Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
every inch of my naked body is taut and hungry sinew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you can't outrun my breasts

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want to buy a dozen bibles but my preferred version (NABRE) is rather expensive in print copies (and cheap as digital!)

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Rime posted:

Bushcrafters annoy me. Possibly more than vampire LARPers, and that's saying something. :catstare:

Ray Mears is a saint, sir. Have you no shame?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im going to build a massive still in my rural retreat

and im going to drink to god's glory every single day after the missiles fly

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

what's the simplest way to make yourself indispensable after it all goes wrong? ideally something that is simple to demonstrate to my future neanderthal overlords but difficult to pass on to anybody

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

break-up breakdown posted:

what's the simplest way to make yourself indispensable after it all goes wrong? ideally something that is simple to demonstrate to my future neanderthal overlords but difficult to pass on to anybody

im going for LIQUOR MAKER

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Avshalom posted:

you can't outrun my breasts

pm me

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Goons always looking for the lifehacks.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

hands-on experience with battlefield surgery

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbqh my wife is one of these preppers. I, on the other hand, do not think I could handle life without electronics long term. I go on week-long hiking trips or longer sometimes but knowing that I can never boot up my VR console and go onto FuckMaster3000 and gently caress an anime base would just make life unbearable.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Electrical/mechanical engineering, chemistry, or medicine.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I went to a prepper panel at a con once. Libertarian lesbians talking about putting human remains of raiders in a compost pile. Good times.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skull mask mcgee posted:

Under what scenario do you imagine that whatever's left of an actual standing military won't just come through and take your poo poo?

Sure, raise chickens or whatever(I probably would be if I wasn't renting in the middle of a city), but lmao @ these romanticized delusions about the collapse of society you weirdos have.

Middle of nowhere Montana is not actually getting raided by a standing military (ignoring the odds that a standing military rapidly devolves into roaming and mutually hostile gangs of bandits) because aside from a dozen chickens and some pigs you're not getting anything of military value. If you're at the point where you're rebuilding a civilization and want to start levying taxes, the last thing you do is take all the pigs and chickens away from someone who actually knows how to turn them into a food surplus.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Interestingly, I started a thread a few days ago on the exact scenario described in the OP (a Captain Trips situation) and it isn't being threadshitted to hell and back by Avshalom. If you want to discuss the specific apocalypse of "superbug," head on over!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

good article on prepper fiction

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2016/10/prepper_fiction_reveals_dark_truths.html

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

This is a good point, but indeed that discontinuity may be the very thing most survivalists are seeking. As the synopsis from the book Starshark mentions:

Is, thus, the rising popularity of such pursuits a natural reaction to a society in which scarcity has become largely unknown and the daily struggle to survive is removed for all except the most cripplingly poor? Is this seeking of discontinuity from the norm something which could be sustained post-collapse, then, or would most of these individuals break under the horror of their quaint power fantasy suddenly becoming reality?

If this were, the case, why are you seeing an explosion in preppers precisely when the median household wages of the households in question are trending flat, if not downwards?

I agree that anomie is the cause for prepperism, though. In a world without a compelling vision for the future (to borrow from Adam Curtis), this will be just one of its manifestations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Huffman has calculated that, in the event of a disaster, he would seek out some form of community: “Being around other people is a good thing. I also have this somewhat egotistical view that I’m a pretty good leader. I will probably be in charge, or at least not a slave, when push comes to shove.”

Dude is presupposing a community that relies on slavery. Jesus, it's only the worst sort of people who want to live through the apocalypse.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Middle of nowhere Montana is not actually getting raided by a standing military (ignoring the odds that a standing military rapidly devolves into roaming and mutually hostile gangs of bandits) because aside from a dozen chickens and some pigs you're not getting anything of military value. If you're at the point where you're rebuilding a civilization and want to start levying taxes, the last thing you do is take all the pigs and chickens away from someone who actually knows how to turn them into a food surplus.

