Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My grandmother passed shortly before Thanksgiving, and while cleaning out her house we found boxes and boxes of old memorabilia. She never threw away a single card, letter, or personal document that she'd accumulated over the years, including some schoolwork from when she went to primary school in the early 30s. It's all tucked away in my parents house now, but if this thread survives to the weekend I'll scan some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Not a Children posted:

My grandmother passed shortly before Thanksgiving, and while cleaning out her house we found boxes and boxes of old memorabilia. She never threw away a single card, letter, or personal document that she'd accumulated over the years, including some schoolwork from when she went to primary school in the early 30s. It's all tucked away in my parents house now, but if this thread survives to the weekend I'll scan some of it.

Please do so! I always think it's interesting to see what kids were learning about in the past.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you think they were really having serious money problems? the stuff you've posted so far sounds ambiguous to me, and sometimes it's people who are decently middle-class or better who obsess over that stuff. like among all my extended family, the people who are most passionate about getting the best deals financially are the ones who are better-off in that regard :lol:

It's hard to say. At the very least, it's surprising that a family of 5 adults has a hard time affording two cars. Different times, I suppose.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Here's the contents of another letter.

Jessie Colquhoren Kennedy posted:

Dear Mrs. Clarke

I know words will do little to alleviate your great sorrow at this time but I do want you to know that my sympathy goes out to you and yours in your sorrow.

You probably do not even know who I am but my mother was Annie Alexander Colquhoren, a cousin of your husbands. If Mrs. Bolton is still in the city she will remember me as she has entertained me at her home in Calgary.

I am in the city taking Summer School Courses and have a room at Mrs. Duquid's 10907 85th Ave. We have been so busy up the at University that I haven't seen the paper even until to-night when I read the account of the funeral.

Mother always spoke so very highly of Mr. Clarke as she knew him in her younger years. Too Uncle Jim (James Alexander, Montreal) always asks about him when I go East as does Aunt Maggie Robinson of Cornwall and Aunt Melissa Alexander of Oakland, California. I have never had much to tell apart from the news I would receive in the papers having only met him once personally.

But no matter who I speak to they always speak of him as the friend of all and especially of the friendless. I am sure there is many a person to-night not known to you, that is mourning the death of a real friend.

He had a full life and a useful one and I am sure there is shining in the heavens to-night a very bright new star.

Again may I extend to you and yours my deepest sympathy as not only a distant relative but as a person that has watched the career of a your husband with interest from a distance and who admired his sterling qualities very much.

Sincerely,

Jessie Colquhorem Kennedy
(Mrs. D.H.)

P.S.

Would you please tell Mrs. Bolton that I have lost her address and am unable to write her a note of sympathy.

J.K.

• Locked thread