Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Alright, the first video is done, and should cover literally exactly the same ground as yours. Lemme know when it's chill to post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Alright, the first video is done, and should cover literally exactly the same ground as yours. Lemme know when it's chill to post it.

Any time, really. Is there a way I can get a hold of you privately, so I can keep you apprised in advance as to what each video's going to be?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Any time, really. Is there a way I can get a hold of you privately, so I can keep you apprised in advance as to what each video's going to be?

Oh, yeah, sorry. My email is playablepassion@gmail.com . I really just wouldn't be able to pay attention to private messages on a forum, too easily side-tracked, but email works fine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Sonic Unleashed (PS2)

This is the other Sonic Unleashed. The version made by Dimps. It's just as fun, just as fast, and it has slightly better design in one key area: collectibles. The collectibles are earned via skill-based challenges, which is a major improvement. If you really enjoy beat 'em up sections and presentation, though, then the other version's the way to go. I'm going to be playing the best I can in hopes of scoring S-Ranks, but this is relatively casual so we'll see how it pans out. I don't talk over the cutscenes but also let you know when to skip to in case you don't really care about those.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 10, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think I've seen all of the stages of this game, though I don't think I've ever seen the whole plot. Guess I'll watch and see what I missed!

Penders! :argh:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Friendly reminder that Ken Penders legally owns the idea of "Evil Sonic", AKA Sonic in a leather jacket and sunglasses.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Friendly reminder that Ken Penders legally owns the idea of "Evil Sonic", AKA Sonic in a leather jacket and sunglasses.

Wait why would an evil guy wear that?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

arguably the most successful person to ever create Sonic OC

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Get ready for a long night, folks.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I haven't watched these yet because I midwesternly feel ashamed when I watch a thing I'm in and laugh at my own jokes

so I guess I'll see how my rich, sonorous and not at all nasal voice plays with my legitimate academic complaints wrt sonic unleashed

e: my well thought critiques are engaging and might as well add asmr to the video description

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The werehog sections are giving me Wario World vibes

Also; you're forgetting that there's already a Charles in the sonic franchise

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The werehog sections are giving me Wario World vibes

Haven't played WW, heard nice things about it- I have two GameCubes and zero games for them because people were using them as doorstops

I did not know about Old British Knight Sonic- in Charles the Accountant lore there is no Sir Charles but there is a Sir Sonic, the human man who owns Sonic (the restaurant) and is otherwise identical
e: there IS a Charles Barkley

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Yeah, but he's not accounted for in this game.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 3, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

I did not know about Old British Knight Sonic- in Charles the Accountant lore there is no Sir Charles but there is a Sir Sonic, the human man who owns Sonic (the restaurant) and is otherwise identical
e: there IS a Charles Barkley

Old British Knight Sonic is not to be confused with British Knight Sonic, who is just Sonic having been summoned across space and time to medieval Britain.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh boy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Don't you dare denigrate the poo poo Rolling Festival! It is the cornerstone of the rich Dung Beetle culture. Some of my best friends are Dung Beetles...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The werehog's S-rank pose (at least the Wii version of it) is just baffling to me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

The werehog's S-rank pose (at least the Wii version of it) is just baffling to me.

I'm sure it makes so much sense in Japan.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I'm sure it makes so much sense in Japan.

More or less sense than "Orb Result"?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

More or less sense than "Orb Result"?

Probably a little less sense than Orb Result.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

One of these days I'll remember to write down what font I'm using for update images. On the plus side, Jay is slightly less salty this time around.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You're brother rambling about Missouri reminds me of the Fairly Odd Parent's episode where a bunch of classic literature characters are wished out of their books. Tom Sawyers protest about returning was "I ain't goin' back there! It's Missouri in there! You ever bin to Missouri?:gonk:"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry not sorry.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Yeah my critique isn't really well presented in these, since I really don't prepare for this much beyond 'be awake and at a computer at a time'- I'm working on articulating what, exactly, I find so upsetting about this game. Something about it unsettles me to the core. Anyone flogging a product based on a marketable character that misses what made that character great (imo) is upsetting, and this game gives me the same feeling that Star Trek: Enterprise did- except I was more invested in that franchise at the time so I made excuses for it until it got cancelled.

