Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
A change in the rules this season: https://parade.com/551340/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-tie-breaker-twist-no-more-revote/

The summary is that there will be no more re-votes on a tie vote. If a vote is tied, the players have to either unanimously agree to one of the targets or draw rocks. This is essentially an effort to prevent vote splitting, which as a consequence will make the hidden immunity idol more powerful.

I have mixed opinions about this. The rock tiebreaker is supposed to be the nuclear option, a punishment for a completely deadlocked tie where nobody budges. The fact that this tiebreaker can now be triggered by some weird technicality where somebody votes for the wrong person is sort of against the point of having a purposefully unfair tiebreaker.

It will be interesting to see if and how the meta game evolves though, since I do think vote splitting has gotten too easy to do post-Heroes vs. Villains. I can see the rule change playing out in a couple of ways. On one hand, making the idol even more powerful might promote safe boring gameplay, centered around building a solid majority around whoever has the idol(s) (like the worst parts of the 21-24 era). On the other hand, perhaps the inability of a majority alliance to reliably defend against idols with vote splits will lead to more voting-bloc type seasons, where no one feels safe long enough to coalesce around a single majority alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That seems like a huge boost for minority alliances out of nowhere. Interesting that Jeff presents it as taking vote splits away since too many people were getting a free look.

Dunno if this is a good idea but all-stars is the time to try it since these are people who have no trouble orchestrating splits and often carry unbreakable pre-game alliances.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm fine with it. I like the idea of adding a new wrinkle for people who have played before.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That sounds pretty poo poo to me from a gameplay /strategy perspective but I guess it leads to more fun idol blindsides

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm fine with it. I like the idea of adding a new wrinkle for people who have played before.
Yeah same. Return seasons are best when they are playing a new version of Survivor. Its like-ok, you have the experience, now lets push you even further.

Honestly one of my dream thought experiment seasons is to have every player who isn't in jail or dead return if they want to. Then you have like eight tribes, make it grueling like that 2001 reality show Boot Camp. Ah.. I love dreaming of these things.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Then you have like eight tribes, make it grueling like that 2001 reality show Boot Camp. Ah.. I love dreaming of these things.
Wolf was robbed. :argh:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's not gonna do that much tbh. Just now instead of doing a 4-4 vote split, you just do a 5-3 vote split and call it a day.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's not gonna do that much tbh. Just now instead of doing a 4-4 vote split, you just do a 5-3 vote split and call it a day.

It's not just enough to split unequal amounts, you have to split unequal amounts AND make sure both amounts are strictly larger than the minority. Changing a 4-4 split to a 5-3 split to get around the new rules only works if the minority alliance has 2 people. If there are 3 in the minority, a 5-3 split results in a 5-3-3 vote, and if the person who has 5 votes plays an idol then it's a 3-3 tie which will now probably lead to rocks.

ETA: AND even if you have a big enough majority to split unequal amounts on two minority alliance members, there are certain situations where the minority alliance might be able to force rocks by voting for themselves. For example, in a hypothetical 5-4 split against an alliance of 3, if the alliance of 3 can guess which of them is getting the 4 votes, they can put an extra vote on that person to engineer a 5-5-2 vote and then force rocks.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 1, 2017

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
It's going to be funny to see stubborn/bitter players potentially force rocks a few times in a single season. Not a fan of the change for strategy(it's meant to be like the ultimate punishment leaving their fate up to chance) but good for TV.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like that change if it's coupled with fewer idols. Fewer, higher impact idols seems like a good thing for the game. Have them all have the drama of Wentworth's idol play, rather than mostly serving as individual immunity for one of the members of the minority alliance.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 1, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pony: Michaela
Poison: Ciera

And although Tony is one of my favourite players ever, he'll be gone by the merge. Because

Propaganda Machine posted:

The other veterans will be very wary of him, but he’ll probably stick around through the early game for his strength in challenges.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like it. There's some potential unintended consequences in accidental ties but I 100% agree that vote splits had become a way too common and abused tool and I applaud them trying to mix it up. Especially with the vets.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Wolf was robbed. :argh:
Wolf should have upped his social. Or the producers should have given the gauntlet the swing vote (it would have fit with the theme - successful mission > team mates).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Watch as Ciera cements her legacy by causing rocks every trival.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think Ciera is out quickly. She's a bad strategist and a troublemaker. Nobody will want to work with her, and if I recall correctly, she's not great at challenges.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ciera feels like that player who is like unthreatening in challenges but competent enough that players are likely to let her float through but she overstrategizes a little so someone will get spooked and target her if she doesn't pull something together quick.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Caleb: Tony and Sandra are not game changers

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/01/survivor-game-changers-cast-surprises/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We should remember that Caleb is a moron and a complete and total narcissist.

