Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

The opening 7 minute video teaser showed Michaela with a blue buff. Which was a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was a pretty cool premiere yeah. I'm still baffled at how that second vote went. I thought it was going to be one Aubry, a few Tonys, and lot of Sandra votes as Jeff read them out, but nope.

I like Cirie, but I'm wary of her chances. At least she gets a new lease of life next episode. It's interesting how many of the big players want to dial their game back, while a few of the understated ones want to step it up. Well, except Ciera and Tony, and look where that got them.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on Sierra. So many people underrated her but in such an amped up cast and her advantage she has serious potential. Andrea could slip under the radar too - on most seasons she wouldn't make it far, but in a cast of Cirie, Sandra and physical threats, she'll slip past quite a few votes until she makes the Ciera blunder and takes charge too much. I don't think Hali would win, but she won't be a primary target til someone decides she's an easy split vote.

I'm also hoping Varner makes it far, but he's too much of a personality to make very subtle moves. Meanwhile I still don't know why people love Zeke so much. He's just a really excited fanboy who got some moderate success in his season because not that many people wanted to really head the charge.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I tanked my Survivor fantasy league and still managed to hit 2nd place. Not used to these fantasy league things, made.some rookies moves.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Is today's RHAP episode of Survivor Know it Alls not in the feed today? I need something to listen to at work.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

-sharks
-that water logged snake challenge. frick that. it would have been so so heavy.
-malcolm did well to secure his value as a challenge beast. i think he'll last until the merge.
-i love the theme. lighthouse, shipwrecks. its good on the budget they have. which reminds me, i wonder if we'll ever get another big budget season (like survivor china). man i loved survivor china.
-good intense episode of tony. he overplayed his hand. i feel like a lot of the power players are peacocking and overplaying their hands actually. malcolm, varner, etc. are smart to let the egos play out. i wonder if this means the second half of the game will be much more subtle.
-i feel like the two tribes have already marked themselves as the 'good cooperative tribe' and the 'evil individualist tribe'.
-i wonder if the buff drop is to minimize pre-game relationships.
-yay new survivor

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lone Goat posted:

Is today's RHAP episode of Survivor Know it Alls not in the feed today? I need something to listen to at work.

IIRC Rob said on one of the preview casts that the audio version would be late.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there much of a point in them giving out flint even as a reward anymore? Both tribes get it after day 3 now and in most seasons these days it doesn't matter especially on returning seasons where everyone should be able to make fire. They should just include it as a basic package now or keep offering the losing tribe flint only as a reward until something like day 9 or something.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lone Goat posted:

Its up now

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there much of a point in them giving out flint even as a reward anymore? Both tribes get it after day 3 now and in most seasons these days it doesn't matter especially on returning seasons where everyone should be able to make fire. They should just include it as a basic package now or keep offering the losing tribe flint only as a reward until something like day 9 or something.
No. It's just one of those rituals of Survivor. I'd hate to see them phase them out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

RIP "Tony and Sandra" - the greatest alliance in the history of Survivor, sunk by an overheard 4am conversation in under a day,

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DutchDupe posted:

That's pretty specific lol. You're assigning way too much intelligence to that group of players. The most plausible scenario: Sandra gathered that group of five and the minority four panicked and voted how they thought would save them. Hence Sandra getting no votes.

We know Malcolm/Caleb have to have been somewhat in the driver's seat, because they would've had to go back to Tony and told him "Sandra isn't happening, but we can do Aubry" with the intent of weakening Tony by having his closest ally eat it if there was an idol play.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Ciera thought the new tiebreaker rule would be a personal advantage and was immediately booted. I can't imagine a better result.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm watching the previous season (Kaoh Rong?) and i just got to the episode where everybody dies during the reward challenge and jesus christ

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
I love the lip service players give to keeping the tribe strong, and yet no one mentioned Varner's sorry performance in the challenge. Alliances and personalities trump practicality.

