Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Some of you may remember my old thread about an abandoned house in my neighbourhood. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738589

Today, I went back to find it still standing and decided to poke around in the open shed/garage to find some interesting things. There is a high likelihood that the place will just be torn down for the development of a future McMansion once it sells, so I want there to be some record of what was once there.

These are just of few of the photos I took.

This photo is probably of Gwendolen and Bennett, the eldest children of the family, but there were no names or dates written on it.

The plastic bag is full of letters and stuff. Most of the letters are from 1940 and 1941.

Baptism certificates for Bennett and Gwen. It seems Bennett was baptized in Santa Monica, California.

This photo is a mystery. No info written on the back. It might be from a stage production?

Here's what seems to be the oldest of the handwritten letters.

The first part reads as follows.

Bennett Clarke posted:

November 1st, 1940

Dear Mom, Gwen, Pop and little Muriel,

How are we all keeping. I will be looking forward to learning how Muriel makes out in Edmonton medical circles. Before I continue with any news, I have a job for Gwen so that the next section of this letter is written to her.

Dear Gwen,

The enclosed letter from Tommy Bales is the first word I have received from them re my car. So hear is what i think we should do. If the car is sold for cash the only one who stands to lose is B.WInthrop Clarke. Canada Packers were charging plenty of interest on the loan to me so that they don't stand to lose anything, in fact they are probably making a little.

Now here is what I suggest. I will sell the car to Muriel. You can sell our other car, and we can pay what we can get for it, minus a little for current funds for the Clarke's, to Canada Packers on the loan. Now if we are as broke as I think we are, you can look around for someone who is buying a car without a trade in and get them to turn my coupe in on it to our material gain. The whole point being that if we sell the car for cash and pay C.P. what we owe on it we don't make a cent. I don't know the exact figures but if we work it the other way we should make over $100.00.

In the meantime you people have a car to use. I will write Bob Andrew to give you the exact figures on what we owe them on the car, interest rates and all that stuff, then you can go out and see Tommy with all the dope, and by talking faster than he, and that is plenty fast, you could talk him into handling the car in this way, or else see a finance company and have it handled that way. That is if you think you should keep the car and all that stuff. Write me immediately telling me what you think of the whole idea and what shape my car is in and all that stuff because the main point is this. In this particular deal if the car is sold we stand to lose but if we keep it we are out of pocket no money whatsoever. Then if you don't want a coupe you can take my car next spring down to Stettler and get a 1941 Sedan from Shorty Sneider there for about $225 and that he would give you terms on that. Time is the vital factor. You see in one month I will be making 3 or 4 dollars a day and will be in a position to carry the payments and would be very glad to do this.

Here is the idea to sell Mr. Bales. I got called in a hurry. He wouldn't like to see me lose like I will if the car is sold so that if they will finance the car we will pay them off very quickly, and we could. As soon as I start flying I will send them at least $20 per month and if necessary more and Muriel will probably be able to match that so that if you $200 or $300 from the sale of the 36 Ford the whole deal would be cleaned up very quickly.. And they stand to lose nothing., and they would be doing me a very great favor.

Write me airmail immediately how we could work it if you like the idea, and I will airmail a letter to the big boss with whom i am on the best of terms, before you speak to them about the deal at all.

You could phone Colin at the bank and get the exact figures we owe on the car. Tell him I want them. I can give them the minimum price I would accept as Tommy asks for in the enclosed letter.

Hah! Hah! respondey immediment ma che`re souer. Won't you have fun swinging this deal, or will you.

Hey Muriel. How do you like my car. It would sure be nice to have it down here.

I plan to gradually post and transcribe all the letters and post more of the old photographs I found as well.

If you have any old photos or old letters, please share them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
last thread was cool, excited to see what interesting poo poo you find

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Part 2 of the letter:

Bennett Clarke posted:

Saturday 2:00 P.M.

Ah Hah! Rumour has again raised its ugly head, only this time I think or HOPE that it is backed a little more than by just rumour. It is a fact that our movement orders have come through. We are leaving here before next Friday definitely, that is as definitely as anything can be in the airforce. But I think this dope is the McCoy. However there are several rumours as to where we are going. I will say no more about this because by tonight before I leave here to mail this letter, I may have some.