It will be interesting to see if we get more of Big Brother Caleb this time around. The odds of him ending up in the same kind of wonderful narrative place he had the first time around seem slim and we could easily get his full on insane villainy that would shock the gently caress out of Survivor fans.

edit: And of course Debbie says that Cirie isn't a game changer.
And Cirie wins me over by naming Andrea.
And Hali wins me over by naming herself.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 1, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Did you even see Kaoh Rong? Getting married really cold him out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Somebody give me a season of Survivor to start rewatching right now. I'd prefer obscure > remembering who wins.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Somebody give me a season of Survivor to start rewatching right now. I'd prefer obscure > remembering who wins.

Marquesas

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

One World. Just so you can hate such a bad cast for what could have been a good twist.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Lampsacus posted:

Vanuatu, start at the merge.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murmur Twin posted:

Vanuatu, start at the merge.

Either of these is probably the best answer except all of Vanuatu is good

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabon, because you can honestly just sit back and watch every alliance implode on each other.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Vanuatu or China.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Seconding Marquesas.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gabon

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Borneo

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Pick one that has a returning player

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Guatemala.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Exile Island

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm half way through the pilot of Vanuatu because it was the first with more than one vote.
Its season 9 yet feels like so early survivor. oh wait, 2004-yup.

thank you for all your recommendations. they are all great as i can't recall who won any of them. its always tricky going on the wikipedia page for each season because the winner is usually quite prominent in the first paragraph.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

I'm half way through the pilot of Vanuatu because it was the first with more than one vote.
Its season 9 yet feels like so early survivor. oh wait, 2004-yup.

thank you for all your recommendations. they are all great as i can't recall who won any of them. its always tricky going on the wikipedia page for each season because the winner is usually quite prominent in the first paragraph.

Back in 2012 I went back and got the DVDs for all the seasons I missed. The covers had cast member headshots on the front, and nearly every cover spoiled the winner by having them in the center of the top row. It made things a bit anticlimactic toward the end.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I watched through Borneo and Australian Outback recently, starting on a full rewatch... it's been interesting seeing what vague memories dredge up from when I originally watched the seasons at 11 years old!

One funny thing that I noticed... both Hatch in S1 and then Keith in S2 used the phrase "voting bloc".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm still doing a full rewatch myself. Whilst listening to TEOS as I go. Talk about an undertaking.

Currently at Season 27 (BvW) and just watched Ares get shanked.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm still doing a full rewatch myself. Whilst listening to TEOS as I go. Talk about an undertaking.

Currently at Season 27 (BvW) and just watched Ares get shanked.

Yeah, I've been listening to TEOS and Survivor Historians as I go, but I have a lot of listening time at work, so it's great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Did you even see Kaoh Rong? Getting married really cold him out.

Like, he probably won't creepily become obsessed with a random woman but a big part of his BB character was him being utterly deluded about how awesome he was, being hyper competitive, and making up absurd lies about himself.

None of that ever happened on Survivor but he never saw a Tribal council, never really played the game, and just saw his edit focused on bonding with Tai and then beast moding his way into heat exhaustion.

So I'm curious if he'll have to play more or if he doesn't have such a positive story like the Tai thing if his other personality traits will come out more. It's totally possible he's had a dramatic personality change since BB but it also seems possible that he was just never in the position to show that stuff his first time around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
According to his interview Caleb thinks Sandra shouldn't have won HvV over Russell, so I'm going to say he's either a cautious Poison or he really doesn't know how to play the game.

He also wants to take Cirie to the end for some reason, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Shocking news: Caleb is an idiot who doesn't know how to play Survivor

• Locked thread