Yeah I don't see why they would care about random smallholder farms. It could get pretty rough in the rural expanses though - the government and military would focus on the major metropolitan areas so that's where there will still be some rule of law and best chance of some basic services. Getting food, power, water, medicine etc. to rural Montana will be the last priority.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

every inch of my naked body is taut and hungry sinew

you're born naked and you die naked

circle of life

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
if nuclear war happens humanity would be able to quickly rebuild without the 1st world, lmao. there are plenty of countries that aren't Russia/China/US that have the ability to produce food, technology, and weapons for themselves. nuclear winter or fallout situations are stupid nerd fantasies written by people who have a boner for badly written and unscientific "everyone dies and is hosed" fiction. the only places that would be "blasted back to the stone age" would be america bc people don't give a poo poo about one another here.

if you really want an apocalyptic situation then be worried about, technological upheaval causing massive social unrest, being in an area hit by unchecked global warming, or being hit by a meteor idk those are way more realistic than assuming nukes are going to turn earth into the cartoon ice age movie

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As long as you discount the fact that the US and Russia have enough warheads to encompass every habitable place on earth within at least a secondary blast radius, sure thing

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

call to action posted:

As long as you discount the fact that the US and Russia have enough warheads to encompass every habitable place on earth within at least a secondary blast radius, sure thing

every single declassified document from the US and Russia very clearly state that every single one of their warheads are going to be used targeting the other actor in a nuclear war because that is the only viable military strategy. wasting nukes and valuable time aiming them to blow up some south american country is so laughable and stupid that it isn't seriously considered by anyone who would be selecting targets in a theoretical nuclear war

there are a shitload of deep bunkers, airports, and other military targets in Russia/US that have to be hit by multiple nukes and then some more just to be sure you get 'em down. The USSR's strategy, fyi, was to use multiple and excessive nukes hitting singular military targets with multiple airbursts and then ground strikes a few hours/days later to make sure they are dead dead dead.

mutually assured destruction has never meant "humanity goes extinct", it means "we will ensure that both of our countries cease to exist in order to deter a nuclear war from actually happening"

Argentum fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
They could do that but it seems a little pointless. It's not like random countries in Africa will have any incentive to invade the nuclear blasted hellscapes of Russia or the US.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always figured the American apocalypse is a lot more likely to look like Snow Crash than anything else. You'd end up with a ton of fragmented little enclaves of varying degrees of liberty, a lot of violence where those enclaves meet, islands of relative stability, and a lot of random environmental damage as, without a central federal authority, people go full-blown gently caress You, Got Mine.

The mistake "preppers" all seem to make is the seeming assumption they're preparing for a limited nuclear exchange and/or zombies. If you were really serious about all of this, you'd have a tight-knit relationship with your neighbors, a decent knowledge of sustainable agriculture, a home garden, and maybe a stake in an isolated permaculture settlement. Having a lot of emergency supplies on-hand is never exactly a bad idea, but as far as I can tell, the average prepper seems to be under the impression that they'll go to ground for two or five or twenty years, then emerge to be a ruler of the wasteland. It's live-action role-playing in a Mad Max universe.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Wanderer posted:

I always figured the American apocalypse is a lot more likely to look like Snow Crash than anything else. You'd end up with a ton of fragmented little enclaves of varying degrees of liberty, a lot of violence where those enclaves meet, islands of relative stability, and a lot of random environmental damage as, without a central federal authority, people go full-blown gently caress You, Got Mine.

The mistake "preppers" all seem to make is the seeming assumption they're preparing for a limited nuclear exchange and/or zombies. If you were really serious about all of this, you'd have a tight-knit relationship with your neighbors, a decent knowledge of sustainable agriculture, a home garden, and maybe a stake in an isolated permaculture settlement. Having a lot of emergency supplies on-hand is never exactly a bad idea, but as far as I can tell, the average prepper seems to be under the impression that they'll go to ground for two or five or twenty years, then emerge to be a ruler of the wasteland. It's live-action role-playing in a Mad Max universe.

agreed. really, if you want to prep for the apocalypse you're much better off moving to some quaint, non-major country in a place that won't be too badly hosed by global warming. american "gently caress you, got mine" mentality is the thing you'd want to be farthest away from if poo poo were to ever hit the fan. having a community you can trust and rely on will take you much father than any bunker-prep will.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This community can come together in the largest Goonmeet ever seen to survive the desperate days ahead.

