Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
apocalypse fantasy is always so weird. It is always a wish about "going back" to some historical time period the author decided is good. Like no one ever has radios or anything unless they find some weird world war II nautical radio even if it's like a month after civilization collapsed.

Someone write a sci-fi story about a post apocalyptic farming village that has a bunch of ipads and solar charging docks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Organized crime, the Klan and churches( the conservative cult like type) would be well placed to survive. Especially the klan, they are deeply entrenched and well liked in certain areas, they have a large network of supporters and sympathetics to call upon, their members are well armed and experienced in mobilizing as a force. Joining the mormons, a gang or the klan is not a bad idea if you want to prepare for the imminent fall end of industrial civilization.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baudolino posted:

Joining the mormons, a gang or the klan is not a bad idea if you want to prepare for the imminent fall end of industrial civilization.

Or in the event of space demons attacking and the US government instantly collaborating.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baudolino posted:

Organized crime, the Klan and churches( the conservative cult like type) would be well placed to survive. Especially the klan, they are deeply entrenched and well liked in certain areas, they have a large network of supporters and sympathetics to call upon, their members are well armed and experienced in mobilizing as a force. Joining the mormons, a gang or the klan is not a bad idea if you want to prepare for the imminent fall end of industrial civilization.

Seems like they would be well outclassed by the military. Not that an apocalypse run by mormons and the mob wouldn't be entertaining.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Someone write a sci-fi story about a post apocalyptic farming village that has a bunch of ipads and solar charging docks.

John Michael Greer has just published the novel "Retrotopia", which might be just that: It depicts the US in the year 2065 as a fractured mass of states, most of which are badly pressured by resource & energy scarcity + the results of early climate change. However, most of the novel is focused on a smaller republic which manages to thrive in this turbulent time - because they accept that the 'good times' of almost unlimited cheap (fossil) energy are gone, never to return. Instead they focus on the simple technological solutions of the 19th and early 20th century (before the big fossil bubble) and try to keep their society as lean as possible - while appearing as uninteresting as they can to their desperate neighbours. So basically you have a country where people 'use up' the few modern pieces of technology that are left as efficiently as possible while refocussing their simplified economy on small-scale agriculture (go horsies!) and the simplest forms of industrial production.

Living standards are kind of 1800-1930 with added antibiotics - so kinda ok if you don't develop cancer.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Calibanibal posted:

i and some friends are going to raid preppers for their supplies. good luck defending your canned beans from 20 heavily armed and well-trained raiders, dorks

My plan as well. We can merge our groups and go after the bigger prepper communities.

My favorite is the defenses they have. Failing to take into account all we have to do is find your air supply and you are hosed without even ever firing a shot.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

I recently read a prepper board and they already know that. County hicks are more inclusive than you think. They probably already marry into each other's families. Survivalists/Preppers are like a religion and like minded people congregate.

Yeah, I've read a questionable amount my fair share of prepper material and prepper fiction and one of the common themes for success you see suggested and portrayed is the cultivation of close-knit communities/mutual aid groups. Ham radio, for example, is a big deal to preppers, in order to maintain their aid networks in the event of a widespread outage of the normal communication systems. A lot of preppers also tend to be very religious and work with their coreligionists to establish these mutual aid networks.

Baloogan posted:

just prep for a flat tire, put a flat of bottled water in yo car and one for your house and like 99% of all disasters will be fine :/

That flat of water will last you two to three days at best, you fool! And don't think I didn't note the lack of any mention of alcohol.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

gizmojumpjet posted:

Yeah, I've read a questionable amount my fair share of prepper material and prepper fiction and one of the common themes for success you see suggested and portrayed is the cultivation of close-knit communities/mutual aid groups. Ham radio, for example, is a big deal to preppers, in order to maintain their aid networks in the event of a widespread outage of the normal communication systems. A lot of preppers also tend to be very religious and work with their coreligionists to establish these mutual aid network.
Yeah, my family is from the south and dirt roads type of places. A lot of family, of different racial backgrounds, are connected in ways you wouldn't expect. If something bad happened, they would probably miss cable tv and that's it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

temple posted:

Yeah, my family is from the south and dirt roads type of places. A lot of family, of different racial backgrounds, are connected in ways you wouldn't expect. If something bad happened, they would probably miss cable tv and that's it.

Huh, I'd expect most southerners to at least miss air-condition. It wouldn't bother them having to turn a tree into firewood every time they need to heat water or it gets cold? Or pumping/fetching water. Oh it's laundry day, literally the only thing I will do today is wash clothes, sure don't miss disposable diapers! It's a massive change of lifestyle but more power to them if they can just make that switch.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I think the main thing we would miss would be the basics of modern medicine. Not necessarily the fancy stuff that gets you living to 80 rather than 70. But things like vaccination and antibiotics that mean that when you have a kid there's a pretty good change that it won't be dead by 5 (unlike pre-20th century.)

