Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

my friend was in Ukraine and

the plot thickens

what else are the russian-trump crypto communists up to?

It's rebranded Bud Lite
Because it's pissssssssssssssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

LGD posted:

"Butlerian Jihad"

no it will only be rendered in sequences of binary because lmao if you think for a second humans can take skynet

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tunicate posted:

It's rebranded Bud Lite

the piss tapes

Trump beer

There must be a connection

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

the piss tapes

Trump beer

There must be a connection

*lives in a room wallpapered with newspapers and head shots connected by countless different colored strings*

i know there is a connection

*exhales vape*

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think the flash point is probably going to be automation. Like it wouldn't surprise me if in the future we refer to it as "the automation crisis" or "the automation depression."

Yep, which is why you should do everything you can to motivate everyone you know to campaign for single-payer, free college tuition, and even a basic income starting now.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Tunicate posted:

It's rebranded Bud Lite

it does taste like piss now that i think about it; i suppose that's why I avoid it at rust belt campaign rallies

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The effects of automation is a little overstated, ai isn't easy or comprehensive as people think

The cause is capital accumulation and deindustrialization

Yet MAD means there's no big war to destroy capital and return profitability

And the presence of the internet has changed everything

The existence of the internet alone means a classics WW1 scenario is impossible

I think the deciding factor has to be technology, but not of the automation kind. Does technology only serve the interests of the powerful? If it does, we lose. If it can be repurposed for our needs, we win.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

rudatron posted:

The effects of automation is a little overstated, ai isn't easy or comprehensive as people think

The cause is capital accumulation and deindustrialization

Yet MAD means there's no big war to destroy capital and return profitability

And the presence of the internet has changed everything

The existence of the internet alone means a classics WW1 scenario is impossible

I think the deciding factor has to be technology, but not of the automation kind. Does technology only serve the interests of the powerful? If it does, we lose. If it can be repurposed for our needs, we win.

it can be repurposed for the proletariat, or precariat if you will, but people have to be willing to inform themselves in order to do so

they must inform themselves, because the information will not be provided to them, and because of this there are plenty of people shouting without understanding their subject matter or effectuating any actual change

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
OP the answer is "Boy that Trump fella, I just don't know."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hello, Mr. Kasich.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

This matters for white collar jobs but for traditional blue collar employment yeah they are screwed, automation has being an ongoing trend since the 1970s: it's just that with automated cars instead of machinery improvements which reduces factory by 1% at a time people are finally waking up to it

quote:

deindustrialization
case in point here: there is no deindustrialization:

but industrial employment does not keep up with manufacturing growth

Typo has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's weird how Marx's model was so predictive and descriptive but ~because stalin~ people think he just said to kill rich people, government should nationalize all industry or w/e

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Modest Mao posted:

It's weird how Marx's model was so predictive and descriptive but ~because stalin~ people think he just said to kill rich people, government should nationalize all industry or w/e

Marx never predicted the rise of a service industry to match employment in factories: his model basically had everyone unemployed decades ago if it turned out correctly

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Service industry wages and working conditions aren't much better than being unemployed

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

KomradeX posted:

Service industry wages and working conditions aren't much better than being unemployed

the service industry is a lot more than guys working in walmarts

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

And did you think horrid working conditions isn't the majority of life for people in the service industry? Cause knowing plenty of college grads stuck in it, it's loving awful

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

KomradeX posted:

And did you think horrid working conditions isn't the majority of life for people in the service industry? Cause knowing plenty of college grads stuck in it, it's loving awful

the service sector is 80% of US gdp so yes there are gonna be lovely jobs in it

but healthcare (almost 1/5 of the economy) is also a service sector industry and there are plenty of good jobs in it

Oh and healthcare alone is prob gonna match all manufacturing industry as % of US gdp pretty soon

according to marx we would have like 70-80% unemployment prob

Typo has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Apr 25, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

the service industry is a lot more than guys working in walmarts

The labor participation rate has steadily been going down since the '08 recession. Everything lines up with capitalist crisis theory.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

The fact that all the future jobs involve mortgaging your soul for a degree so that you can struggle desperately with insurance companies in order to get paid, all so that you can wring a few moments of life from the rattling bones of generations past--this is not an indication of a healthy economy.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Modest Mao posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YjH2T4d-ZWE

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Best Giraffe posted:

The fact that all the future jobs involve mortgaging your soul for a degree so that you can struggle desperately with insurance companies in order to get paid, all so that you can wring a few moments of life from the rattling bones of generations past--this is not an indication of a healthy economy.