Sunday 3:00 P.M.

Well the letter didn't get mailed so I will add some today. We are definitely going to the #1 Initial Training School at the Eglinten (?) Hunt Club Toronto, next Saturday. That is all those who joined as pilots or observers (?) Those who joined as wireless air gunmen go to #1 Equipment Depot in Toronto for more guard duty. Wasn't I lucky to not join as a gunmen as I almost did. So at last we are on our way. It was too bad I didn't get west but there is always a possibility I might get out there later.

Gee Whiz, isn't the American election getting hot. I think Roosevelt will win though. I have listened to several election speeches on the radio. Did you people hear Irwin S. Cobb speaking from San Fransisco. Boy was he tough. Never heard such a tough election speech. The Republicans must be spending a heck of a lot of money. They sure have a lot of good speakers.

What is news from the election there. Any new developments. Keep me posted eh! I hope Pop is not worrying over it at all.

Hello Muriel. How do you like Edmonton again. Are there many airmen there or ain't you interested. Drop us a line eh!

Got a letter from Pete the other day. He is flying at Windsor now. He leaves for Dunneville on Nov. 27. He is leader of his squadron. It seems they are pepping up the training scheme considerably now.

If I get selected as a pilot I will probably by flying in 5 or 6 weeks. Here's hoping.

Gee will I not be sorry to leave this mud hole back into civilization again. I told you before how nice Eglinton is. It will be heaven after this place.

I had quite an experience last night. I was guarding the pump house and during a very heavy storm lightning hit the transformer. Quite a scare, but hear I am.

Well good luck to Muriel in her search for a hospital job and also good luck to Pop in his election endeavor.

It's too bad he has no backing. Running alone is too tough. I don't think he can win without the support of some party, but it is fair trying if he doesn't spend any money.

Love to all
Brother

P.S. Hey Pop. Remember not to stay out too late at night every night. You speak a heck of a lot more fluently after a good sleep.

Turns out, even with a world war going on, the biggest thing on the minds of Canadians is the American election.

Gee whiz, how times have changed.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
personal letters can be so revealing, not just of the mundane, but also the sublime

i like your post very much, op.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Look at this photograph

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh, and for those who can't be bothered to read the old thread, "Pop" is "Fighting" Joe Clarke, 5 time mayor of Edmonton. He and his wife (Gwendolen Asbury Clarke) had 3 children. Gwen, Bennett and Muriel.

At the time the letter was written, Bennett had entered the airforce to become a pilot and was doing training in Ontario.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This kind of stuff is fascinating for some reason

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like looking through these windows to a different time era. Sometimes I wish I could find a window that shows me stuff that will happen in the future.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Time for some more!

It seems that the oldest document in the pile is actually this marriage certificate from 1912.

Here's some more photographs. A couple of the postcards just say "My two sons" on the back, or at least, I think that's what it says.

Now there's all these letters that have been put into one envelope.

The first one.

Bennett Clarke posted:

Nov 10/40 Sunday 9 P.M.

Dear Mom,

We are still here and boy is this a swell station. Tonight for supper we have nice crisp lettuce and celery on the table, pickles, catsup for trimmings. Gee it's been two months since we've seen the like of this. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. We have to pay an extra nickel each meal for milk but its worth it.

Tonight we all went swimming and had a whale of a time. It's a very nice pool. There are bowling alleys and a very fine library.

The discipline here is very rigid. You must watch the way you walk. You must have your uniform immaculate. And you must wear only issue stuff, even down to the issue tie pin. On parade a fellow got 5 days C.B (confined to barracks) for not looking straight to the front while at attention. Another 7 days CB. for not shaving that morning.

We wake up at 6 A.M. First parade at 8:05 A.M.

You must have your buttons shined and your bed made up. They are very particular about all beds being made up the same way. We also must sweep out our barracks.

Yesterday we saw "Strike up The Band". drat good show.

There are a bunch of boys from Argentina in our barracks.

Next big thing is our medical at the Banting Institute. Boy am I nervous, or am I. I'm afraid of my heart but time will tell.

Well I'll finish up tomorrow.

Goodnight.

November 11 , 11:30 A.M.

Dear Mom,

We were issued books for this morning, divided off into squadrons and flights.

I am in #2 Squadron and "A" Flight. Address my mail as follows.

Clarke B. W. R61062
R.C.A.F.
No 1 Initial Training School
"A" Flight
Toronto Ontario

There are quite a few fellows here. Probably about 500. How about the people there hoping I will be selected as a pilot, I will hope too and then I will be one. Hope! Hope!

The more I see of this place the better I like it.

Best love mommy

Bennett

Dear Pop,

How goes the politicing I bet you're right in there pitching. I guess the election will be over by the time you receive this and that you will be an alderman or you won't be an alderman. Who gives a drat anyway, but we could use the dough-re-mei.

Hey you! Are you getting to bed as early as you should. When you stay out too late, too often, you don't feel so well, so remember that, see.

We go to bed here at 10:30 P.M.

Good luck Pop.

Brother

Hello Gwenie

What do you think of the automobile situation.

Maybe you would get a much better deal if you traded both cars in on a new car. You would wind up cash in hand. If you think you ought to try all the different ways and pick up the best deal you can.

How do you like the new dodge. Remember also a tudor is much cheaper. Give us the dope as soon as possible so I can write (?) to the plant.

Love + Kisses Brother

Hello Muriel

How about a letter letting me know how you are doing.

Love Brother.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Nice. Love it!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Looks like Mrs. Clarke purchased some stocks.

Here are some gentlemen.

And another letter.

Bennett Clarke posted:

Saturday evening,

Dear Mom,

Well here I am on a 48 + still in camp. I spent the whole day sleeping. It sure is a good idea. I think I will do it more often.

For Thanksgiving Dinner I will be going to Bob Campbell's in St. Thomas. His mom is a good cook, so everything in under control.

Hey Gwen. My Squadron Leader was talking to Marge Stern in St. Thomas the other day. I haven't seen her yet. What is her address Gwenie?

Swell letter from Pete, wasn't it. I will write him more frequently now.

Did you write the Fleyman's Mom? Have you got your allowance from the gov't yet?

If not the Fleymans should be able to pop 'em up, because he used to be connected with that part of the gov't work.

Hope you are taking good care of your health.

You had enough of that drat gall bladder trouble last time.

Well Aylmer has it's first fatal accident last week. Two students flying together got careless.

Well we are still working hard. I got a very splendiferous new flying suit issued to me. It's quite something.

It's getting pretty cold these days now so it's a good idea. They are getting the heaters installed in most of the planes now.

All my deals for selling the car have fallen through.

We could do much better selling the car out there so if there is any possibility of taking it out there we should take it out because we could do better there, if fact the difference would pay for the trip.

Best Love

Brother

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
this dude and his drat car lol

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

awesome, I thought the mystery of the old lady house was gone forever!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nooner posted:

this dude and his drat car lol

somebody should buy that car

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

all those boring people are dead now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bah

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Thank you for this thread OP. I love these types of things. I've done a lot of genealogy and been helped in amazing ways because of a trunk full of old photos and letters that my great grandmother labeled before she passed away. Some of the photos go back into the 1800s and there are things in there like my great grandfathers top hat, old cookbooks that call for thing like "one bucket of rainwater" and my grandfathers scrap book from middlebury college in the 1920s.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I've developed a similar fetish collecting 8mm home movies from thrift stores and yard sards. I've then scanned them on a flatbed scanner at 4800 dpi and posted stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFwoZSdmaY

Precious memories, $1 for the box.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Chlamyllionaire posted:

I've developed a similar fetish collecting 8mm home movies from thrift stores and yard sards. I've then scanned them on a flatbed scanner at 4800 dpi and posted stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFwoZSdmaY

Precious memories, $1 for the box.

i like this

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
nessa rules

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nessa drools! Hhahahahaahahahhaaha

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

Nessa drools! Hhahahahaahahahhaaha

Hhahahahaahahahhaaha I like these threads

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Suck my walls! Shot I'm not doing it right🏈🏈🏈🏈

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Luvcow posted:

Thank you for this thread OP. I love these types of things. I've done a lot of genealogy and been helped in amazing ways because of a trunk full of old photos and letters that my great grandmother labeled before she passed away. Some of the photos go back into the 1800s and there are things in there like my great grandfathers top hat, old cookbooks that call for thing like "one bucket of rainwater" and my grandfathers scrap book from middlebury college in the 1920s.

Trunks full of old photos are cool!

My mom inherited a trunk from my great aunt that contained my great grandmother's wedding dress, along with a bunch of old photos that we bring out for family reunions.

Here's some more stuff!

A lovely photo of a child strangling their father. Adorable.

Some stuff about Saskatchewan regional districts?

And something about telegraphs.

Here's the contents of another letter. This one is pretty adorable, actually. There wasn't a date on it, so I don't know when this one was written in relation to the others.

Bennett Clarke posted:

Saturday, 19,
I mean Sunday 2:30 A.M.

Dear Mom + Pop,

Well for quite a while I haven't had a drat thing to write about in my letters to you, but you see I wouldn't be writing at this time unless I had something to say.

Well Gwenie + I are here at the Becks and tonight dear sister went over to visit Mrs. Flexman + Major Flexman. After I got home from the show with Aunt Marion I went over to get Gwenie in our Chevy.

Well I got there at about 10:00 P.M. + we didn't get away until 2:15 A.M.

We were discussing our parents very minutely. And Gee Mom, does Mrs. Flexman ever know you well. Also my father is quite well known to the Flexmans.

Well we all just sat and talked a blue streak about you people and things and stuff. I don't know when I've enjoyed an evening so much in a long time, and I know Gwenie got a great kick out of it too. The Flexmans are sure nice people.

Mrs. Flexman told us lots about you mom when you were a young gal.

It's surprising Mom about how little we have heard about your youth, but we've heard lots about "that desparate bad boy" Pop's younger days.

But I'm sure that if we could get you and Mrs. Flexman together now, we would get plenty of the dope on you when you were a gal. What do you think?

Yes Sir!

So then we got to talk about our "father right or wrong". Yep your Joey!

How you used to get mad at being systematically + deliberately thwarted every turn, remember.

Mrs. Flexman told one priceless story on Joe Mom.

It seems that once a wasp bit our favourite little daughter Gwenie. So father gets mad at all wasps.

But it seems these poor wasps have their nest in the wall of the veranda, so when Pop can't get at them, he grabs an axe and starts to attack the veranda with it. It seems your are quite indignant about this Mom! Surprising eh!

So dear parents if you don't remember this incident you can go out on the porch and see the scars on the wall where angry Joey got in a couple of good licks with the axe before someone so rudely interrupted. I remember em!

So then we remembered about mom coming home from a trip and Pop having "three black women" to do the work mom usually did cleaning up the house, remember?

And millions of other things to numerous to remember but they sure brought back lots of memories. Yesiree!

During the evening Major Flexman told us several good stories.

One about you was good Pop. It seems that before you and mom were married her friends were telling her what a wicked guy you were in the Yukon. One even went so far as to say that father was the father of the child of a certain married woman in the Yukon.

So Mom, it seems you questioned father about this, and after thinking Pop says , No, not THAT woman. Heh! Heh! Quite a guy my Pop.

Then Major Flexman told a very super super story about the cirt(?) of some of these blocks that come over from England and how they with their sense of humour can never get a joke straight. The story is about the toast "Here's to the happiest hours of my life, spent in the arms of another man's wife, my mother."

It's kind of long so remind Gwenie to tell it when she comes home.

Well talking about all the old things your people did reminds us that we love our parents very much, even if we forgot to show it sometimes.

I guess after Gwenie and I got through tonight with the Flexmans thought we thought our parents were just about the bestest parents going. i hope they got that impression, because no fooling, the more I see of every other guys parents the more I appreciate my Mom + Pop.

So to bed with Bennett Winthrop. Mrs. Flexman disapproves of Ben. She says Bennett. But she says if I were her boy she would call me Winthrop.

Between us, I'll settle for Brother.

But as I said before, so to bed. I'll finish this letter tomorrow.

Best love to your both,

Goodnight.

Sunday night

Well today I slept practically continuously in the approved B. Clarke manner.

It is 9:30 P.M. and Genie is driving me down to where i get a ride to Trenton.

Don't worry about our Gwenie not getting gas for home.

We have it all figured out.

Best love

Brother

Gwendolen Clarke posted:

Had a well week in Niagra. Saw Flexmans yesterday. Will be here a few days. Will write tomorrow. Love Gwen.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 28, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Given in the other thread you said the house belonged to a former mayor, a local historical society may have interest in preserving and archiving some of this stuff. You should probably contact one of them, so anything that's actually of historic value isn't lost when the place is torn down.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Given in the other thread you said the house belonged to a former mayor, a local historical society may have interest in preserving and archiving some of this stuff. You should probably contact one of them, so anything that's actually of historic value isn't lost when the place is torn down.

I will!

I'm sure there are much more valuable things in the house proper. This is all just stuff from the shed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo it's crazy that a bunch of cool artifacts and letters from a big-time local person ended up in some random abandoned shed. pretty funny that guy was five-time mayor but at the time his son was going on about "well i guess he can run for alderman if he doesn't spend any money..."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

What the hell is on jimmy's head?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Donate the historical items

Hawk the valuable items

Strip all the copper

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hth posted:

Donate the historical items

Hawk the valuable items

Strip all the copper

Hit yourself in the nuts with a brick. TIA.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo it's crazy that a bunch of cool artifacts and letters from a big-time local person ended up in some random abandoned shed. pretty funny that guy was five-time mayor but at the time his son was going on about "well i guess he can run for alderman if he doesn't spend any money..."

Well, the shed is on the same property as the falling apart house that belonged to the family. The youngest daughter, Muriel had lived in it alone for a number of years before going to live in the veteran's home. She died nearly a year ago at the age of 99. I only got to meet her once, but her mind was too far gone to have much of a conversation. I was going to ask if I could get permission to take photos of the inside of her house, but she didn't even know what month it was. :( At least she seemed to enjoy the flowers I brought her.

No living relatives in the province mean the place is up for sale for lot value of nearly $500,000. The house is on the list of historic homes, but is not on the registry, so it's not protected.

It's interesting to hear about money problems for what seemed to be such a well off family. Joe Clarke had a Stadium and athletic grounds named after him.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nessa posted:

Well, the shed is on the same property as the falling apart house that belonged to the family. The youngest daughter, Muriel had lived in it alone for a number of years before going to live in the veteran's home. She died nearly a year ago at the age of 99. I only got to meet her once, but her mind was too far gone to have much of a conversation. I was going to ask if I could get permission to take photos of the inside of her house, but she didn't even know what month it was. :( At least she seemed to enjoy the flowers I brought her.

No living relatives in the province mean the place is up for sale for lot value of nearly $500,000. The house is on the list of historic homes, but is not on the registry, so it's not protected.

It's interesting to hear about money problems for what seemed to be such a well off family. Joe Clarke had a Stadium and athletic grounds named after him.

this is like a message your grandma leaves on the answering machine

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this is like a message your grandma leaves on the answering machine

give him a break. he is canadian, he's from a much simpler time

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is pretty cool man.

Have you considered taking these to a museum or some sort of local historical society?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Luvcow posted:

Yeah old stuff is neat. The best is old pictures of places you know of now. Like those then and now photo albums.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That stock certificate is worth 300 million dollars. Llanarthney School for Girls eventually became Pepsi.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Drunk & Ugly posted:

give him a break. he is canadian, he's from a much simpler time

Excuse me, but I am a lady.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nessa posted:

do you think they were really having serious money problems? the stuff you've posted so far sounds ambiguous to me, and sometimes it's people who are decently middle-class or better who obsess over that stuff. like among all my extended family, the people who are most passionate about getting the best deals financially are the ones who are better-off in that regard :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah old stuff is neat. The best is old pictures of places you know of now. Like those then and now photo albums.

Those are always cool to see

• Locked thread