Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

mancalamania posted:

Like you said, it's not the WORST move ever, especially compared to something like Erik giving up the immunity necklace. It's certainly easy to see the upside to the move had J.T. been right. It's just kind of strange that of all the ways to avoid a 5-5 tie, he took arguably the riskiest way, and then literally everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.

I don't even think it was the worst move that season. I would give that to Tyson voting himself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

Somebody give me a season of Survivor to start rewatching right now. I'd prefer obscure > remembering who wins.

Marquesas

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Some jurors react badly and vote badly but most of the time you know its going to happen a mile away and the finalist really deserves some blame for not doing a better job avoiding it.

The best players are always the ones who do the extra work to make sure that some jury member they screwed over doesn't go into the jury bitter. The ones who lose and whine about being screwed by a bitter jury are often the ones who kicked the jurors on the way out the door.

Yeah, basically this. The only 2nd place person I can think of who can really make an argument that the jury was bitter and it was out of their hands to control that was Neleh.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Well, I do think the jury treated Twila really, really unfairly.

I forgot about Twila, you're right.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

mancalamania posted:

I think someone like Aubry was screwed by the jury much more than Russell. With Russell, we saw him blatantly antagonize multiple jury members, constantly being goaded into picking fights with others, and generally annoying everyone for no good reason especially in the last few days. It made sense that the jury didn't want to reward that.

But with Aubry, the jury vote is much harder to understand. We never saw Aubry antagonize anyone, and multiple jurors were constantly saying how much they liked and respected Aubry (including Scot, Jason, and Debbie, who all ended up voting Michele over Aubry). I guess maybe the edit just didn't capture what Aubry did, but even in post-game interviews no one has ever been able to satisfactorily explain why Aubry lost and some (most notably Jason) even seemed to indicate some regret for their vote.

Honestly, I think the jury just liked Michelle more. It's one of those things that is unsatisfying to strategy minded viewers, but a lot of people when required to give someone a million dollars are just going to go with personal friendliness.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I also think Natalie can point to the first vote after the merge as one in which she had major influence on its outcome.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

When was the last time they read final tribal votes at the filming site? Tocantins?

I thought they hadn't done that since the first season. They pretended to do it in Africa and Thailand, I believe.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Don't forget Merica.

What was the dumb merge tribe name Erik conned them into during FvF, again?

Dabu, I think.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think Fiji and Gabon get a bad rap. Gabon had questionable gameplay but insane entertainment value, and post merge Fiji is peak survivor.

I agree with Fiji. It's one of my favorite seasons. The gimmick was stupid, but the strategy was good. It also has one of the best tribal councils ever.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I was really impressed with Sarah's tribal council game this episode. Just on the right side of bored confidence.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

I really don't even see what Sarah did that could even slightly be taken as offensive. She lied to people or whatever, but she never once did an actually malicious thing that I can recall.

In terms of all-returnee seasons, I don't know that you can play a better game than what Sarah did.

I think Sarah did the same thing Dawn got punished for in FvF2. Sarah built genuine friendships with the people she voted out and probably used the genuine, personal knowledge she gained from those friendships to help stop suspicion from her targets before she turned on them.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

xbilkis posted:

She probably would have won Fans vs. Favorites if there wasn't a surprise F2, right?

I think Amanda wins a F3. Parvati keeps Natalie and Alexis. Cirie gets Eliza and Jason. I don't see what argument Cirie makes that pulls any of Amanda's votes.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

If anything she was the perfection of the Rob C strategy always being the pivotal vote and flipping between alliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

I never feel very strongly about Andrea while she's playing, but she always takes getting voted out so well :3:.

This is the reason I like Andrea.

• Locked thread