Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

MisterBibs posted:

I love the word choices Grandpa Brainchanger uses during the Welcome To Brain Scooping video. The thing that you bring to the table are the physical gifts (as in nothing you actually earned) you have, what we bring to the table is determination (specifically, the drive to earn things). It's a line as racist as it is one of ignorant privilege: if I succeeded it's because of something I did, if you succeeded it was because of luck or something you were born with.

if Grandpa Brainchanger were to describe his story, he worked hard to be an Olympic runner, when some random black dude with abilities he just stumbled into having beat him out.

Can someone please try to explain to me the cult-like talk of being "gods trapped in cocoons"? I get the symbolic idea of putting a perfect mind in a perfect body, but the way the grandfather was saying things like "our order..
our determination... BEHOLD THE COAGULA!" implied to me that there was a big mystic conspiracy. However it's never really brought up again, and the brain transfer is treated as a business transaction, not a religious apotheosis.

Was it all fluffy prose, or am I missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Guess you missed how she eats fruit loops. Girl doesn't have a soul and emotions mean nothing to her, but the message seemed muddled.

I'm curious about this. During the movie the camera stared at the Froot Loops so hard I felt like it was Lassie trying to tell me something important.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-get-out-milk-horror-jordan-peele-allison-williams-20170301-story.html

Peele said in an interview that the Froot Loops were supposed to be emblematic of stunted growth, psychopathy and childishness, but I don't quite get anything else about the character that would have corroborated that. Sure, she's psychopathic, but I don't see what's psychopathic about Froot Loops, and Froot Loops are childish, but I don't see anything otherwise about her behavior that was childish. Seems like this could've been thought out some more.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Basically, their belief is that they are the people who deserve to be running things in perpetuity, and are unfairly burdened by not having the physical traits such a station deserves. So it's better for everyone if they maintain their existence beyond their normal lifespan.

It is a religious/spiritual thing, to them.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious about this. During the movie the camera stared at the Froot Loops so hard I felt like it was Lassie trying to tell me something important.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-get-out-milk-horror-jordan-peele-allison-williams-20170301-story.html

Peele said in an interview that the Froot Loops were supposed to be emblematic of stunted growth, psychopathy and childishness, but I don't quite get anything else about the character that would have corroborated that. Sure, she's psychopathic, but I don't see what's psychopathic about Froot Loops, and Froot Loops are childish, but I don't see anything otherwise about her behavior that was childish. Seems like this could've been thought out some more.

Her life is a literal game of cat and mouse. She gets to find a boy/girl, trick him/her into liking her, take him/her home to her parents, get rewarded for her efforts, repeat. She has a bedroom that is appropriate for a teenager with pictures of every partner she has over the bed. Her only friend is her weird alcoholic gently caress-up brother and her two parents. She sits on her bed googling semi-celebrities she can fantasize about seducing and capturing (Chris is semi-well known in the photography world, she probably googled Binged him as wel). She is, in many ways, a sheltered childish person with psychopathic tendencies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dreddout posted:

Can someone please try to explain to me the cult-like talk of being "gods trapped in cocoons"? I get the symbolic idea of putting a perfect mind in a perfect body, but the way the grandfather was saying things like "our order..
our determination... BEHOLD THE COAGULA!" implied to me that there was a big mystic conspiracy. However it's never really brought up again, and the brain transfer is treated as a business transaction, not a religious apotheosis.

Was it all fluffy prose, or am I missing something here?

Cults and cult-like personalities have a habit of playing up the marketing of cult practices to make them sound more special (or less horrifying) than they really are. So yes it is fluffy prose, but fluffy prose to make horrible people feel better about what they're doing.

Consider this video where John Oliver examines multi-level-marketing scams. A common accusation leveled against MLM companies is that they're "pyramid schemes." An MLM marketer needs to give his followers a peptalk to convince them that they're not a pyramid scheme. "It's the opposite... it's a dymarip!" he tells them. Flowery talk to make stupid poo poo not look like stupid poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI&t=1548s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

Her life is a literal game of cat and mouse. She gets to find a boy/girl, trick him/her into liking her, take him/her home to her parents, get rewarded for her efforts, repeat. She has a bedroom that is appropriate for a teenager with pictures of every partner she has over the bed. Her only friend is her weird alcoholic gently caress-up brother and her two parents. She sits on her bed googling semi-celebrities she can fantasize about seducing and capturing (Chris is semi-well known in the photography world, she probably googled Binged him as wel). She is, in many ways, a sheltered childish person with psychopathic tendencies.

