Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The winner was the exact opposite of meh. One of the most unexpected (though totally deserving because of that brilliant Final Tribal performance) and unorthodox winners ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, the winner wasn't someone that I would have expected to be happy with earlier on, but I actually thought it was a really well-deserved and interesting win. I would also put that season up against the best of the US version.

I've enjoyed Survivor NZ, too. I'll be really interested to see how it evolves in further seasons, given a chance. It's interesting to see a Survivor season in this day and age that forgoes hidden immunity idols.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

About the game changing mechanic posted last page:

The most direct outcome of the F4 change is it gives the target at F4 an additional chance to win immunity.

Like macadamiamania said it weakens the three person bloc at F5 which currently is pretty strong. You could also get some weirdness like where someone throws the F4 challenge or doesn't get brought to F3 by the F4 winner because that person is needed to take someone out at fire. I don't hate it, but I'm disinclined to support something that weakens the traditional majority rules social dynamic.

Australian Survivor was absolutely amazing. The twists were maddening, some of the players were maddening, and it was a long long journey to get to the end, but then that finale totally transformed that long journey from a slog to an epic thanks to the final challenge and a shocking FTC.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I personally really liked Australian Survivor until the merge. The pre-merge was really exciting and definitely on par with the better seasons of the U.S. version (modulo a few unfair twists), but the post-merge was a complete slog. The last few episodes got a little bit better, but even then the episodes were way too long for the number of people in play and the amount of gameplay happening. I'm optimistic for the upcoming season though, because I think the idea of a supersized Survivor is inherently interesting.

On the other hand, I thought Survivor NZ was pretty bad all around. The key detail people leave out when they mention Australian Survivor and Survivor NZ airing multiple episodes a week is that almost every Australian Survivor episode ends in an elimination, but only about half of the Survivor NZ episodes end in an elimination. Even when the gameplay got a little unpredictable postmerge, the show was still incredibly slow-paced and not very fun to watch.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Only 5 episodes in and second season kicks first season out of the water for me.

Seems like there are actual players with understanding of the game this time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's that? Second season of Australian Survivor going already?

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Zesty posted:

Yep, and it is pretty good so far. Good casting and they all want to play

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, it's been great. I've also been loving the design of a lot of the competitions. A lot of literally walking over each other, and novel implementations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't tell if the editing is better or worse compared to the US version. They actually know how to leave things in suspense (see episode two with AK's idol), but at the same time it was really obvious the last two episodes who was going to tribal.

But that might just be me having watched enough Survivor to get an idea of how editing works.

The challenges are fantastic though. The last one was extremely original and great.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nexal posted:

Only 5 episodes in and second season kicks first season out of the water for me.

Zesty posted:

It's the 4th, not the 2nd.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's second of the revival and everyone knows what we're talking about. Don't be pedantic.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Nah, it's just childish and wholly unnecessary to pretend the first two seasons don't exist.

Moving on; it is indeed an awesome season so far. Shaping up to be just as good as season 3.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 8, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I was just about to post to see if anyone else was watching the season. I've really enjoyed it so far but I am still sceptical that the producers have learnt their lesson regarding ridiculous twists. The initial marooning no food thing sent off alarm bells but there hasn't been anything else since.

The cast as a whole has been excellent. Luke is a stand out at the moment. The extra everything - from runtime to days played - continues to be a double-edged sword. Initial character development is great but 55 days just seems like a punishment for scheming players.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Put me down as another positive take on this new season of Australian Survivor. It's still early, and this thing runs FOREVER, so it could get padded to hell at some point, but through the first five episodes there's been a nice mix of challenges, game wrinkles and gameplay. Anxiously waiting to see whether the Cookie King will reign in his glorious eternal empire, or be taken out in a peasant uprising.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2017

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
SurvivorAUs new season continues to kick rear end and latest episodes were great.
Because more airtime and actual players getting chance to play the game it allows us to see more in depth whats going on in the scene.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yeah I'm really enjoying it. i think one of the biggest reasons for this is that there still hasn't been a tribe swap. The players obviously thought this season would be heavy on twists/ swaps and are now having to invest more in these starting tribes. This is giving the tribes much more importance in comparison to Game Changers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The twists are finally coming in in Australian Survivor, but for the most part they're still pretty decently executed. Also ha at Henry basically dooming his allies by jumping ship.

The challenges continue to be excellently designed.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

The twists are finally coming in in Australian Survivor, but for the most part they're still pretty decently executed. Also ha at Henry basically dooming his allies by jumping ship.