Heh, someones never heard of #Vanlife

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Typo posted:

the service sector is 80% of US gdp so yes there are gonna be lovely jobs in it

but healthcare (almost 1/5 of the economy) is also a service sector industry and there are plenty of good jobs in it

Oh and healthcare alone is prob gonna match all manufacturing industry as % of US gdp pretty soon

:aaaaa:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Honestly all you need to do to adapt to automation is

1. close tax loopholes and tax capital gains as income
2. implement a basic income

Unfortunately they're virtually impossible right now and even when they're absolutely necessary instead of just good it'll be like pulling teeth to get them enacted.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Honestly all you need to do to adapt to automation is

1. close tax loopholes and tax capital gains as income
2. implement a basic income

Unfortunately they're virtually impossible right now and even when they're absolutely necessary instead of just good it'll be like pulling teeth to get them enacted.

I honestly have no idea how to deal with tax evasion via capital mobility

how do you prevent ppl from having shell companies in Ireland? I guess we can eventually invade the Cayman islands but I don't think we can invade Ireland.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Typo posted:

how do you prevent ppl from having shell companies in Ireland? I guess we can eventually invade the Cayman islands but I don't think we can invade Ireland.

Hold our markets hostage.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Typo posted:

Seal team six except tax evasion

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hold our markets hostage.

It's seriously this simple and it's the solution to other international economic race-to-the-bottom problems like outsourcing to slave labor and climate change resolution noncompliance but nobody in the U.S. has the balls to do it, not even "protectionist" "Deal From Strength" Trump.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's seriously this simple and it's the solution to other international economic race-to-the-bottom problems like outsourcing to slave labor and climate change resolution noncompliance but nobody in the U.S. has the balls to do it, not even "Deal From Strength" Trump.

the labor standard part is literally what TPP tried to do and it got killed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Typo posted:

the labor standard part is literally what TPP tried to do and it got killed

TPP was totally toothless, all it said was that certain laws had to exist, not their specifics. I.e. you would comply with the agreement if your country's minimum wage was 50 cents or that workers could not work more than 90 hours a week.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also TPP let companies sue governments for not being pro corporate enough.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Typo posted:

Capital controls, forced reporting of foreign accounts owned by Americans (like was in a tiny baby step with FATCA which the financial industry has been bitching and moaning about for years and which is circumventable with shell companies so extending it to shell companies would be a start), seizure or extremely high taxation of all foreign-owned property.

There are records of who owns every financial asset (otherwise nobody would be able to get the rents or dividends to the owners), they are just privately owned. The recordkeeping should just be nationalized.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahahaahh how the gently caress are tax heavens real Hahahahah just nationalize that poo poo like seize their assets hahahah

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tax havens are stealing our money.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"you will all die! ahahahahaha"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Kingfish posted:

Tax havens are stealing our money.

Bandit Hideouts for Billionaire Bandits out stealing money from the public

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 hours!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

If it helps? I think Jimmy Carter was probably the last decent man to run the country. I think he came in at the wrong time sadly (Imagine him running the country during the 90's or 2000's during times of relative peace)

I just think whomever was in charge of crafting the malaise speech was incredibly dumb. (and he did wind up firing people like crazy afterwards).

gently caress you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 hours!)

Typo posted:

Current unemployment in the US is 41.4% so he's not too far off.

edited because of georgia math

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Apr 26, 2017

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Peanut President posted:

gently caress you.

Listen man it's good you're building houses, but you also really hosed over unions

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
jimmy carter is undoubtedly personally responsible for at least one anaphylaxis-related death due to a nut allergy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what i'm trying to say is that jimmy carter was no angel

• Locked thread