Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You guys see that Fox show that's trying to use Survivor imagery and catchphrases for some crappy reality show of theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

You guys see that Fox show that's trying to use Survivor imagery and catchphrases for some crappy reality show of theirs?

Are you talking about Hunted?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I watched Hunted s01e01 because I heard all y'all talking about it and the show loving sucks. Unless it gets better...

Over-produced with poor casting choices. :shrug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

Are you talking about Hunted?

No, it's some Fox poo poo. Kicking & Screaming.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm gonna play hardball here.

Pony: Michaela
Poison: Ozzy

I was actually considering Sierra as a pony. No, she's not gonna win. But of all the relatively invisible people, I think she has the best shot. She's reasonably good at challenges (she actually almost beat Mike on her season, who steamrolled everyone bar Carolyn once Joe was gone). She has some social savvy. She could put up with Dan for the majority of the game, which deserves a medal in and of itself.

Then I remembered Michaela exists. Sorry, Sierra.

As for poison, Tony/Brad are higher up on my 'insufferable' lists, but they'll likely be early boots because of their attitude/threats. Ozzy will likely stick around for longer than is healthy for the average viewer.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mills posted:

I watched Hunted s01e01 because I heard all y'all talking about it and the show loving sucks. Unless it gets better...

Over-produced with poor casting choices. :shrug:

You only met like a third of the teams, one of which gets caught in the first ep, how can you judge the casting?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I hope Sandra wins but I think she'll be the first off her tribe.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This season has made me realize my love for Sandra. While there's a few people that I really enjoyed in the past, I only want the outcome of Sandra winning again again.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Agreed. We need Sandra to win this show again.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ozzy is gonna win.

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Go away.

In all seriousness, just, no.

Here's what I remember from the "fans":

Whatsherface got Shamar to chill the gently caress out and made it to FTC, and lost horribly.

Julia the race car driver actually SHOULD come back, but, per Cochran:

"I wouldn't call Julia vanilla. People line up in the summertime for vanilla. She's much more boring than that."

(I liked Cochran a whole lot, until just about then.)

And... that's... it?

It was a horrible season. No shade on the fans, all of the shade on production. It was smack in the middle of the dark age.

I liked Caramoan a lot (and think that was an entirely fair statement by Cochran) but I realize one's enjoyment of that season is entirely based on how much you like Cochran and how much you can stand Phillip since they got the majority of the air time. Pre-merge was garbage except for episode one and Brandon's meltdown episode 4 and post-merge was pretty bad too except for the tribal council Malcolm, Eddie, and Reynolds were all immune and the majority had to scramble for once.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fallen One posted:

and post-merge was pretty bad too except for the tribal council Malcolm, Eddie, and Reynolds were all immune and the majority had to scramble for once.

I give Malcolm credit for having the idols to play there, and I see the reasoning behind the move, but it came down to one free tribal council, after which they were all booted one after the other. That's what I mean about his arrogance; he made a flashy play that wasn't terribly effective. If he'd held on to his idols and said bye to one of his bros, he gets 6-9 days to scheme and try to get back in with some kind of group, or else wait for magical bullshit to happen amongst the others and keep him safe.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Malcolm's plan there was to threaten with the idols, not play either of them, and hope for the best. He only played his idol in response to Eddie playing to one that he gave him.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Malcolm's plan there was to threaten with the idols, not play either of them, and hope for the best. He only played his idol in response to Eddie playing to one that he gave him.

Which just goes to show the plan wasn't fully thought-through. Granted, I can't blame him too much due to the time constraints (I think he found the second idol literally minutes before they left for Tribal) but in retrospect it's clear he could have played the two idols better.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can someone explain the letter? I've seen it posted before, but didn't watch that season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Professor Shark posted:

Can someone explain the letter? I've seen it posted before, but didn't watch that season

JT and the Heroes had this theory that since the Villains kept voting out men that the tribe was being controlled by a women's alliance. In reality Russell and Parvati were basically running the tribe, but the Heroes had no idea what kind of player Russell was and assumed he was at the mercy of the women. Getting close to the merge the Heroes were down in numbers and know they'd be Pagonged so JT decided to take his idol and give it to Russell with a note that he should use it to save himself and then unite with them in the merge. He managed to pass this to Russell in the challenge and when Russell found it he had the laugh of his life. He shared it with Parvatti who then took up dramatic readings of it the letter to all the Villains as they laughed maniacally at JT's foolishness.

In the big picture it was just a desperate gambit move to avoid a Pagonging and wasn't THAT illogical, especially compared to a move like Erik's classic Black Widow one. But the way it played out with how earnest JT's letter was and how comically villainous Russell and Parvatti were turned it into this hilarious example of "evil will always triumph over good because good is stupid."