The challenges continue to be excellently designed.

While I still like the season, I disagree that the most recent twist was decently executed.

The biggest mistake Australian Survivor made last season was letting the players prepare a blindside and then changing the rules at the last second, punishing everyone involved. Those twists really contribute to crushing the fun dynamic play of the pre-merge with the super boring conservative gameplay in the post-merge. If I'm a player this season, after this most recent twist I'd be nervous to ever try to blindside anyone again since I can't trust that I'm actually voting them out and not secretly sending them to a new tribe or giving them a Hidden Immunity Idol or who knows what.

Which is a shame, because this twist would have been salvageable-- just have Jonathan tell them right after the Immunity challenge that they were only voting someone out of the tribe and not out of the game. The players can keep their trust in knowing what their vote is actually doing, and the outcome is probably the same or maybe even more interesting since someone may have volunteered (like Henry, whose switch is much more strategically interesting than Samatau trying to vote out their Bottom Two and accidentally giving them a second life).

As many problems as I had with the twists in Game Changers, they pulled the "surprise at Tribal!" trick much better with the 2-tribes-1-Tribal: Jeff actually warned them pre-Tribal what was actually going to happen and we got to see all the weird strategic implications play out as the players grappled with it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's still some pre-merge left, but if this was the only real twist then I'm fine with it, unlike Game Changers which was a horrible mess of twists and swaps and advantages.

(Honestly that season was just a little blah for me considering how promising it started off.)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's still some pre-merge left, but if this was the only real twist then I'm fine with it, unlike Game Changers which was a horrible mess of twists and swaps and advantages.

(Honestly that season was just a little blah for me considering how promising it started off.)

Reread that OP of mine, which I do stand behind, and consider that I felt bad for Malcolm and kinda want to see him play again after that bullshit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The tribe disc holding endurance challenge is fantastic and US Survivor needs something similar.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Australian Survivor Season 4 Episode 11: No vote out, instead a vote to choose someone to search for a super idol. Not the Tyler Perry Idol, but an idol that *cancels* another played idol (and also apparently includes a secondary normal idol). It's an interesting concept, and I guess this adds to the meta-game. Not sure how I really feel about it until I see it in practice, but it seems like a simple "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress you!" deal. At a certain point, they could just have not hidden another normal idol?... I guess the rub comes out in if the person who found it will tell their tribe or not what they really found. Also this just gives another chance for tribal drama.

Teek fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 29, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, it feels more like a 'win more' move. Whoever that was already in the majority alliance had a good chance of benefiting. What WOULD have been interesting is if you could play an idol during that vote to 'nullify' votes for someone, preventing them from winning.

I'm not too wild on the super-idol, but I suppose the ramifications of having to lie afterwards would be interesting. And with a tribe swap immediately after, too.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Looks like they're officially releasing info for the new very well named and definitely not gimmicky at all I promise it's going to be great so good omg blindsides season.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1007733/survivor-season-35-meet-the-cast-of-heroes-vs-healers-vs-hustlers/

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Feels early for all this, but if we've got a cast announcement, so it is. New OP coming up soon.

Either that or this summer has just felt super fast.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Teek posted:

Australian Survivor Season 4 Episode 11: No vote out, instead a vote to choose someone to search for a super idol. Not the Tyler Perry Idol, but an idol that *cancels* another played idol (and also apparently includes a secondary normal idol). It's an interesting concept, and I guess this adds to the meta-game. Not sure how I really feel about it until I see it in practice, but it seems like a simple "gently caress you!" "No, gently caress you!" deal. At a certain point, they could just have not hidden another normal idol?... I guess the rub comes out in if the person who found it will tell their tribe or not what they really found. Also this just gives another chance for tribal drama.

It's hard to imagine the Nullify-A-Played-Idol idol playing out in an entertaining way. A (regular) idol played correctly is very rare and exciting, so to have that drama undercut by the majority nullifying the idol seems like a bad idea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mancalamania posted:

It's hard to imagine the Nullify-A-Played-Idol idol playing out in an entertaining way. A (regular) idol played correctly is very rare and exciting, so to have that drama undercut by the majority nullifying the idol seems like a bad idea.

