Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Davin Valkri posted:

How crazy does the Prisoner-ness get as the game goes on?

Think of it less as a tie-in game and more as being The Prisoner in spirit - the game can and will try to trick you, trap you and lie to you. It can get to the point where you're paranoid about doing anything, because you can't be sure that you're not doing exactly what the game wants you to. If it's similar to any episode of the series, I'd say it's closest to the penultimate episode, with the player in the position of Number Six. It's... an experience, to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

vdate posted:

If you think 'fair' has anything to do with anything in The Prisoner, then you've failed to understand the phrase 'by hook or by crook, we will.'

Admittedly, I'm basing this on the show, but a BIG part of The Prisoner was about loving with the protagonist's head and trying to trick him into revealing the reason for his resignation.

My favourite episode is Hammer Into Anvil for this. The Number 2 of this episode is the most obviously villainous, which results in the death of a young woman. So Six turns the tables on him and runs a plot to render Two utterly paranoid and mad.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ManxomeBromide posted:

Hammer Into Anvil is a master class in weaponizing paranoia. I remember also liking "A, B and C", but Hammer Into Anvil was my favorite episode as well, and by a huge margin.

It stood out to me because it was the first time - and even now, I genuinely can't think of a similar example - I ever saw a main character run a gambit like that on the bad guys. But - and here's the interesting part - you never once feel like Six has crossed a line. You're watching him do the exact same thing The Village has been doing to him for so long and you're with him every step of the way. By the end, you're just in awe of what he's pulled off. And even with The Village deserted, he doesn't even try to escape. He doesn't need to. He's won. It's probably the one, unambiguous victory he achieves in the whole series.

• Locked thread