this is a major design philosophy difference between my brother and I but I'm willing to compromise a bit even though I am always objectively correct about everything full stop - I guess I can let a lot of it speak for itself- but at the same time this thread is teaching me that I got a lot more work than I expected ahead of me educating goons that yes, you deserve better than this

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Actually on that note, would you guys be up for a Let's Play of the PS2/Wii game alongside yours, in the same thread? I think it could be fun to show people the differences. If you don't think it's the place for that I'll make a separate one on my own time.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm kinda just along for the ride and Lizard Wizard (actual name) is more the captain of this whatever it is

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Peanut Butler posted:

idk I'll try and keep it quieter but if you are looking to have the game equivalent of a PT Cruiser shown off, why in the world are you watching a version with a guy who clearly hates it when I'm a thousand percent certain that a precious completionist doing the lord's own work out there has a version with breathless respect for the original text?

Overly bombastic disdain for this game aside, I thought the point of this game was that Lizard Wizard is trying to show off that this game is a decent little gem, while you're trying to show that this game sucks. The writing and the soundtrack are some of the things that go in favor of this game being good. The soundtracks in all of the Sonic games I've seen are always pretty strong, and the writing of this game does a great job of stepping back from whatever Sonic 2006 was doing, and focuses on being fun and charming instead.

So yeah, that's why I think being able to hear those things would make a pretty good point in this game's favor.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

As long as you let us set the pace I think that'd be cool, sure!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

As long as you let us set the pace I think that'd be cool, sure!

Peanut Butler posted:

I wouldn't mind, but I'm kinda just along for the ride and Lizard Wizard (actual name) is more the captain of this whatever it is

Coolio! So ideally the videos should cover the same ground as the ones you've already uploaded, so as not to spoil anything? I can handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

almost forgot: weird and rude to find and post my high school senior photo

• Locked thread