Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, Sandra knows her audience really well and won't tip her hand until it's all clear. She wasn't going to blow up the conversation she and Troyzan were having until Troyzan was gone. But nope, Tony just had to explode over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sandra really is the best.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was going to say that he didn't do much social hustling while Sandra rounded up the votes, but I wonder if that's just because very few people even even wanted to talk to him.

Like, he had to rely on Caleb to nab the other votes instead of Malcolm, which maybe wasn't a good idea.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If she can get away from Ozzy I think her chances of making the Merge will improve dramatically.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Can we all appreciate how Brad Culpepper got like, zero confessionals.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watching Malcolm's favorite moments from Survivor, it's clear he HATES Skupin.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

In hindsight, that's a very valid position to have.

Oh for sure. It's just funny when he lists "Skupin falling in the fire" and "Skupin getting hit in the head with a coconut" as some of his favorite moments.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tony winning is one of my favorite what if's, where if somehow Tony had won final immunity, I think Woo actually had a shot at winning the whole thing (provided Tony didn't drop kick him on to the Jury.) I think everyone saw it as someone's unambiguous chance to finally get rid of Tony, and he didn't take the shot because he'd rather sit next to someone that deserved to make it to the end, in his own words. Kass immediately saying Woo would have beat her in her exit confessional was pretty indicative of what was going to happen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

My favourite 'what if' would actually have been if David hadn't played his idol for Jessica last season, just because of all the potential ramifications that could have happened afterwards.

Come to think of it, there's never been a rock draw before the merge, right? If someone gets eliminated by rock draw when there are still separate tribes, does Probst still goes 'X voted out last tribal council' when the tribes meet for the challenge?

Probably "X Drew a rock." But there is no way in my mind that people's loyalties would be that solid pre-merge to force a rock draw.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Haha, rewatching the first episode, Ciera's "I don't want to be the first person voted out" line is even better.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Either the editors sucked or she just wasn't an interesting character but was a good player.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The other thing with Russell is that you may have a great strategy, but when a player like that is around most of that goes out the window and the very clear winning move at that point is "Sit next to him at the end." You can pretty much coast the rest of the game and stay off his radar enough and you'll get the Million.

Like, when it became clear they couldn't get rid of him in HvV, I'm sure everyone instead tried to find ways to convince Russell to keep them around. Sandra just did the best job of it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hatch actually said as much during his recent AMA. He said that a majority of players still don't really play strategically, in that they aren't flexible with what's going on, and do exactly what you said. They just self-destruct when their plan is clearly not going to work out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Basically we need more Matts.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's also why I appreciated Brett's play in the past season. He at least had the intuition to recognize he couldn't just walk back to camp and do that thing where he gets really huffy and refuses to engage with people. It didn't work for him in the end but I bet if Brett blew up after Chris was voted out he would have been out a lot sooner.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Funny 115 guy just put out an article about Brad Culpepper, and the bad undeserved reputation he got from BvW. http://funny115.com/v3/84.htm

Max
Nov 30, 2002

His intuition to get Tai to feel like he arrived at that conclusion all on his own was pretty spot on.

But from a meta standpoint, unless it's a repeat of KR, Brad got fairly little time in the spotlight for the premiere that I doubt he makes it all the way, though it seems like he'll go further this time.

Max fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 17, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Read that 115 article. Mario went out of his way to redeem that reputation Culpepper got. He definitely isn't the smartest tool in the shed, but he's a pleasant guy all around.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite use of that was when Mike thretened playing an idol to see if anyone would flip off Shirin. His little "Someone voted Dan" at the end was so petty but so satisfying.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

In a world where JT doesn't tell them who the vote is for, Sierra is a good choice because I don't think they would have given her the idol in that situation, and would have thrown it at Brad.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sandra's gonna lay into him, most likely.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Interesting that JT knew he had apparently really hosed up halfway through that Tribal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was shocked by the twist last night but in the light of day, I kinda liked the twist, with the caveat that they should allow for the two tribes to talk before the tribal.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Culpepper doing that pseudo threat and Hali shooting back by telling him that was a terrible way to sell it was maybe the only critique of Brad that I could make from last night. You can see in his face he realized he didn't word it well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, that's 4 Mana down, those are bad numbers.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I hope not. I don't think anyone needs a fourth game.

He said as much. He said if they ask him he doesn't know what he would say, but he feels like 3 is his cap.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I wonder who told him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watching that last tribal again, I think Hali comes out OK on her current tribe. She was working to move the vote, and didn't give away the presence of the idol. JT on the other hand . . .

Max
Nov 30, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they could hold it against her that she thought about flipping but she was already at the bottom of the Tribe and they were pretty much antagonizing her during that thing by constantly questioning and quasi-threatening her.

The reasonable response would be for them to say "Ok, Hali, you were backed into a corner and you did what you thought you had to do. We can respect that." But in the worst case she's just in the same "odd man out" position she was in before Tribal.

Although if Brad knew that Hali was pushing for him to be the target he could certainly hold that grudge. And he seems to be the relative power of the Tribe. But again, she was already Target #1.

It was worse for JT because he seemed to actually be ingratiating himself with his tribe. Plus his tribe wasn't questioning/antagonizing him the way Hali's was.

Yeah, you can also see Sierra asking if it was her, and Hali soft comfirms it by saying "I'm trying to move the vote." Even if Brad is annoyed, Hali is probably good in Sierra's book. She's probably still at the bottom, you're right, but not in an active "lets just throw it and get rid of her" way.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If I were Hali I'd just spin it as "I was trying to get them to take out JT"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think it was clear Sandra wasn't going to listen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

To be fair to her, I don't think she planned on being so blatant but with Tony freaking out at her I think she had to go on the offense way sooner than she normally does.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/MalcolmWHW/status/847461709748912130

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My favorite is still Dabu.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Debbie apparently taking a break from yelling to do pushups while everyone watches is what really puts that whole sequence over the top for me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I agree that Millennials vs GenX should be included in a list somewhere because they changed up the way they did casting and it worked really well for that group. I hope they do it more going forward.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvJ2oWULVuI

This is a good recap and I'm going to watch her each week now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not surprised Sandra wants to work with Michaela, given her history with Courtney.

Gluten Freeman posted:

This one is also amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IOaAI7lZS4

God I want her to win

"I'm a trigger for JT . . . you're gonna have to ask JT what that trigger is" is the spice I've been looking for today, drat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think they would edit her the way they are if she won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I feel like a lot of people haven't been given a lot of screen time simply because a large group haven't really been to too many tribals.

• Locked thread