They should have given it to Cirie last season so she could laugh in anyone but Sarah's face.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

SweetJahasus posted:

Looks like they're officially releasing info for the new very well named and definitely not gimmicky at all I promise it's going to be great so good omg blindsides season.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1007733/survivor-season-35-meet-the-cast-of-heroes-vs-healers-vs-hustlers/

I don't know about all of you, but when I think of heroes, an actuary is the first person that comes to mind

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
ed: this was a bad post and I feel bad for making it

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So there’s two interesting things about Survivor HaHiHuHeHo:

1. They’re undoing the change they made for Game Changers where tie votes immediately went to consensus/rocks. After all the hullabaloo they made about the change I figured they were sticking with it, but I guess not.

2. The Super Tyler Perry Idol is back! Sort of! It will be hidden on the boat during marooning, and will only be good for the first Tribal. Not the first Tribal that tribe goes to, the first Tribal period. If the idol holder’s tribe wins tribal immunity, they have to give the Super Idol to a member of the losing tribe in secret.

And yes, it’s a Super Idol in the “Can be played after votes are read” sense. Which seems redundant at first, since if you’re already giving them immunity they might as well use it before it expires, but I can see someone not wanting to paint that target on themselves unless they absolutely have to. Still, why are we doing Tyler Perry Idols again?

Source: Reality Blurred

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 31, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
1. Makes sense. I don't think they got much out of that rule change, and, as we just recently bitched about, 34 had too many X-factors from production.

2. I don't quite hate this. There's roughly a 10% chance of that thing even seeing the light of day, give or take depending on if it gets handed over. I'm guessing it's to add content to the first episode, wherein the old/fat/lazy/cantankerous/challenge-losing person is a no-brainer for being the first person out. A hint of idol drama to keep things spicy, and then, poof, it's gone. That's okay.

The problem of course is that 10ish% chance in which Chicken or Ciera or whoever casts the sole vote for the person getting booted. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

1. It's a bad twist for a newbie season. It makes sense to take away a tool veteran players can easily use each vote.

2. Meh

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

1. Makes sense. I don't think they got much out of that rule change, and, as we just recently bitched about, 34 had too many X-factors from production.

2. I don't quite hate this. There's roughly a 10% chance of that thing even seeing the light of day, give or take depending on if it gets handed over. I'm guessing it's to add content to the first episode, wherein the old/fat/lazy/cantankerous/challenge-losing person is a no-brainer for being the first person out. A hint of idol drama to keep things spicy, and then, poof, it's gone. That's okay.

The problem of course is that 10ish% chance in which Chicken or Ciera or whoever casts the sole vote for the person getting booted. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

With respect to 2, in another article it said that if whoever finds the idol is on the tribe that wins immunity, they have to immediately will it to someone on the losing tribe. So there's already a 1 in 6 shot it gets played, much higher if you factor in that if it gets willed to someone they'll probably send it to an obvious weak link on that tribe. And even if that weak link isn't the target, they might be in the minority so would play it on whoever the target is anyway.

I mostly hate this twist because it's impossible to strategize around-- not only will most players not even know this idol is in the game, but even if they figure out that it's in the game they can't really do anything to fight it except do exactly what the holder wants because it's a super idol, especially because the rules about how the super idol work with respect to re-votes is unclear (I won't ramble about the specifics, but even a 2-2-2 split would fail if super idols can be played after re-votes). And since only the holder of the idol knows the exact rules, even if the super idol CAN'T be played after a re-vote the holder can just claim that it can and no one will be able to call the bluff, and then there's no way to split votes.

It seems like if the idol was just a regular idol that expires after the first TC, and if Probst just warns them that "one round idols are a thing this season, so strategize accordingly," you could get a much more entertaining outcome out of this twist. As it stands, it seems very likely someone is about to be the first person voted out because of a magic idol with new unknowable rules.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Here's an idea: They should give up on trying to make the super idol work because it fuckin sucks

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
How about focusing less on strategy and more on characters and location just like in China....

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nexal posted:

How about focusing less on strategy and more on characters and location just like in China....

China was good despite the dumb kidnapping twist.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The podcast Uhh Yeah Dude is listened to by Roark of s35 http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Roark_Luskin so yay go her.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol Roark's Which Survivor are You Most Like is "if Sophie Clarke and Courtney Yates somehow had a child". High expectation-setter, that. her whole thing makes me think she's going to do very well as long as she latches onto an alliance of people that find her personality endearing. So if she's like Courtney, she needs a Todd and an Amanda.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I assume the combination of Sophie and Courtney would be someone who utterly destroys people verbally with deadpan snark and trash-talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If I ever get on the show I'm saying I'm a combo of Shambo and Dan Foley just for the fun of it

• Locked thread