Ironically I'm pretty sure Parvatti eventually uses that idol with her own idol to screw over Russell to save the women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_pxPqtX4po

I always felt like the really worse move was post merge when Sandra tried to flip to the heroes to get rid of Russell but Candice or whoever was too stupid to do it and instead flipped to Russell and Parvatti's side only to get picked off by them like a week later. Like, the JT thing is hilarious but if he had kept the idol it probably wouldn't have stopped the Pagonging. Which was the entire reason the Heroes all decided the risk was worth it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 26, 2017

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It was also that Russell did things with idols no one else did before then. He found three on the previous season, and remarked "now they're just giving them to me!"

JT was on the bottom of the hero tribe, so you can see the logic he was using. It's really not his fault that giving up the idol turned into what it was. My favorite part was actually the trailer for the episode. It was "Next time on...Survivor! We've seen some dumb moves before. *Highlights of Erik giving up immunity, Ian stepping down on the final challenge* But next time, we could see a move that tops them all. *Cut to JT in the middle of his tribe, a full beat passes*, JT says "I give my immunity idol to Russell."" End broadcast. It was just too perfect.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

"I wouldn't call Julia vanilla. People line up in the summertime for vanilla. She's much more boring than that."

(I liked Cochran a whole lot, until just about then.)

i dunno that's a good comment imo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Julia was pretty cute but there was nothing to her

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
There's a lot to her. As a person. As a Survivor contestant... she didn't seem to give much.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Cochran realised right away that he'd crossed a line with that comment. It was pretty funny, but he's spent the intervening years apologising profusely to Julia every chance he could get.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
From what I can tell Julia is a professional racecar driver and gives TED talks so good on her.

My great fear for Game Changers is that it's a cast divided between a few big names and a bunch of randos trying to make a name for themselves. This may result in Tony, Sandra, Cirie, Malcolm, and JT being targeted early and we end up with loving Sierra winning the season. Think All-Stars.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
Pony Cirie
Poison Sierra

I know a lot of people don't want people to repeat as much as this, but she's my favorite. There's obviously a huge amount of social interactions we're missing from the first two seasons for her to go from a candidate for first voted off to being gypped out of the final three by it being a final two.

Sierra...I didn't think she really did anything and I didn't like the attitude of the majority alliance in that season. It is quite understandable to pagagong. Is isn't right to have the vitriol they had. Also I really think if any female should come back from that season they really should consider our girl Jenn who was a challenge monster (only she showed it more in the "group" challenges doing for instance a crazy amount of that diving challenge) but maybe not as stratigic as Michaela, who I am happy to see again.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't really have a pony pick, but Sierra is definitely my poision. I can't believe they are bringing her back again, when she's done nothing of note in either of her previous appearances. Replacing the casting directors is probably the easiest change the show could make in terms of cost to benefit. The show would be incredible without all the mactors who've never watched Survivor.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Arcanen posted:

I don't really have a pony pick, but Sierra is definitely my poision. I can't believe they are bringing her back again, when she's done nothing of note in either of her previous appearances. Replacing the casting directors is probably the easiest change the show could make in terms of cost to benefit. The show would be incredible without all the mactors who've never watched Survivor.

Do you mean Ciera? Because Sierra has only been on one season.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

I do indeed!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Lone Goat posted:

i think that makes even funnier.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dugong posted:

i think that makes even funnier.

Aside from the word "either" it pretty much described Sierra anyway

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

JesusSinfulHands posted:

My great fear for Game Changers is that it's a cast divided between a few big names and a bunch of randos trying to make a name for themselves. This may result in Tony, Sandra, Cirie, Malcolm, and JT being targeted early and we end up with loving Sierra winning the season. Think All-Stars.

All-Stars was won by Boston Rob both in spirit and financially, just not in title.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Yeah, people are always down on Boston Rob because it "took him four tries to win".... not really.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No, he lost because he got a millionaire wife out of it! Don't you all understand.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

JT and the Heroes had this theory that since the Villains kept voting out men that the tribe was being controlled by a women's alliance. In reality Russell and Parvati were basically running the tribe, but the Heroes had no idea what kind of player Russell was and assumed he was at the mercy of the women. Getting close to the merge the Heroes were down in numbers and know they'd be Pagonged so JT decided to take his idol and give it to Russell with a note that he should use it to save himself and then unite with them in the merge. He managed to pass this to Russell in the challenge and when Russell found it he had the laugh of his life. He shared it with Parvatti who then took up dramatic readings of it the letter to all the Villains as they laughed maniacally at JT's foolishness.

In the big picture it was just a desperate gambit move to avoid a Pagonging and wasn't THAT illogical, especially compared to a move like Erik's classic Black Widow one. But the way it played out with how earnest JT's letter was and how comically villainous Russell and Parvatti were turned it into this hilarious example of "evil will always triumph over good because good is stupid."