I volunteer to curate the wiki.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Baloogan posted:

im going to build a massive still in my rural retreat

and im going to drink to god's glory every single day after the missiles fly

go on and buy some small cappable bottles so you can sell your excess still production, and by "sell" of course I mean trade for virgins and ammo

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Interestingly, I started a thread a few days ago on the exact scenario described in the OP (a Captain Trips situation) and it isn't being threadshitted to hell and back by Avshalom. If you want to discuss the specific apocalypse of "superbug," head on over!
my friend, when the end times come you will wish you'd listened to the voice from the wilderness

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Peven Stan posted:

each mormon household is expected to stock at least a year's worth of food.

what do mormons know that we don't? makes u think
Mormons know that the federal government has absolutely no problem with murdering people because of their religious differences - no matter how far you run, and no matter how lovely your choice of settlement is in terms of being valuable land to anyone.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im more worried about like, all the banks stop working for a month than i am a nuclear war

h*ck, im more worried about having a flat tire on a poo poo rural road than i am about anything else

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bates posted:

Yeah I don't see why they would care about random smallholder farms. It could get pretty rough in the rural expanses though - the government and military would focus on the major metropolitan areas so that's where there will still be some rule of law and best chance of some basic services. Getting food, power, water, medicine etc. to rural Montana will be the last priority.

This is basically the pattern we see in real instances of state collapse and widespread insecurity. When things get bad world people are the first ones abandoned by the government, and are the ones most severely affected by the depredations of anarchy, primarily because they can't defend themselves. Chickens and cattle are absolutely a strategic resource no matter how well prepared an individual families they're not going to have any hope defending them from armies.

For example after the Somali government dissolved in 1991 The country underwent a massive increase in urbanization, as agriculturalists and Pastora lists were displaced into Mogadishu, even as the city was racked by violence, because the countryside was even worse.

During the 30 years war the previously dispersed rural population wad concentrated into defensible hamlets. Similar patterns emerge from archaeological research and other areas in regions as well, when people feel safe they spread out, when things become insecure violent and dangerous they are drawn together. There is safety in numbers.

Of course it's absurd to talk about any of these scenarios in the United States, either in Montana or anywhere else so this whole conversation is kind of ridiculous. Actual outcomes of any calamity are going to depend very much on the specifics of the scenario, so you can't see much outside the broadest generalizations, unless you have a very specific calamity in mind.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When #45 was elected, I bought a months worth of freeze dried food. I rationalized it by saying I can always use it to go camping, but what I'm actually afraid of is another Katrina if CA gets hit by a big earthquake.

I'm sure FEMA is going to be in greeeaaaat shape in this administration, and we will definitely get high priority help what with us being godless liberals who Deserve It and all. Also thinking about getting a gun, as I do have previous experience using them growing up in rural PA.

This has been my prepping story.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

When #45 was elected, I bought a months worth of freeze dried food. I rationalized it by saying I can always use it to go camping, but what I'm actually afraid of is another Katrina if CA gets hit by a big earthquake.

I'm sure FEMA is going to be in greeeaaaat shape in this administration, and we will definitely get high priority help what with us being godless liberals who Deserve It and all. Also thinking about getting a gun, as I do have previous experience using them growing up in rural PA.

This has been my prepping story.

Assuming you already own a pre-ban legal ar15...

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Wanderer posted:

I recently read a prepper board and they already know that. County hicks are more inclusive than you think. They probably already marry into each other's families. Survivalists/Preppers are like a religion and like minded people congregate.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

temple posted:

I recently read a prepper board and they already know that. County hicks are more inclusive than you think. They probably already marry into each other's families. Survivalists/Preppers are like a religion and like minded people congregate.

It's not enough to have a couple dozen cousins though. Like if you look at Somalia when their government collapsed what filled in the gap? You had warlords with hundreds or l thousand followers who started providing security. The more people you have will work with you the more secure you are.

Like when states collapse the first thing to go is long term thinking. No one will care about tax revenue five years in the future when they're starving to death today. Anything of any use right now will be taken and consumed regardless of future consequences.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yes, a prepper thread! Glad I'm getting in on the ground level on this.

Hi Avs!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My plan for the apocalypse is bullet to my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just prep for a flat tire, put a flat of bottled water in yo car and one for your house and like 99% of all disasters will be fine :/

• Locked thread