Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
From what I can tell Julia is a professional racecar driver and gives TED talks so good on her.

My great fear for Game Changers is that it's a cast divided between a few big names and a bunch of randos trying to make a name for themselves. This may result in Tony, Sandra, Cirie, Malcolm, and JT being targeted early and we end up with loving Sierra winning the season. Think All-Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

less laughter posted:

All-Stars was won by Boston Rob both in spirit and financially, just not in title.

At the time All-Stars was airing, people were massively disappointed because all the big names went pre-merge. That's more of what I was getting at, that that could easily happen with Game Changers as well.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Caleb: Tony and Sandra are not game changers

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/01/survivor-game-changers-cast-surprises/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

quote:

Holmes: Did Russell give you any advice?

Reynolds: He just reached out to me and said he liked my character. He told me some people that he thinks I can trust. The ones that he’s played with that stabbed people in the back. He gave me his opinions on each one of them. He loves Tai and thinks we should stay close even though people are going to want to separate us. But he didn’t give me any gameplay advice. I haven’t watched “Survivor” from way back. So, the people he spoke to me about, I said, “I don’t know anything about them,” and he gave me some tips. But heck, I wish I had more info.

So Caleb is anti-Sandra and Tony because Russell talked poo poo about them to him and those words filled up the vacuous empty tissue that is Caleb's mind. Got it.

edit: Holy poo poo, Brad Culpepper is such a train wreck

https://parade.com/551438/joshwigler/survivor-game-changers-brad-culpepper/

edit 2: Hahaha these other players are throwing so much shade at Brad too:
Malcolm Freberg (Philippines, Caramoan): I’ve talked a lot about the things that I have learned and what I have now that I didn’t have in the arsenal before. But looking at a few names here and the egos you have to deal with? I just have no tolerance for that.

Josh Wigler (Survivor press, Parade): Didn’t you play with Phillip Shephard?

Malcolm Freberg (Philippines, Caramoan): Yeah, but his big football playing cousin is here.

Sarah Lacina (Cagayan): In the airport, he threw a fit. He had a checked bag and a carry-on. They told him his carry-on is too big and he threw a fit about it. I’m like, “Oh man, this guy is a prima donna: ‘I’m Brad Culpepper, I can do whatever I want.'”

Michaela Bradshaw (Millennials vs Gen X): I’m not a suck up type of person. I don’t even suck up to my boss. That’s one thing I’m working on. I’m at Ponderosa and I’m trying to write all these suck-uppy lines for people like Brad Culpepper. “Man, you are such a beast in these challenges, and you carry your team, man. People just don’t understand your intensity. But I get it. There’s nothing wrong with you. People are afraid of you and that’s why they target you. I think we’re a very unlikely pair, and so if we team up, you can go a lot further in this game.”

Josh Wigler (Survivor press, Parade): And do you mean any of that?

Michaela Bradshaw (Millennials vs Gen X): NO!

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 3, 2017

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
The first time I watched those 7 minutes I was hyped but tbh it could be better. 5 minutes of fluff on the ridiculous Game Changers theme. Only good part was JT saying that Sandra wouldn't be the only two-time winner

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Fan Favorite Sierra Dawn Thomas got the secret advantage huh

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I may be about to be bamboozled, but this vote seems obvious

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
The Tony haters are crawling out of the woodwork

https://twitter.com/HatchRichard/status/839659826615619585

https://twitter.com/KassMcQ/status/839659313153064960

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I'm beginning to think these tribes weren't properly balanced. You could say Ciera, Sandra, and Jeff are the three physically weakest players out there.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Glad to see there's mutual respect between Sandra and Tony.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2017-exit-interview-podcast-ciera-eastin-tony-vlachos-game-changers-march-8/ (skip to 25:15 to hear him slobbering over Sandra)

https://twitter.com/SandraDTwine/status/839822734376992771

Comes across better than...some previous big names in previous seasons who felt the need to denigrate their competition (cough...Boston Rob) or couldn't accept losing (cough..Russell).

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Ozzy's a petty douche but there's absolutely nothing wrong with him not trusting Cirie. Cirie admitted as much. Ozzy may be motivated too much by petty revenge or something but the thought process is the right one. A player with a legendary reputation for manipulating people screwed you over so you don't want to trust them again.