Tony, as always, was his own worst enemy. That guy is wound up so tight that he couldn't just listen to the conversation, he had to have a confrontation about it. Picking a head-on fight with Sandra instead of using the information to work against her in the background was a foolish decision - but hey, Tony, if anything, is a creature of impulse. That wasn't going to work against experienced players, and especially not against The Queen. Brilliant counter-punching by Sandra. And if you listen to the conversation that upset Tony, Sandra was just passively listening rather than actively plotting against Tony. Tony is just too paranoid, high strung and sleep-deprived to relax and let the information come to him. The good news is that with Tony the Drama Queen gone, things will be less frantic. The bad news is that things might be more boring. I might have preferred he last a little longer to drive the narrative, but I'm not at all surprised at his quick flame-out.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

I'm watching the previous season (Kaoh Rong?) and i just got to the episode where everybody dies during the reward challenge and jesus christ
Production hosed the cast so hard on that challenge. The practice/b-roll team ran the challenge with flags locating all the buried bags.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Production hosed the cast so hard on that challenge. The practice/b-roll team ran the challenge with flags locating all the buried bags.

How well received was this season here? I'm enjoying it so far, but I also don't know anything that happens later that may ruin it (Tyler Perry Idol, Boston Rob running the board at the end, etc.). I don't even know boot order or winner or anything. Five episodes in, Tai is basically the best person on the show and the two guys on the brawn tribe are the loving worst.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, Sandra knows her audience really well and won't tip her hand until it's all clear. She wasn't going to blow up the conversation she and Troyzan were having until Troyzan was gone. But nope, Tony just had to explode over it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

How well received was this season here? I'm enjoying it so far, but I also don't know anything that happens later that may ruin it (Tyler Perry Idol, Boston Rob running the board at the end, etc.). I don't even know boot order or winner or anything. Five episodes in, Tai is basically the best person on the show and the two guys on the brawn tribe are the loving worst.
It is extremely difficult to talk about the reaction without spoiling the winner. It's an ok to good season with very obvious flaws. It's not a dud. Most people loved Tai and saw Jason and Scot as jerks. I have a soft spot for Scot being able to Tall Guy his way through challenges. The elaborately hidden idols were a fun change from years of tree holes/roots that people found without any clues.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Capsaicin posted:

How well received was this season here?

Ask us again when you're done watching it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kataphract posted:

I love the lip service players give to keeping the tribe strong, and yet no one mentioned Varner's sorry performance in the challenge. Alliances and personalities trump practicality.

Sandra basically said what I was thinking: if you're already losing even with your best players still around, what difference does it make trying to keep them around? I mean yeah, that's a defeatist argument, but 'keeping the tribe strong' is a pretty weak excuse after day 3. Especially since swaps are now so frequent these days that you have to expect them on day 7 or 10, so you should only care about keeping the tribe strong if you're there on the first TC.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sandra basically said what I was thinking: if you're already losing even with your best players still around, what difference does it make trying to keep them around? I mean yeah, that's a defeatist argument, but 'keeping the tribe strong' is a pretty weak excuse after day 3. Especially since swaps are now so frequent these days that you have to expect them on day 7 or 10, so you should only care about keeping the tribe strong if you're there on the first TC.

yeah, tribe strength is only compelling if you don't expect a swap. I think almost everyone out there at this point expected a swap to 3. it makes too much sense.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
According to Tony, there was a typhoon JUST before they started filming, so the place was an absolute mess and crazy difficult to search for idols in.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It turns out Tony Was Always Bad at Survivor??

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

It turns out Tony Was Always Bad at Survivor??

Tony's strategy is really a one-shot deal. It no longer works once people cotton onto how dangerous your game is. Note how fast Russell and Cirie got taken out last time they played and people actually saw on TV that they're deadly if left alone. Savvier players will try and dial it back and adapt to their surrounding cast to take the heat off them. But Tony has one of the most maverick styles and his inability to calm down shot himself in the foot. If he was returning on a tribe of new entries (like Boston Rob), he might have been able to rally his tribemates around him. But in a season of returnees? His days were numbered as soon as he signed up.

(Of course, in this day and age Russell would be pretty much a goat; nobody respects his game.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

(Of course, in this day and age Russell would be pretty much a goat; nobody respects his game.)

He was a goat in his own day and age!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
"Bye Tony! Say hi to Ciera for me!"

My heart. The greatest survivor ever.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sandra really is the best.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

Brad Culpepper saw the goats and instinctively thought What Would Monica Do?

Supremely underappreciated post.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Of course she would say that - the truth is, you are losing because your *worst* players are still around. But tribe strength is not always the agenda of a given alliance - it's keeping control of what remains of the tribe (and therefore ensuring your own continued survival, at least for the moment). Long term, you gotta hope tribal loyalties go out the window, or a fortuitous tribal swap. Sandra, of course, did exactly what she had to. Tony's High Anxiety act cut his own throat in the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing is, the Orange tribe didn't lose that challenge because of Sandra. They lost it because two of their strongest players Malcolm and Michaela were standing on the beach watching Varner, Hali, and Aubrey be useless. They lost because afterwards Caleb was saying "Jeff undersold how heavy that thing was" because apparently no one on the tribe anticipated that a 25 foot sand bag soaked with water would be really, really heavy and hard to get over a big rear end fence.

Some tribes lose because they're physically weak. Some tribes lose because they're a bunch of idiots and selfish schemers who can't play team sports.

Jeff: Sandra, why is no one targeting you? You should be the top target?
Sandra: Shh, Jeff. These fools love me!

If anyone besides Sandra had yelled "STILL THE QUEEN!" in Tribal I would say they killed themselves. But I kind of think it might not affect Sandra at all. Sandra's just a perfect set of natural Survivor skills. She's charming enough that people can't even help but laugh when she's boasting about good she is. She's clever enough to play the game but doesn't get bogged down in over strategy and sketch people out. She's adaptable to whatever the game throws at her because the only plan she's really committed to is her own self preservation. And she doesn't really dick around. Tony's a paranoid nutbag threat so he's gotta go.

I still would be shocked if she survives past that merge "ok, time to take out the threats" phase but there's no real rational reason why she should have survived two Tribals without a single vote except that she's preternaturally good at this game.

On the flip side Ciera is not made for this game because she has no chill and can't seem to just play her own game instead of worrying about what her mom or ex tribe mates would think or do. She's got enough strategic sense that maybe it would have been different if she had played without baggage, but if three tries you can't shake that baggage your time's up.

I'm a little sad Tony self destructed so quickly. I don't like him but there was a world of potential awesomeness in his war with Sandra. The fact that it took like five hours for him to ruin that isn't surprising, though. And he was clearly on the way to making Caleb his mindless puppy which had all kinds of comedy potential. And I bet Aubrey would have had a breakdown trying to manage an alliance with him. And the only joy I was going to get from Debbie was to see if she and Tony met and determined if they were soul mates or mortal enemies.

Stupid insane Tony blowing it all in like 6 days.

For some reason middle aged dad bod JT and Ozzy cracks me up endlessly.

I love Michaela but she's got that "no chill" problem too. And Varner seems like he's working himself into a tizzy early. I'm curious to see how Aubrey adjusts to Sandra and Tony driving her initial alliance into bits.

Hali seems to only be able to speak in cliches. Its odd.

This is why I dig returning player seasons. Off and running and I'm already invested in so many people and stories instead of just saying "uhhh... I think that lady on that tribe?"

Pinterest Mom posted:

We know Malcolm/Caleb have to have been somewhat in the driver's seat, because they would've had to go back to Tony and told him "Sandra isn't happening, but we can do Aubry" with the intent of weakening Tony by having his closest ally eat it if there was an idol play.

They had no real power. Varner and Michaela were the swing votes who were flirting with flipping things to Tony's side. We saw Sandra and Co bring Malcolm and Caleb in on their plan, after that they either had to get on board or flip someone. All we missed was Varner/Michaela making their decision and filling in the interested parties, and then them feeding Tony a story. I assume they simply told him Aubrey was the target and he had no other options.

Well, that and Aubrey getting filled in because she was totally out of the loop according to the edit. Presumably someone just told her "Vote Tony, he's going home, you're safe."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually getting the vibe that Zeke is similar to Ciera. He's a big fan, and is just absolutely itching for people (namely himself) to play and to make big moves and to topple giants like Ozzy. Heck, he even got people to gamble on a rock draw. For that reason I'm not convinced he's winner material; just as Michaela is struggling to keep her usual self under wraps, I don't think he can really make good subtle moves and/or not let his ego get in the way when he goes head to head with someone.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 10, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Zeke overplayed in his first season and the idea of being with a bunch of vets he admires/respects/fears probably doesn't help that instinct. That whole "Oh man, I love Cirie! She's the best! I'd love to work with her! Oh wait, she's the best. I can't work with her. She's a threat." thing really kind of summed up my opinion of Zeke.

Its hard to figure out how things will play out this early in and there's so many other big players and wildcards in play. But I think its too close to Zeke's first season for him to have had the time to do some introspection and fix his mistakes.

Cirie's another player who has to find a little chill if she's going to survive. She's fighting against her well established reputation as a backstabber and schemer and she gleefully admits its all well deserved. The only way she can counter that is to just play it straight and convince people you're not going to do that (and then of course do it when the time comes). Ozzy doesn't trust her because she betrayed him once, so she can only really try and show Ozzy that she's trustworthy (until the moment she backstabs him). But Cirie can't really help but talk and try and work things and that just feeds into her reputation.

A tribe swap could give her a reset and the early days of tribe life are always kind of a tossup as anyone could steal the attention away from her at any moment. But if she can't slow down and tighten up a little she's going to just keep that target on her back.

Again, I think that's what Sandra's good at. She comes off as casual and reactive instead of pro-active. That little scene where she quickly rounds up the votes against Tony without any pushback and then Varner just sits back and says "She just built a majority alliance in 25 minutes. That's scary." That's the weird power Sandra has and its a little bit of what Cirie's gotta find.

ApplesandOranges posted:

just as Michaela is struggling to keep her usual self under wraps,

I'm not entirely convinced that Michaela's problem is "keeping her usual self under wraps." From what I remember everyone on her first season loved her personality and I suspect most of the vets would enjoy her the same way we do. I think it hurts her more to be badly covering up her facial reactions than if she just was herself and let it hang out. Not to keep comparing people to Sandra but I could see Michaela getting away with the same kind of loud personality and attitude and just surviving because she's charming and likable. And good in challenges to boot. She might rub the occasional person the wrong way but if she can keep the majority of the tribe on her side that doesn't have to be an issue this early in.

What I think her real problem is is that she just can't turn down her competitiveness. She didn't get voted out of her first season for her personality, she got voted out because of that shell thing which opened a bunch of tribemates' eyes that she was a serious gamer. Michaela's smart and competitive but she wears that as a badge of honor and gets upset when people aren't putting her front and center. That's going to bite you in the rear end sooner or later.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think the #1 under reported story from this episode is that basically every player knows a swap is coming at 18. Sandra's weakness people say is that she's a challenge liability but that's really out the window if you don't know whether she's going to be on your tribe after the vote.

Tony's exit interview he says, yeah there were 5 of us that I think wanted to keep me, he seemed pretty confident he could have had Michaela, but they just wouldn't do it and wouldn't talk to him. The swap is relevant here too, because if you know a swap is coming, do you really want to head in there after a contentious 5-4 vote? Nah, you need a consensus vote going into that swap.

So why did Tony's potential people be the ones that surrendered to make that consensus, I don't know. A testament to Sandra to some degree I'm sure, maybe Troyzan also was totally set against Tony, maybe Malcolm just decided to be actively flexible and let Caleb etc know he was going the other way. Once they get into tribes of six, Malcolm is going to be basically untouchable and then there will be the chance for Sandra to become a target.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The brilliant thing Sandra does is never throw her weight around unless she has to. When she walked up to the group discussing the Cierra vote, she just said "just tell me a name, I don't care." So many players obsess over votes and game out every scenario. Sandra at least outwardly shows that she is doing none of that, which makes the overly intense gamers think that they can safely control her.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Glad to see there's mutual respect between Sandra and Tony.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2017-exit-interview-podcast-ciera-eastin-tony-vlachos-game-changers-march-8/ (skip to 25:15 to hear him slobbering over Sandra)

https://twitter.com/SandraDTwine/status/839822734376992771

Comes across better than...some previous big names in previous seasons who felt the need to denigrate their competition (cough...Boston Rob) or couldn't accept losing (cough..Russell).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

So why did Tony's potential people be the ones that surrendered to make that consensus, I don't know. A testament to Sandra to some degree I'm sure, maybe Troyzan also was totally set against Tony, maybe Malcolm just decided to be actively flexible and let Caleb etc know he was going the other way. Once they get into tribes of six, Malcolm is going to be basically untouchable and then there will be the chance for Sandra to become a target.

Sandra is loyal to you (to a degree, until she needs to cut you to save herself). Tony will backstab you for no reason other than his own paranoia, like he did with LJ. Either way, it's much better to keep Sandra around than Tony - either she's on your tribe after the swap and you can make something happen, or if she's on another tribe, there's a decent chance she'll gel back with you after the merge. Meanwhile, Tony's such a wild factor and independent player that he's far more dangerous to keep around.

Sandra's way too dangerous to sit next to at the end, but until then, as long as you're not bothering her, she's not going to look to actively hinder you.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Feels a bit like Tony showed up knowing his reputation and felt like he had to play to the cameras a bit. The shrieking and running off to "find an idol" and the need to make a better spy shack just seemed like he felt there were expectations on him that he had to match or surpass rather than just playing an actual game of Survivor.

Or, he recognized that he didn't really have a chance due to the immense target on his back coming in and just wanted to have fun. Either way he's harmless and still seems like a good guy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was going to say that he didn't do much social hustling while Sandra rounded up the votes, but I wonder if that's just because very few people even even wanted to talk to him.

Like, he had to rely on Caleb to nab the other votes instead of Malcolm, which maybe wasn't a good idea.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Cirie's another player who has to find a little chill if she's going to survive. She's fighting against her well established reputation as a backstabber and schemer and she gleefully admits its all well deserved. The only way she can counter that is to just play it straight and convince people you're not going to do that (and then of course do it when the time comes). Ozzy doesn't trust her because she betrayed him once, so she can only really try and show Ozzy that she's trustworthy (until the moment she backstabs him). But Cirie can't really help but talk and try and work things and that just feeds into her reputation.

I'm a bit biased since Cirie is one of my all-time favorite players, but I don't blame her at all for how she's handling her situation. Returning player seasons are filled with big strategic threats who try to play tight to prove that they're not a threat but accidentally let those crucial early days of alliance building slip through their fingers, and by the time they go to their first Tribal it's too late. I give Cirie a lot of credit for recognizing that she's in a bad spot despite everyone telling her otherwise, and I think she's correct that she needs to do *something* and do it quickly. Obviously, based on what we saw, she should have tried a different tactic or maybe even go all-in on idol hunting, but we clearly have a lot more info than she does. I'm glad she made it to the swap, because with a new smaller group of people maybe the group-think will let up and she'll have a chance to pull some people over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If she can get away from Ozzy I think her chances of making the Merge will improve dramatically.

• Locked thread