Ironically I'm pretty sure Parvatti eventually uses that idol with her own idol to screw over Russell to save the women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_pxPqtX4po

I always felt like the really worse move was post merge when Sandra tried to flip to the heroes to get rid of Russell but Candice or whoever was too stupid to do it and instead flipped to Russell and Parvatti's side only to get picked off by them like a week later. Like, the JT thing is hilarious but if he had kept the idol it probably wouldn't have stopped the Pagonging. Which was the entire reason the Heroes all decided the risk was worth it.

This was a great summary, but there are 3 important details left out:
-The Heroes were NOT going into the Merge down in numbers; miraculously they had come back from some early losses and were going into the merge 5-5. At worst they could have drawn rocks, but at best...

-They could have flipped Sandra to their side to make it 6-4, who TRIED to flip to the Heroes at the merge and warn them that Russell was playing them, and they all thought that Sandra was lying to them and refused to let her flip to save them (actually, I think Rupert was the only one who half-believed Sandra, but no one believed Rupert either).

-The exact details of how that merge vote played out are somewhat complicated, but the short version was that the idol that J.T. gave Russell was one of two idols played by Parvati at the merge, sending J.T. out 5-0. So in a sense, his own idol is exactly what sent him home.

Like you said, it's not the WORST move ever, especially compared to something like Erik giving up the immunity necklace. It's certainly easy to see the upside to the move had J.T. been right. It's just kind of strange that of all the ways to avoid a 5-5 tie, he took arguably the riskiest way, and then literally everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

mancalamania posted:

Like you said, it's not the WORST move ever, especially compared to something like Erik giving up the immunity necklace. It's certainly easy to see the upside to the move had J.T. been right. It's just kind of strange that of all the ways to avoid a 5-5 tie, he took arguably the riskiest way, and then literally everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.

I don't even think it was the worst move that season. I would give that to Tyson voting himself out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

garthoneeye posted:

I don't even think it was the worst move that season. I would give that to Tyson voting himself out.

That was the same deal though: it would have been a great move if it had worked. Tyson knew exactly what kind of threat Parvati posed; Russell was still something of an x factor at that point.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

less laughter posted:

All-Stars was won by Boston Rob both in spirit and financially, just not in title.

At the time All-Stars was airing, people were massively disappointed because all the big names went pre-merge. That's more of what I was getting at, that that could easily happen with Game Changers as well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

This was a great summary, but there are 3 important details left out:
-The Heroes were NOT going into the Merge down in numbers; miraculously they had come back from some early losses and were going into the merge 5-5. At worst they could have drawn rocks, but at best...
I want to say that they were coming up with the plan for the last couple of eliminations and didn't really know when the merge was happening. So they THOUGHT they'd be down in numbers which was how the plan formed. As you said, they went on a run there at the end and managed to even the odds but when they made the plan, wrote the letter, and made the switch they actually were down in numbers.

Of course they made the switch AFTER the won the last tribal immunity so JT should have called an audible and not given Russell the idol knowing they had just evened the odds at 5-5. But obviously JT wasn't the quickest thinking player and they seemed to commit to the idea when they were at 6-5 or 7-5.

mancalamania posted:

-They could have flipped Sandra to their side to make it 6-4, who TRIED to flip to the Heroes at the merge and warn them that Russell was playing them, and they all thought that Sandra was lying to them and refused to let her flip to save them (actually, I think Rupert was the only one who half-believed Sandra, but no one believed Rupert either).
Yeah, that's always been my bigger criticism with the Heroes tribe. If I remember right Candace played true to type and "mutinied" a second time almost like she was trying to prove that it made no sense for her to be on the "Hero" tribe since backstabbing her tribe and not getting anything for it was the only thing she did worth remembering.

And justifiably she was the next person voted out.

mancalamania posted:

-The exact details of how that merge vote played out are somewhat complicated, but the short version was that the idol that J.T. gave Russell was one of two idols played by Parvati at the merge, sending J.T. out 5-0. So in a sense, his own idol is exactly what sent him home.
Yeah, it wasn't worth going through the complicated mess of how that happened and I don't really remember it, but I just thought it a funny footnote that Parv ultimately used the idol against Russell. You're right, that I should have also remembered/noted that it took out JT in the end, but if I remember right Russell and Parv were playing games and Russell was contemplating voting out Jerri to play the Heroes/weaken Parv.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 28, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Candace is a huge idiot and one of the worst survivors of all time

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How is Probst going to refer to Ciera/Sierra now? The names are similar-sounding enough.

I guess Ciera could get promoted to last name status.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Candace is a huge idiot and one of the worst survivors of all time

Hyperbole much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It'll be "Sierra" and "Ciera, who voted out her mom!"

• Locked thread