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
how come americans always think a "collapse" will look like a movie, or a video game, with mutated monsters and other ridiculous stuff like weird currency?
why cant you just look at real world examples like syria?

Its thousand times more plausible than living in isolation in a bargain bunker and pretending youre totally not a sitting duck.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Pajser posted:

how come americans always think a "collapse" will look like a movie, or a video game, with mutated monsters and other ridiculous stuff like weird currency?
why cant you just look at real world examples like syria?

Its thousand times more plausible than living in isolation in a bargain bunker and pretending youre totally not a sitting duck.

There are lots different types of preppers, prepping for all different sorts of things. Some fear general economic collapse, others an EMP attack, some an invasion of UN blue helmets, others some sort of disease outbreak. There are a lot of Americans with very impressive arsenals and the know-how to use them effectively.

Some, like myself, mainly worry about a possible lack of potable water or easy access to supermarkets and especially liquor stores in the aftermath of a natural disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake.

This touches on the distinction some, such as myself, make between preppers, who take reasonable precautions to mitigate issues they are likely to face (hurricanes, earthquakes) by preparing for them through stocking food, water treatment, and party supplies, and survivalists who worry more about total societal collapse/Captain Trips/zombies.

Of course, if you create a Venn diagram of these two groups there is often considerable overlap. I mean, once you've got enough canned food and scotch sacked away, why not buy a shitload of guns and ammo? If you've ever had problems getting hold of your relatives in the aftermath of a hurricane because the cellular networks are damaged and overloaded, why not take a test and get your ham radio license? If you've ever seen what happens at gas stations the day before a hurricane hits, why not fill your gas tank up when it goes below three quarters?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm a very important entarpraneur from Silicon Valley with a virtually infinite amount of money and I'm wondering if it's possible to build a fully independent bunker, a place where me, my wife and at least 3 generation of our increasingly inbred decedents could survive after the end of the world? I know that the Russians are selling small, modular nuclear reactors that can run unsupervised for decades, right? We could use these to grow crops inside. We would have to build everything with multiple redundancies in mind and store huge amount of spare parts, but it could be done, correct? I know air recycling is really hard to do so I'm willing to accept some ventilation system with intakes hidden in some secret and inaccessible mountain cave(and enough filter materials stored to run the air filtration for hundreds of years) But that would have to be the only interaction with the outside world, I'm just too scared of raiders.

I'm really skeptical about this entire idea right now, considering that even space stations are highly dependent on regular supply runs from earth. Maybe a hidden underwater sea colony would be more feasible?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm a very important entarpraneur from Silicon Valley with a virtually infinite amount of money and I'm wondering if it's possible to build a fully independent bunker, a place where me, my wife and at least 3 generation of our increasingly inbred decedents could survive after the end of the world? I know that the Russians are selling small, modular nuclear reactors that can run unsupervised for decades, right? We could use these to grow crops inside. We would have to build everything with multiple redundancies in mind and store huge amount of spare parts, but it could be done, correct? I know air recycling is really hard to do so I'm willing to accept some ventilation system with intakes hidden in some secret and inaccessible mountain cave(and enough filter materials stored to run the air filtration for hundreds of years) But that would have to be the only interaction with the outside world, I'm just too scared of raiders.

I'm really skeptical about this entire idea right now, considering that even space stations are highly dependent on regular supply runs from earth. Maybe a hidden underwater sea colony would be more feasible?

Hello my rich friend, don't be afraid - many of your super rich Silicon Valley colleagues have the same fears and are preparing for social/political collapse. Let yourself get inspired by them: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/30/doomsday-prep-for-the-super-rich

The most important lesson many of them are sharing is: if you have built a private hideout and keep a pilot on call to transport your family and yourself to safety - allow him to bring his family too, so he's less likely to kill you :)

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 25, 2017

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer
LOL if you don't have an ultralight in the trunk of your car.

Just LOL.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

SavageGentleman posted:

John Michael Greer has just published the novel "Retrotopia", which might be just that: It depicts the US in the year 2065 as a fractured mass of states, most of which are badly pressured by resource & energy scarcity + the results of early climate change. However, most of the novel is focused on a smaller republic which manages to thrive in this turbulent time - because they accept that the 'good times' of almost unlimited cheap (fossil) energy are gone, never to return. Instead they focus on the simple technological solutions of the 19th and early 20th century (before the big fossil bubble) and try to keep their society as lean as possible - while appearing as uninteresting as they can to their desperate neighbours. So basically you have a country where people 'use up' the few modern pieces of technology that are left as efficiently as possible while refocussing their simplified economy on small-scale agriculture (go horsies!) and the simplest forms of industrial production.

