Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Montasque posted:

Chelsea Clinton is also friends with Ivanka Trump.

Game recognize game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
an economics thread will be our first step towards being D&D2.0

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

anime was right posted:

an economics thread will be our first step towards being D&D2.0

make it
or i probate u uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Baloogan posted:

make it
or i probate u uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

why me i have a loose idea of how economics work, but someone more informed than me should probably make it lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:agreed:

That's nice and all, but even a well regulated capitalist state has to draw in superprofits from abroad if the rate of profit can't be guaranteed domestically. Even at the height of the American welfare state, the United States was getting millions of people killed just so we could guarantee access to foreign markets and labor.

Anyway, more relevant to the thread:
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/856002248798810113

lol

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Lol at the pure naivety of some of the posters in this thread

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think I don't dislike Hillary per say as I more so dislike people who ran her campaign and crafted her entire image into a neoliberal masterpiece.
you should probably dislike/hate hillary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmIRYvJQeHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkS9y5t0tR0

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Apr 23, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Banana Republics, correct? (Sad I only really learned about those via "Drunk History". Our education system needs to really be better).
US foreign policy during the cold war is abominable
https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Hope-C-I-Interventions-II-Updated/dp/1567512526
you can glance at the table of contents here:
https://williamblum.org/books/killing-hope/
Note that there are no signs of this poo poo slowing down post cold war.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bring back the draft

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually just stop doing war stuffs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

War!
Huh!
Good God y'all
What is it good for?
Lots and lots of money!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ignoring everything else, do you think that Chelsea and the Clinton cult believe she became an Oxford Scholar totally on her own merits and not because she's a child of privilege whose parents run a patronage network? Because I bet they do.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Most people can do the work involved of these high-prestige jobs or college degrees but to actually get the opportunity you either have to be well-connected or 5x as competent as necessary to make up for it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Most people can do the work involved of these high-prestige jobs or college degrees but to actually get the opportunity you either have to be well-connected or 5x as competent as necessary to make up for it.

Have you seen W's college grades?

The main thing why the 1%er kids get ahead is that having rich parents opens a huge amount of opportunity through all various types of nepotism whether it's finding the first job, being able to go to a overpriced private magnet school or getting special treatment at the uni due to the parents being big ticket donors.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

The main thing why the 1%er kids get ahead is that having rich parents opens a huge amount of opportunity through all various types of nepotism whether it's finding the first job, being able to go to a overpriced private magnet school or getting special treatment at the uni due to the parents being big ticket donors.

Bush Jr was like incredibly dumb by any standards.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Not a Step posted:

Also, inflation theoretically benefits debtors because they get to pay back their debt with inflated money. In reality though expected inflation is usually priced into interest rates so debtors don't benefit unless they have fixed rate interest and actual inflation was higher than expected. But if actual inflation exceeds expected inflation it benefits debtors at the expense of creditors.

In the late 19th century the American populist movement was basically campaigning for higher inflation precisely because it wiped away debts owed by poor farmers, by allowing coins to be minted from silver AND gold instead of just (bi-metalism)

William Jenning Bryan (a forerunner of later left-wing movements in many ways) ran on this, won the democratic nomination three times and almost won the presidency once

Typo has issued a correction as of 03:07 on Apr 24, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
For all people talk about how the Republicans and Democrats switched positions: this was only true of social/racial issues: the democrats were pretty much always the economic populists before last year (and probably will be again)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

etalian posted:

I went to Jr. High with a GOP diehard that had moderated significantly when I bumped into him years later. When I asked why, he responded with an anecdote about nepotism.

For quick background, he'd gone to a rich man's university and graduated with either an anthropology or archeology degree and $100,000 in debt. The university connections amounted to an opportunity for a year-long unpaid internship at a national museum in, iirc, Portugal. But, he's normal. Couldn't afford to go out of pocket for a year.

He told me about someone he graduated with. A perfectly nice fellow but of very average intelligence and who happened to have an uncle that ran a boutique hedge fund. This fellow walked into a do-nothing position that his uncle magicked up, and which paid $250,000/year.

I guess that was when he started realizing something was amiss with how the world worked

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Accretionist posted:

I went to Jr. High with a GOP diehard that had moderated significantly when I bumped into him years later. When I asked why, he responded with an anecdote about nepotism.

For quick background, he'd gone to a rich man's university and graduated with either an anthropology or archeology degree and $100,000 in debt. The university connections amounted to an opportunity for a year-long unpaid internship at a national museum in, iirc, Portugal. But, he's normal. Couldn't afford to go out of pocket for a year.

He told me about someone he graduated with. A perfectly nice fellow but of very average intelligence and who happened to have an uncle that ran a boutique hedge fund. This fellow walked into a do-nothing position that his uncle magicked up, and which paid $250,000/year.

I guess that was when he started realizing something was amiss with how the world worked

:lol:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Shear Modulus posted:

We only think he's dumb because school & standardized tests don't take into consideration the unique needs and talents of a fake east coast cowboy boss baby who probably cranked it in a coffin while looking at the skull of a native american at least once.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 21 hours!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always felt there was a lot of similarities towards how the dems ran this past campaign, past couple of years to how Jimmy Carter was acting during the late 70's.

