Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Problem description: I use Solidworks 2016/2017 for a lot of school stuff. Previously it ran beautifully on my laptop, even getting through CFD simulations at a resonable pace. Something has gone wrong in the last week or so, though; now, even a completely empty part file has horrendous input lag. As in, when I try and rotate the view, it only updates about once a second, and is fairly far behind my cursor motion even at that rate. Trying to actually sketch or model anything is a complete non-starter.

The weird things are:
-My desktop still runs it perfectly, same OS, both NVIDIA graphics
-Several other people in my club started having identical issues around the same time I did, none of them made any major changes afaik

It doesn't seem like a resource issue; only CPU is anywhere near max (SW uses about 33% in task manager at the moment), and I can simultaneously run Kerbal Space Program (a fairly cpu-intensive game) and it's butter-smooth at the same time that Solidworks is lagging (this with 66% total CPU use).

Attempted fixes: I've tried resetting my computer, and completely un/reinstalled the software. No change.

Recent changes: No.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

System specs:
Lenovo Thinkpad T440p
Processor: Intel i7-4600M 2.9GHz
Memory: 16GB DDR3L
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Plenty of issues immediately after upgrading to windows 10, or related to ancient hardware, but no issues where previously everything was fine like I'm having.

So, any "you should have checked this first you dummy" stuff before I try contacting Dassault Systemes directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you updated your nVidia and Intel graphics drivers?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tried that earlier today. New drivers for the onboard graphics, nothing for the graphics card, absolutely no change in behavior.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you checked to make sure it is running on the Nvidia graphics rather than the integrated Intel video? That sounds similar to behavior when games get confused and try to use Intel instead of discrete graphics. Check the Nvidia Control Panel and the specific program settings in there. You also might see what the power preference is, and see if setting it to Prefer Maximum Performance for Solidworks helps at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So Solidworks, both the main program and the "resource monitor" that runs alongside it, both showed up on the NVIDIA tray icon popup... thing. Neither was listed under "specific programs" in the actual Control Panel, but I added them and set both to always prefer the GPU and still no improvement.

Update: On a whim I opened PTC Creo, another 3d CAD program that I barely use, and it's having the exact same problem. Still not using any excessive resources, still super slow to update the view.

E: Setting the slider to prefer performance does nothing.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I was poking around a bit again today, and it turns out disabling my graphics card lets solidworks run just fine on onboard graphics. Guess that settles that it's the card. Drivers are still the latest available, and disabling/reactivating the card didn't fix the issue.

I can work with this for now, but it's still a weird issue. Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can figure something out down the road.

• Locked thread