Living standards are kind of 1800-1930 with added antibiotics - so kinda ok if you don't develop cancer.

This actually sounds pretty interesting! I like reading about minifarming techniques and people doing Mad-Max-ish "trash engineering," and preppers tend to pop up when you read about those kinds of things. This sounds like it focuses on the bits I actually have in common with them.

e: and then I looked up the book and found this:

About the Author posted:

John Michael Greer is an author of over thirty books and the blogger behind The Archdruid Report. He also serves as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America. His work addresses a range of subjects, including peak oil and the future of industrial society. He lives in Cumberland, Maryland with his wife.

:getin:

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 25, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Oh, poo poo, that's the Archdruid Report guy. He's a big ol' collapsenik.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Could you please explain what is an archdruid?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WrenP-Complete posted:

Could you please explain what is an archdruid?

It's like the pope, for people who like getting naked and communing with trees and stuff.

Greer is a good writer tho, he puts out more coherent stuff and comes off as way less crazy than most people in the collapse circle.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I'm listening to an interview with him. He's a funny guy - small local wind turbines are cool and good because then you can listen to music on your radio but big wind turbines are bird killing monstrosities that just feed the illusion that we can keep the lights on in New York. Nuclear is uneconomical so we can't use that and we'll apparently just dismantle industrial society rather than paying a little more for electricity.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bates posted:

I'm listening to an interview with him. He's a funny guy - small local wind turbines are cool and good because then you can listen to music on your radio but big wind turbines are bird killing monstrosities that just feed the illusion that we can keep the lights on in New York. Nuclear is uneconomical so we can't use that and we'll apparently just dismantle industrial society rather than paying a little more for electricity.
I think in a lot of cases once it gets past the "have a kit to survive in case of natural disaster," it becomes an artistic statement on preparing to live in a society that satisfies you emotionally in some way. Not necessarily positively - I've seen a whole bunch of these with an obsessive focus on the black people coming swarming out of the city like carpenter ants once the food stamps stop getting doled out.

I saw this a lot with the peak oil people a few years back (that seems to have died down)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think in a lot of cases once it gets past the "have a kit to survive in case of natural disaster," it becomes an artistic statement on preparing to live in a society that satisfies you emotionally in some way. Not necessarily positively - I've seen a whole bunch of these with an obsessive focus on the black people coming swarming out of the city like carpenter ants once the food stamps stop getting doled out.

I saw this a lot with the peak oil people a few years back (that seems to have died down)

It just goes to show how lost in fantasy these people are; when famines hit it's always the rural population which dies first.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Statistically speaking, the most likely civilization collapse here in the US would be a slow, grinding civil war between different political/ethnic factions under an increasingly totalitarian/dysfunctional government with secessionist movements and foreign interference. These types of wars have been extremely common in the 20th and 21st centuries. Somalia, Ukraine, Syria, Yugoslavia, Sudan, Yemen, Congo, Rwanda, Colombia, etc.

When the government is totally inept & brutal but there is no spark that ignites widespread civil violence, you get Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Insofar as nuclear winter, the most widely cited (recent) studies (that I could find) were in 2007 and 2014.

The 2007 study from the Journal of Geophysical Research focused on full global nuclear exchange, and concluded 150 Tg of smoke injected into the atmosphere with a -18 degrees Fahrenheit drop in temperature globally.
Over land, the effect would be significantly more pronounced, with temperatures in North America dropping by 68 degrees Fahrenheit and by 86 degrees Fahrenheit over most of Eurasia, including all agricultural regions. Global precipitation would be reduced by 45%. These effects would last for many years.

The 2014 study by people in the US National Center for Atmospheric Research concluded that even a regional, small-scale nuclear conflict would do a lot of damage to the ozone and reduce growing seasons by 10-40% for 5 years due to more frequent frosts. They theorize that the combined increased pressure on terrestrial life from UV radiation and the cooling temperatures could also create a global nuclear famine.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I been tryin' to design a rig with a tandem bike an' a canoe, such that you can haul the canoe behind the bike, or pack the bike into the canoe and safely travel by water.

Two people, two packs, a couple hammocks, a decent tent... and the ability to travel (without fossil fuels) anywhere there's pavement or calm water.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Rime posted:

It's like the pope, for people who like getting naked and communing with trees and stuff.