I love Cirie so I'm not hating on her. She's just in a really difficult spot because her rep precedes her. The only way you can really combat that is to go against type and convince players you're different (at least until you see an opening for a bigger play) That's tough but if you act the exact way everyone expects you to then you're just reinforcing that reputation. That's part of what Tony did. That's part of what Ciera did. Cirie has to stop scrambling and send a different impression before it's too late.

Or, you know, it's early so someone could gently caress up big or there could be a swap and that could kick her out of the spotlight.

Ozzy says in the episode "The thing with me and Cirie, it really wasn't anything because she just went along with what my alliance decided to do, so I can't hold that against her." That doesn't really sound too bad to me, I don't get why people are holding that against him.

Also, getting personal revenge on people who voted you out is a tale as old as Survivor time. Jerri really wanted to vote out Boston Rob in All-Stars. Kass really wanted to vote out Woo in Seocnd Chance. Rob C has talked about how he wanted the satisfaction of voting out Jenna in All-Stars. What's being human without being at least a little petty.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Max posted:

Probably "X Drew a rock." But there is no way in my mind that people's loyalties would be that solid pre-merge to force a rock draw.

I could see it if there is a tribe swap before the merge and both sides are 3-3 or 4-4.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Jt man :ughh: Two of the top ten worst moves in Survivor history

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/MalcolmWHW/status/847242856477540356

Malcolm plz

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

"Never been so excited to be at tribal council"

JT is going home

I can *feel* it too, he's not playing his idol isn't he

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Jt :ughh: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/parvatishallow/status/847250988285149187

https://twitter.com/CandiceCodyMD/status/847250698521632768

Man they hate JT :lol:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Fun fact: Ozzy is the same age now as Colby was during Heroes vs Villains

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Tai you losing it homie

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
That conversation with Tai might have been staged....right?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
This episode would have been 150% to 200% better if Ozzy had been the one to go to Exile Ship and get advice from Cochran

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I bet it would be him asking her how he can play and win again and general geeking out

Rob C has said on RHAP that Sandra is a huge fan of Cochran, so that would have gone well.

Michaela and Brad would also have been funny people to have there with Cochran. But Debbie was pretty good.

I think production is shooting themselves in the foot if they wanted big names to stick around this season. First off, they cast a bunch of A-list Survivors with a bunch of nobodies. Apparently there aren't enough people around from All-Stars to remember that this will end up in a big name slaughter. If you're going to do an all-returnees season, it needs to be either all huge names (Heroes vs. Villains) or mostly non A-listers (Cambodia) to ensure that the boot order isn't tragic. Second, tribe switches tend to screw over the biggest names/leaders/people playing the hardest in each tribe, rather than the players doing nothing or coasting by. That's why Sandra went home this week. Third, that stupid both tribes go to tribal council twist where Mana had all the incentive in the world to screw over Nuku by voting out a strong player (Malcolm).

If this season ends up with a Brad, Sierra, Troyzan, Sarah, and Hali final five (tbh I feel like that is the way this season is going), the Survivor press and fans gotta make it clear to production that they need to change things up for the next returnees season.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

The decision to out Zeke is still near incomprehensible to me so I spent some time thinking about it, and one thing I came up with is that Zeke's season hadn't aired yet, so the other players didn't really know him, but Varner had obviously done some sleuthing online to come across that stuff Zeke wrote about being trans while he was in Harvard. So what happens is Varner goes out to the island knowing this secret and figuring he's probably the only one who knows, and maybe partly thinking something like, "I have this information about Zeke and I should use it, I shouldn't go home without using this ammo I have." The problem is that it was never his place or okay to do, of course, and also that just having the info doesn't mean he should use it or that it would even be useful, but he just failed to recognize that.

That's my generous interpretation, where his goal is to make Zeke and Ozzy seem like a more scary and dangerous thing I guess? My less generous interpretation is that it was spite, he bonded with Zeke and Zeke lied to him about Sandra, and then they reconnected and Zeke said he wanted to go all the way to the end with him, only to tell him later that actually instead he was going home now, before the merge. And so Varner was resentful and malicious.

That theory doesn't really work, because Game Changers filmed two weeks after Millennials vs. Gen X ended, and like 4 months before Millennials vs. Gen X started airing in the USA. So they would have had no idea who Michaela and Zeke were.

