Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I am all kinds of here for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

My favourite episode is Hammer Into Anvil for this.

Hammer Into Anvil is a master class in weaponizing paranoia. I remember also liking "A, B and C", but Hammer Into Anvil was my favorite episode as well, and by a huge margin.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

someone awful. posted:

"The key to escape is the key to escape" seems like a really oblique reference to... Well, the escape key, right? What's up with that?

I know at least one place where that clue would apply and Selenic happened to cruise right past the area where you'd be motivated to want to. It just didn't get in his way.

I might have sworn volubly at the screen when it (didn't) happen.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've managed to crack the clues file, but in so doing, it turns out that there are some fairly major revelations in there. I do not recommend people attempt this unless they already know the game.

I will, however, confirm in spoiler tags that "The Key to Escape is the Key to Escape" is one of the clues, as is "Play Slot #2." Slot Machine #2 dispenses hints as its winnings.

Edit: Also, Selenic, you're suffering avoidable pain, so I might as well be more explicit about the thing I hinted at before: The maze after you get gassed is skippable. Hit the escape key and you teleport to the exit. The key to escape is the key to escape.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 8, 2017

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The immediate goal is for CT% to be 99 or higher and for T5% to be 0 - otherwise we're kicked out with the NOT AN IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCE one line up.

Looking at where T5% is assigned, T5% is the disaster count. The number of acceptable deaths is zero. Likewise, Saboteurs must not be permitted to mess with the water lines.

CT% appears to increase at a steady rate and every time it hits a multiple of 10 it goes to the event routine. Some kind of timer?

So a first cut at this is "last ten events with nobody dying or bombing anything." I'm not completely sure because it's doing some kind of memory I/O in the 2000 range, but I think the counter is only updated when you change a value, perhaps.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Jabor posted:

This seems entirely plausible, in previous plays as things were being decreased it would stop every 10 for an event message. The trick is that it's not just to survive ten events, we have to survive at least ten events and then trigger the end-of-game.

Actually triggering the end-of-game requires us to return from the routine at 2000, which seems to require the value at 16384 to be 185, and I'm not sure what controls that value.

Given what "should" be happening there, I think it might be scanning the keyboard. This might be as simple as picking 9 off the menu. As further evidence of this, 185 is 57 (the ASCII code for '9') + 128 (maybe the top bit = key pressed? It's looping waiting for the value to be at least 128 there for a bit...)

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 9, 2017

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Looking at line 2000, it also looks like events fire continuously while waiting for you to choose a category to modify, but looking at line 2010, it looks like once you've chosen one it no longer fires events until selections are made.

So idling risks disruption for no credit.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

gschmidl posted:

Here's Andrew Plotkin's summary I mentioned I would be posting.

Worth highlighting: as initially designed, the final puzzle requires typing a key that isn't on your keyboard. The detailed instructions it's giving are instructing you how to use Applesoft BASIC's weird copy-paste mechanism it had instead of a screen editor to get those characters out of its printed template.

I'm going to disagree as to the ending there—it's not mocking you for playing the game, only for being imprisoned by it if you were. You didn't have to be. A player intentionally exploring the games operations was, indeed, always in control...

ETA: Come to think of it, the major troll here would be congratulating you on proving your individuality by exactly hewing to the pre-specified behavioural requirements of a long-absent designer. The text it gives continues to work even if you won by modifying the programs in place to unlock options you shouldn't have.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 23, 2017

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I think [=] is supposed to be an ASCII representation of an electrical outlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

SelenicMartian posted:

Seriously, even for 1980, even for Sierra, Mystery House is garbage. It sold only on pretty graphics.

Did a quick check for Games Released In 1980 and hoo boy, not a lot of competition in either direction, to be honest, at least in the home...
... but I think I'd still rather play Akalabeth than Mystery House.

• Locked thread