Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Nonsense, everyone knows the Village is in North Wales.

Well, okay, Portmeirion is:

Sir Clough Williams-Ellis' village-scale folly is an extraordinary place that barely needed any set dressing to play the part of the Village.

One of the earliest environmental campaigners, he set out to prove that you could build something in a beautiful place without tarnishing its beauty.

And it works, Portmeirion is this little Italian village that blends neatly into the surrounding coasts and mountains.

It's full of little trompe l'oeil effects like having the windows on the upper stories be smaller to create an illusion of height.

The Bell Tower is a neat example of it. The first building to be planned, although it started as artistic sketches rather than proper architectural plans (which has caused structural problems in the long term! But hey).

This statue of Hercules needed something to commemorate. It ended up being dedicated "to the Summer of 1959, in Honour of its Splendour". Additional plaques were added later commemorating 1971 and 1975, which "excelled even 1959".

Also, have a boat built into the ground.

(Further Reading: Halstead, Hazeley, Morris and Morris, Bollocks to Alton Towers, 2005)

e: also, fun LP so far, SelenicMartian! I've only seen a few episodes of the Prisoner, but I do have a box set lying around somewhere, this is encouraginng me to see if I can find it and carry on where I left off.

e2: I think how the map works is that it's a rectangular 5x4 grid of 20 houses, but it also wraps around. So the layout is

code:
 1  2  3  4  5
 6  7  8  9 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
but at the same time, because there are always four houses on the screen if you head all the way east from the start you eventually get to

code:
10  6
15 11
because you have the 10 and 15 houses and the wrapped-around 6 and 11 houses. But if you head west from the start you have

code:
 9 10
14 15
Similarly, if you head north from the start you get

code:
16 17
 1  2
from the wrapped around 16 and 17 houses. And if you went east a bunch from there you'd eventually have:

code:
20 16
 5  1
Wrapping around like this is weird but logical, and once you wrap your head around it (ho ho), navigation should be fairly straightforward. And it certainly reinforces the theme of escape being impossible.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The slot machine rolled 230. *Owch*

• Locked thread