Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My wife's grandfather served in WW2 and her grandmother did her best to put together a shadowbox of all of his stuff. I retired in 2011 and when I moved in with her 3 years ago (my wife, not her grandmother) and brought my shadowbox along she decided to try and get one made with her grandfather's stuff. She pulled out his DD214, which I helped her understand and it turns out he was a loving no poo poo war hero. We are going to get a new ribbon rack and medals made for the shadowbox because his are in terrible shape. Here's how it currently looks:

We are having a tough time identifying these patches though:

Any help with those three would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Wow, thank you guys for all the information. I shared this with my wife and she was really appreciative of all of the info.

Here is his DD214 and honorable discharge, showing that he was in the 106th AAA:

Here is his Purple Heart award letter:

And just becuase I think it was interesting, here is this:

One other thing - We have paperwork from when he applied for VA benefits and was denied. They said they could not find any record of medical treatment for his gunshot wound, nor was there evidence of him earning the Legion of Merit even though it is on his DD214.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well then so do I :)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Oh man, thank you SO MUCH. I told my wife that there was a chance that at least one of those patches might have been a trade (I have a couple sets of foreign dolphins from my sub days) and when her grandmother put all of his stuff together she just added those in because they were with his stuff.

Not really worried anymore about the missing information - I know that the right personnelman can put whatever into your record and you can just buy any medal you want at the PX, but nothing I have heard about Gus leads me to believe he was like that. We just want to get a nice shadowbox made to go next to mine. We have his burial flag as well. He died when my wife was 5, so there was no chance at all for me to have met him, which I really hate. :(

• Locked thread