Varner deduced it on his own while on the island, though. If you want to see what Varner was thinking, here is his Day After video:
http://d.pr/v/lp0z

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
On the topic of Brad, I just watched an unaired Cirie confessional about him. She's a great social player so her take is worth hearing; she says Brad tells a lot of crude jokes but he really loves his wife, so overall she's mildly positive about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DntriRlFJyA

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Eezee posted:

Is there some kind of guide of what seasons are worth watching? 34 seasons is a lot and I'm sure that not all of them have a cast that's as great as Pearl Islands.

I think this list is pretty good (spoiler free):
http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-seasons-rankings-results-live-sept-22-2015-s31/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
I doubt it's going to be a remaining original Mana Michaela/Aubry/Trozan/Hali slaughter. I think it's gonna be a Brad vs. Ozzy war

Brad, Sierra, Troyzan (with Aubry and Cirie?)
Ozzy, Andrea, Sarah, Zeke (with Debbie and Tai?)
Who knows what Michaela and Hali are going to do.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Zeke man :ughh: Don't go after Cirie and Andrea

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Shneak posted:

There's no way this isn't going to be a pagonging.

Tai (two idols), Troyzan (one idol), Sierra (legacy advantage), and Debbie (extra vote that's not used) were on the same side. Other side was hosed if it stays that way

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/ErikReichenb4ch/status/862501845394223104

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Some insider type on Reddit had a great breakdown of why the Game Changers cast was so puzzling, and part of it comes down to CBS taking charge of casting much like they do with Big Brother. They weren't happy with how Kaoh Rong went so apparently they seized about half of the casting slots and shoveled in people like Ozzy and Caleb, and also nixed people like Danni Boatright, leaving production to fill in archetypes like young hot girl with strategy brains (Hali).

It's essentially the same criticism as we had with Candice getting on HvV and BvW, and Amanda Kimmel getting cast like 15 times. CBS has decided that they're who people want to see, and regarding casuals, they probably have the data to back it up.

but just lol if we see Candice again

Do you have a link to the post on Reddit? Can't find it on the survivor subreddit

edit: Also, the reason why Candice, Amanda, and Andrea are all 3-timers is obvious, and it's not because they are popular with casuals.

edit2: I will defend Candice's casting by saying that she has been good entertainment each time that she has been on. She always ends up in a blood feud with somebody over some stupid poo poo and it's good TV.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 13, 2017

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

This season might not be as big on game-changing moves like Cambodia or even MvG, but I think a nice thing is that there haven't even been any 'down periods' so to speak. The entire pre-merge was entertaining, if nothing else. Post-merge players weren't as strong, but you can go to facepalming at Zeke's terrible plays to Debbie's terrible plays to Sierra's terrible plays.

So far I think the only miscasts they've made are Caleb and Troyzan, and for a season of 20 that's not too bad.

Well, Hatch is out. Amber, Boston Rob, Parvati, Denise and Yul have been known to decline returning for some seasons.

Personally what would be hilarious would be if they actually did the All-Winners season, and Natalie White or Michele Fitzgerald won, silencing their critics once and for all (nah, people would still whine about it).

I have no doubt in my mind that a Fabio, Danni, Natalie, or Sophie is winning a All-Winners season

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Shneak posted:

So Sarah gave her vote steal to Cirie knowing about it being non-transferable just to see if Cirie would use it against her? Give this bitch the money.

fwiw

https://twitter.com/troy_zan/status/865009355355168768

https://twitter.com/troy_zan/status/865010534944526337

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
theme and title of S35 are out. think of the worst possible theme you can think of

it's worse hahahaha what the christ http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-35-theme-and-title-revealed-27487

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

is brad the outright favourite to win rn?????

If it was a Tai Brad Troy F3 maybe, otherwise I'd say the other 3 can beat him

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
There have been way too many twists, idols, and advantages this season, to the detriment of the game. Hopefully they decide to scale back in future seasons.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Troyzan is like when Damian Lillard said the Blazers were gonna beat the Warriors

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

blue squares posted:

its gonna be a good FTC

I think (hope?) it's going to get seriously nasty and vicious. Like All-Stars status.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Wow Brad is delusional. Vote out Sarah over Tai wtf

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/russellhantz/status/867551886081224704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007