Greer is a good writer tho, he puts out more coherent stuff and comes off as way less crazy than most people in the collapse circle.

I presume the collapse circle is like a normal druid circle, but with stacks of Jared Diamond books instead of standing stones, yes?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Goon Danton posted:

This actually sounds pretty interesting! I like reading about minifarming techniques and people doing Mad-Max-ish "trash engineering," and preppers tend to pop up when you read about those kinds of things. This sounds like it focuses on the bits I actually have in common with them.

I met one of his followers at a party. As we got increasingly drunk he got increasingly morose, because he'd lost some of his brethren. To what? They got surprised by Katrina. Druids, surprised by a natural event.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Are there different factions of preppers, based on what disaster they're bracing for? Like, people worried about climate disruption and people worried about an impending race war are probably coming at this with very different worldviews, and I'm wondering if they argue with each other or don't interact much.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Preppers, much like goons, rarely interact with people outside the house.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There are entire prepping communities in Idaho, Montana, etc. Louis Theroux did a great segment with them, they seem way cooler than goons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

I assume that was a split from the Reformed Druids of North America.

No I don't know why I know that RDNA is a thing.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

call to action posted:

There are entire prepping communities in Idaho, Montana, etc. Louis Theroux did a great segment with them, they seem way cooler than goons.

Are they related to the white nationalists building compounds in those states?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Squalid posted:

It's not enough to have a couple dozen cousins though. Like if you look at Somalia when their government collapsed what filled in the gap? You had warlords with hundreds or l thousand followers who started providing security. The more people you have will work with you the more secure you are.

Like when states collapse the first thing to go is long term thinking. No one will care about tax revenue five years in the future when they're starving to death today. Anything of any use right now will be taken and consumed regardless of future consequences.

the mormon church will fill the gap gently caress yeah

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Sergg posted:

Insofar as nuclear winter, the most widely cited (recent) studies (that I could find) were in 2007 and 2014.

The 2007 study from the Journal of Geophysical Research focused on full global nuclear exchange, and concluded 150 Tg of smoke injected into the atmosphere with a -18 degrees Fahrenheit drop in temperature globally.
Over land, the effect would be significantly more pronounced, with temperatures in North America dropping by 68 degrees Fahrenheit and by 86 degrees Fahrenheit over most of Eurasia, including all agricultural regions. Global precipitation would be reduced by 45%. These effects would last for many years.

The 2014 study by people in the US National Center for Atmospheric Research concluded that even a regional, small-scale nuclear conflict would do a lot of damage to the ozone and reduce growing seasons by 10-40% for 5 years due to more frequent frosts. They theorize that the combined increased pressure on terrestrial life from UV radiation and the cooling temperatures could also create a global nuclear famine.

Nuclear war = GG, thx for playing. Nuclear winter or not.

I mean, every single major city in the first & second world will be struck by an MIRV. The total amount of radioactive material salting the Earth from the exchanges, the collapse of infrastructure & vital services, the survivors having to deal with the fact that probably most of their friends & family were roasted in the burning cities...

We'd go extinct. Most surviving people would probably break and commit suicide; those that tried to eke out an existence would be killed in the first early winter that there is no realistic defense against or when accidentally stumbling into an area saturated with radiation that they couldn't detect.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
No, aside from salted devices which have never been demonstrated to function properly, fallout from nuclear devices decays within one to six months depending on yield.

We effectively had a full-scale nuclear war through the 60's and 70's, with hundreds of devices being surface and air tested.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rime posted:

No, aside from salted devices which have never been demonstrated to function properly, fallout from nuclear devices decays within one to six months depending on yield.

We effectively had a full-scale nuclear war through the 60's and 70's, with hundreds of devices being surface and air tested.

gently caress those egghead "scientists", this guy here knows what's up. I've played some Fallout:NV back in the days and it's gonna be fine. The smart and the strong will make it.

e: poo poo, I caught some dysentery on my first day, help

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

gently caress those egghead "scientists", this guy here knows what's up. I've played some Fallout:NV back in the days and it's gonna be fine. The smart and the strong will make it.

What scientist said nuclear war would be actual literal extinction? Instead of just "the worst thing to ever happen"?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Rime posted:

Man, just a 'mere' six months. Half of year of poisoned Earth would totally be fine, yeah.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

The Ender posted:

Man, just a 'mere' six months. Half of year of poisoned Earth would totally be fine, yeah.

It would be terrible. We just wouldn't go extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rime posted:

It did make all our steel slightly radioactive, that's pretty cool.

Also I believe it's just over 2000 detonations in total.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 28, 2017

• Locked thread