but yeah, been thinking a lot about this, and my next co-commentary is going to have things like A THESIS and BULLET POINTS and SOMETHING BESIDES REFLEXIVE NAYSAYING but still with the reflexive naysaying because come on, think about this pablum for more than a second

BioEnchanted posted:

You're brother rambling about Missouri reminds me of the Fairly Odd Parent's episode where a bunch of classic literature characters are wished out of their books. Tom Sawyers protest about returning was "I ain't goin' back there! It's Missouri in there! You ever bin to Missouri?:gonk:"

y'know, it's not much worse than any other heartland cornfield, but Kansas fought Missouri in the prequel to the Civil War (Episode I: Bleeding Kansas) and that's still A Really Big Deal for some people in and around KC.

I grew up here on the KS side, so there's lots of anti-Missouri slaver scum programming tucked away in my brain. That state produced Mark Twain, a handful of Kyankas, the KC Royals (THEY HAD HELP FROM US THO), and nothing else of value (e: barbecue and jazz okay yes those are also great and I GUESS Saint Louis can take some credit for that I GUESS)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

Yeah my critique isn't really well presented in these, since I really don't prepare for this much beyond 'be awake and at a computer at a time'- I'm working on articulating what, exactly, I find so upsetting about this game. Something about it unsettles me to the core. Anyone flogging a product based on a marketable character that misses what made that character great (imo) is upsetting, and this game gives me the same feeling that Star Trek: Enterprise did- except I was more invested in that franchise at the time so I made excuses for it until it got cancelled.

Continuing to insist that this game epitomizes trying to capitalize on marketability is a decision that will only lead to me making you play Shadow the Hedgehog, my brother.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Continuing to insist that this game epitomizes trying to capitalize on marketability is a decision that will only lead to me making you play Shadow the Hedgehog, my brother.

next time you visit you're going into the 100 Hours of Captain Archer Ludovico Chair

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

next time you visit you're going into the 100 Hours of Captain Archer Ludovico Chair

Can't be worse than Sonic Heroes

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is Penders on drugs or is that all just his natural brand of insanity?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Penders on drugs or is that all just his natural brand of insanity?

Couldn't tell ya. That said, if any Sonic comic historians are lurking around I'd be happy to have Penderschat in this thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Lizard Wizard posted:

Couldn't tell ya. That said, if any Sonic comic historians are lurking around I'd be happy to have Penderschat in this thread.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That crashed my browser.

But seriously, fun as it is to gawp at his designs I really want to get into the weeds here about this guy who wrote the Sonic comic tor a decade despite hating Sonic.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

well it all started when a man named Mike Kanterovich got a job at archie...

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
There is a post in one of the Sonic Megathreads that does a great summary of the mess that is Ken Penders, but I forget where it is. Though now I think maybe in that unfinished Chronicles lp thread? He tried to claim copy right against the game so maybe?

Edit; got it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562522&userid=202903#post425884055

Paused fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 5, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really wish I could forget Titan Tails existed.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You know, aside from the cannibalism that's a very sensible answer.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Here's the next part for the sixth gen version. You can see exactly how screwed up the pacing and storytelling is. Fun boss fight though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pardon our dust, folks. The past couple of months have been packed!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something that I love about this game is that the optional levels are actually really interesting. They all behave very differently and are unique for each Hub. There's one in the Greece hub that is entirely Grind Rails over a large void that's fairly cool because it forces you to move forward constantly so it's largely reflex, and in Mazuri there is a literal racetrack that you need to do three laps on in a time limit. That one makes you get really good at cornering as drifting is necessary to go fast enough. Surprisingly given the nature of the werehog there is only one level that is an arena as well, the others are all different types of platforming.

Spoilered just in case one of you cares enough to check the optional levels out.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that I love about this game is that the optional levels are actually really interesting. They all behave very differently and are unique for each Hub. There's one in the Greece hub that is entirely Grind Rails over a large void that's fairly cool because it forces you to move forward constantly so it's largely reflex, and in Mazuri there is a literal racetrack that you need to do three laps on in a time limit. That one makes you get really good at cornering as drifting is necessary to go fast enough. Surprisingly given the nature of the werehog there is only one level that is an arena as well, the others are all different types of platforming.

Spoilered just in case one of you cares enough to check the optional levels out.

Oh, I'm sure ONE of us will. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread