Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Poque posted:

I actually hate this a lot. Let this game dictate itself.

You'd rather they pretend they're not aware that there's a two-time winner in their midst? Get real.

It's still letting the game dictate itself, because any route that a two-time winner takes to the end would be well-earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

Cirie was fat and unathletic when she was first on 10 years ago. She will be even worse at challenges now.

Not sure how Cirie of 10 years ago factors into anything, since by all accounts she's currently pretty svelte.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mills posted:

I watched Hunted s01e01 because I heard all y'all talking about it and the show loving sucks. Unless it gets better...

Over-produced with poor casting choices. :shrug:

You only met like a third of the teams, one of which gets caught in the first ep, how can you judge the casting?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I watched through Borneo and Australian Outback recently, starting on a full rewatch... it's been interesting seeing what vague memories dredge up from when I originally watched the seasons at 11 years old!

One funny thing that I noticed... both Hatch in S1 and then Keith in S2 used the phrase "voting bloc".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm still doing a full rewatch myself. Whilst listening to TEOS as I go. Talk about an undertaking.

Currently at Season 27 (BvW) and just watched Ares get shanked.

Yeah, I've been listening to TEOS and Survivor Historians as I go, but I have a lot of listening time at work, so it's great.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

blue squares posted:

its season 36. How many new viewers could there be, I wonder?

Millennials vs Gen X brought in at least some new viewers, just due to the theme. It was the first season that one of my coworkers watched, and he's now watching this season too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Taint posted:

It's weird enough that people say this constantly now for some reason, but to actually type it is bizarre.

Not really, it has a slightly different connotative purpose than just saying yeah or no does.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I had been hoping they had stolen the AU Survivor tribe swap twist, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this is like!

Dunno why so many people are dunking on the idea, it sounds fun to me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I didn't watch that season, what happened?

They sent two tribes to tribal, had each separate tribe vote for someone... but then instead of sending those two home, they switched tribes instead.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This is amazing. Jeff's barely even needed tonight.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Well, congrats on the completely incoherent vote that eliminated a fan favorite, show

How was that incoherent at all? It was pretty easy to follow the basics of what just happened, and it was an excellent play by one tribe. They got to hand-pick who to eliminate, and they chose Malcolm because he's a physical threat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

aidoru posted:

"JT's not getting a christmas card" Oh my god

Is that a Survivor: Australian Outback Finale reference?

xbilkis posted:

Hiding Malcolm from the vast majority of the discussion meant that result came out of nowhere

I can assume why they arrived there but I have no idea how it actually happened

Well Hali said that they should get rid of physical threats... the other tribe assumed that meant Brad, but she probably meant Malcolm.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Boxman posted:

I'm not at all sure that's a valid reason to eliminate someone at this point. If Sandra takes this season down by playing a "gently caress all of you I have won two seasons of Survivor I am better at this" it will be the most amazing thing, though.

I mean, it's as valid a reason as any, especially when they're on the other tribe and you want to win against them in the next challenges.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Are we ever going to see Malcolm again?

He said on RHAP that he wants to and feels like he has unfinished business!

I think his chances are good, he's likeable and still capable of being a threat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Really hating idols more and more each season. They really need to cut its power or make them much loving harder to find.

I will never understand opinions like this. The game is so much better with idols.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I'm conflicted, because idols produce some of the best moments in the show, but yeah I don't think there's anyone who would complain about idols being harder to find. The show will occasionally talk about stepping it up in that department, but that usually just amounts to "you have to follow a single step and dig 1.5 feet in a specifically outlined location before you get it" like it did just now

Part of it is that it's just bad tv to have people going 'I need the idol. Oh, here it is!' because you know they're not going to show someone hunting for the idol in the first 10 minutes without any payoff

I mean, they've been varying that up, though, even in this very season with Troyzan's idol.

But I'm also kind of glad that they're not ONLY doing them like that yet, either.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

PB&J: AKA Survivor heroin

I wish Big Brother still used PB&J instead of slop, because the contrast in reactions to PB&J between shows always amused me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

blue squares posted:

Anyone here ever read something about Survivor using drones to film scenes from the air?

I recall reading an article that mentioned it, they only started using them a couple of seasons ago, I think.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Debbie's gone full Trump. Alternative facts, bizarre misdirections, and inflated sense of self-worth all over the place.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kind of an unlucky win for Mana, tbh

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

That was beautiful.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

This exit is soo embarrassing. Gets his best bud voted out with an ambitious overplay, okay, not good but let's look past that... gets duped by Sandra into a feud with Michaela and then goes home with an idol in his pocket, ouch

Sandra basking in her victory and taking credit for the sugar too haha. I think she's won over a lot of doubters this season.