"Oh hey. I'm out of work. I can't find gas to fuel my car. You're telling me to crank down my heat during a brutal rear end winter. Please..we elected you t help us Mr. Carter"

"You know what? it's YOUR fault! You guys have been living too high off the hog!"

Kinda reminds me how Hillary, and her surrogates were dismissive of people who were struggling economically.

gently caress you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 21 hours!)

I left my car idling in line at the gas station for a loving hour and now I'm out of gas!

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
lol owned

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Accretionist posted:

I'm glad of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

anime was right posted:

why me i have a loose idea of how economics work, but someone more informed than me should probably make it lol

If this election taught us anything, it's that ignorance is never a disqualifier from being proactive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I think political dynasties get more cringe worthy and incompetent with age.

It's how you go from Bush senior to the low energy failed Jeb!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Accretionist posted:

For quick background, he'd gone to a rich man's university and graduated with either an anthropology or archeology degree and $100,000 in debt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inxoRyD9c-8

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile, that American politics is a lot alike Europe on the eve of The Great War, it's a precarious system built by far smarter people that is falling apart because their successors were far less talented. And we see in American politics today. Christ, Clinton was as paranoid as Nixon but had so much less talent while being half as corrupt.

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

KomradeX posted:

This is something I've been thinking about for awhile, that American politics is a lot alike Europe on the eve of The Great War, it's a precarious system built by far smarter people that is falling apart because their successors were far less talented. And we see in American politics today. Christ Clinton was as paranoid as Nixon but had so much less talent while being half as corrupt.

Edit: misread what you said

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

I think political dynasties get more cringe worthy and incompetent with age.

It's how you go from Bush senior to the low energy failed Jeb!

the real alpha in the Bush line was Prescott Bush because he almost attempted a fascist coup against FDR

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think the biggest problem we face is that our system, much like Europe prior to WWI, is working under conditions so far removed from the conditions as they existed when the system was created, that it is becoming increasingly dysfunctional because of an accumulation of small, but increasingly numerous problems that fell outside of what the Founders considered, and which haven't been dealt with.

I certainly don't think that we're on the outbreak of war, but I do think that we are heading for some kind of a political reckoning in much the same way that Europe was barrelling towards war.

Not sure what that flash point will be, but we've got our yearly potential government shutdown on the horizon and while I don't think this year will be the year it boils over, we're going to the brink every year and at some point, one side or the other is gonna miscalculate and start a real crisis that affects people's day to day lives.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the government has been affecting minorities' and poor peoples' day to day lives for generations now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Azathoth posted:

I think the biggest problem we face is that our system, much like Europe prior to WWI, is working under conditions so far removed from the conditions as they existed when the system was created, that it is becoming increasingly dysfunctional because of an accumulation of small, but increasingly numerous problems that fell outside of what the Founders considered, and which haven't been dealt with.

I certainly don't think that we're on the outbreak of war, but I do think that we are heading for some kind of a political reckoning in much the same way that Europe was barrelling towards war.

Not sure what that flash point will be, but we've got our yearly potential government shutdown on the horizon and while I don't think this year will be the year it boils over, we're going to the brink every year and at some point, one side or the other is gonna miscalculate and start a real crisis that affects people's day to day lives.

I think the flash point is probably going to be automation. Like it wouldn't surprise me if in the future we refer to it as "the automation crisis" or "the automation depression."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJYfx9PtKw

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shear Modulus posted:

the government has been affecting minorities' and poor peoples' day to day lives for generations now

they aren't people enough. gotta be white people that feel the squeeze unfortunately

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Sorry, that was poorly phrased, I did not mean to imply that there wasn't actual harm being done on a day to day basis.

My point, which I will stand by, is that there's been relatively little political cost for the existing gridlock because it hasn't caused a significant negative change in the day to day lives of the voting blocs that each side relies on to get elected, and what change their has been, each side has been able to effectively blame on the other side.

It's not a sustainable situation, and, like I said, I think we're heading for a reckoning because of it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

gently caress you.

If it helps? I think Jimmy Carter was probably the last decent man to run the country. I think he came in at the wrong time sadly (Imagine him running the country during the 90's or 2000's during times of relative peace)

I just think whomever was in charge of crafting the malaise speech was incredibly dumb. (and he did wind up firing people like crazy afterwards).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think the flash point is probably going to be automation. Like it wouldn't surprise me if in the future we refer to it as "the automation crisis" or "the automation depression."

"Butlerian Jihad"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's a good point.

The way that I look at it, we're in the middle of a seismic economic shift, and have been for a long time, as the U.S. moves away from manual industrial manufacturing and towards service and automation, in much the same way that our country once went through a transition from a rural, agrarian economy to that industrialized manufacturing economy a century (or more) ago.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're seeing a resurgence of the "Progressive" label, which was a somewhat ideologically nebulous movement that largely was about reforming the country and economy in response to the excesses caused by that transition to industrialization.

There's a lot of people who have been left behind by the economy, and that we're ripe for a new progressivism to emerge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
my friend was in Ukraine and

the plot thickens

what else are the russian-trump crypto communists up to?

• Locked thread