This is only the second season that one of my coworkers has watched, and he hasn't liked Sandra so far... I look forward to seeing if this episode has changed his mind at all, because that was peak Sandra.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Not even, he left it back at camp.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Continuing my rewatch with Survivor Africa... finally, they've found their style for musical accompaniment. The music in the first two seasons was off-putting after becoming used to modern Survivor. Jeff still isn't calling the competitions the way he does in modern Survivor yet, though... I'll be curious to see when that starts.

I wonder if they'll ever go back to an African setting now that they're shooting seasons two at a time. I love the settings for Africa and Gabon. (Though I can see why it's not one they go back to a whole lot, seems like tough shooting/living conditions.)

Also, it was funny seeing one of the older guys going on about Generation X in the exact way that Gen X tribe did about Millennials.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

If we're making Survivor/Big Brother comparisons, I'd say what they have in common is the desperate need to fire the casting director.

I don't think you can blame the casting director for Big Brother, as she also is the casting director for Big Brother Canada and it doesn't suffer from the same issues. I think the problem is the priorities of the producers.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

xbilkis posted:

"Jeff...are you realizing you made a mistake telling this to more than six people...you're telling it to millions of people.....who we now have no choice but to show it to"

It would have been a pretty confusing end to the episode if they didn't...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just realized, I bet the fact that even Zeke once lashed out personally at a tribal council helped him to forgive Varner a bit more readily. (Even though the things that he said about David weren't of the same magnitude as outing someone, by any means.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Corinne's main reason for thinking this seems to be because the word at the immunity comp was "metamorphosis". :rolleyes:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also of course BuzzFeed immediately goes and spreads the news.

I'm not sure they've grasped the idea of not publicly outing someone.

I mean, it's in all kinds of news outlets including with articles and interviews by Zeke, it's not outing him at this point.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zesty posted:

What am I missing?

It's showing the immunity winner.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

curiousCat posted:

What's funny is it's actually not. :allears:

I should have qualified my statement with I assume!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

the truth posted:

What if... Varner did what he did but then played an immunity idol

I think that's partially why Jeff basically skipped the vote.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I think its safe to assume that if Varner had an idol he never would have been so desperate as to do that.

But if he DID have an idol and Jeff purposely changed the rules to get around that wouldn't that be flirting with like the Van Duren game show laws? If things played out that Varner had an idol and insisted on using it every after all that I feel like Jeff would have had to just let him do it. Otherwise it would effectively be pulling him because they think he's a bad guy.

I doubt it would be an issue with the laws... I bet the producers have a clause allowing them to remove contestants if they see fit... that wouldn't be akin to rigging unless they specifically did it to help another player win.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Out of curiosity, does anybody know when Jeff started commentating during the challenges as he does in modern Survivor?
I'm up to rewatching Marquesas now, and that's the one sort of stylistic element that they haven't figured out yet.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Final 6 tribal:
Andrea wins Immunity
Sierra plays her legacy advantage
Troy plays his HII
Sarah plays her vote steal (and receives no votes)
Tai plays his HII
Cirie convinces Tai to put his other HII on her.

No one gets voted out?! What would happen?

What's the legacy advantage again? Because one of the people without immunity would end up going out. So either Sarah or Sierra.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max posted:

I do sometimes wish the show would adopt the Genius model of revealing things, like a player pulling out an idol and then rewinding to that moment. I know it's a formula at this point but it usually leaves no room for surprise.

They could probably introduce something like that by way of a theme, if they really wanted to.
Survivor: Blindsides!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zesty posted:

New Zealand Survivor is already airing? I got 20 minutes into Nick and Phoebe talking about it until I realized they weren't talking about their season of Australian Survivor.

Has anyone been watching?

I've been watching, and enjoying it! Though it's not like Australian Survivor where it feels polished right off the bat. But I like the casting, and I enjoy having 2 more new episodes of Survivor (and Nick Iadanza's podcast) each week.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max posted:

They will redo the pearl islands twist and be "haunted" by the people they eliminate early on as a new ghost tribe.

I just finished rewatching Pearl Islands, and so this kind of thing was what jumped to mind for me, too. I would love it if they brought back the opportunity for the jury to play against players to keep them from winning immunity.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dugong posted:

I really don't like Redemption as a concept because it devalues the importance of tribal council if a player could make it back into the game.

Except it also increases the importance of playing tribal council artfully so that you won't be in anyone's crosshairs if they return. I don't see how a hiccup in someone's strategies devalues the importance of tribal in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, the winner wasn't someone that I would have expected to be happy with earlier on, but I actually thought it was a really well-deserved and interesting win. I would also put that season up against the best of the US version.

I've enjoyed Survivor NZ, too. I'll be really interested to see how it evolves in further seasons, given a chance. It's interesting to see a Survivor season in this day and age that forgoes hidden immunity idols.

• Locked thread