Hmm I kinda see what you're talking about but if that's the case I wish they sold it a little more.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Awesome movie, I just have to say:

Xander B Coolridge posted:

In hindsight this also explains the deer scene and his nightmare about it

My friend pointed out that he saves himself by picking cotton - from the chair .

Hooooly poo poo

I didn't put that together wow :psyboom:

I definitely need to rewatch this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There's a lot to unpack from this movie

My roommate pointed out that empathy towards deer is a pretty good reflection of character in the film. When they first hit the deer, Chris wants to check on the deer but Rose says to just forget about it. The dad has a deer head on his mantle and talks about how he wishes he could just kill them all. He ends up getting killed by... (drumroll)

edit: VVV that's wonderful, that gives a lot of good context to the cotton which I was kinda scratching my head over as well

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 8, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

There's a lot to unpack from this movie

My roommate pointed out that empathy towards deer is a pretty good reflection of character in the film. When they first hit the deer, Chris wants to check on the deer but Rose says to just forget about it. The dad has a deer head on his mantle and talks about how he wishes he could just kill them all. He ends up getting killed by... (drumroll)

He specifically complains against "bucks". A buck is a male deer, and is also a racist term for a black man who is defiant against white people or their white owners. So Chris, a "buck", kills the buck-hating father with a buck's antlers. What's also important is that the deer from the beginning is, as far as I can tell, a doe, without antlers to defend itself. Chris is a passive protagonist (like the doe) until he picks the cotton, almost embracing the stereotype to turn it towards his favor and save his life, thus turning him into an active protagonist, which is exactly when he sees *drumroll* the buck's head on the wall. Deer use their antlers to battle for dominance, which Chris does by impaling the dad with the antlers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

While Fruit Loops do invoke a childishness, it's the way that she's eating them that is the focus. She was brought up in a weird cult entity that groomed her to go out and sexually entrap people in order to lure them back to base so they can have their brain scooped out and one of her family's old rich friends take it over. All the warmth and concern that we saw throughout the film was her act. As soon as she drops the act she becomes cold and emotionless. Chris was one of her favorites, but given how he "almost got away" the implication seems to be more that he put up one of the best fights rather than her being fond of him as a person. Eating a kids cereal is done in a calculated, OCD, type way as she bluntly searches for her next victim. Even the way she puts in and takes out her earbuds seems to be mechanical in nature. The photos on her wall aren't arranged as wistful mementos, they're arranged as trophies, the keepsakes of a serial killer.

She appears to take no actual pleasure in food, music, or even interpersonal interaction. After she confirms her betrayal to Chris, the only emotion that we see again is the smile she gives Chris as he chokes her.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know it's been out for a few weeks now, but spoilers, dude.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if it was mentioned already but I enjoyed the subtext of the martial arts discussion where the brother says that Chris has the superior genetics, but says that martial arts is about the mind and cleverness, and without saying it out loud, suggests that he, being white and smarter, can use martial arts to defeat the dumber stronger black Chris. Instead, Chris outsmarts him.

I was very happy about the casting for that character and his acting, because he totally sold the idea of the Gareth or Dwight Schrute from The Office, a over-testosteroned geek imagining himself to be an expert in martial arts.

(edit: oh, Neo Rasa brings it up in the previous page)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 8, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned already but I enjoyed the subtext of the martial arts discussion where the brother says that Chris has the superior genetics, but says that martial arts is about the mind and cleverness, and without saying it out loud, suggests that he, being white and smarter, can use martial arts to defeat the dumber stronger black Chris. Instead, Chris outsmarts him.

I was very happy about the casting for that character and his acting, because he totally sold the idea of the Gareth or Dwight Schrute from The Office, a over-testosteroned geek imagining himself to be an expert in martial arts.

(edit: oh, Neo Rasa brings it up in the previous page)

I really liked the actor in Anti-Viral if you wanna track down another flick with him in it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I think it's darkly funny. He's so incompetent that the only way for him to help the family business is to dress up in a dumb outfit and drive around looking for black people to choke hold/chloroform and throw in the trunk of his car. His minor successes have inflated his ego into thinking he's a master martial artist, when he's barely even a decent kidnapper.

Speaking of the brother, no one seems to have mentioned that Rose lured Andre into the neighborhood for the cold open. Chris and Rose have dated for almost 7 months. Andre's been missing for 6 months. Wouldn't be hard for Rose to be ending her relationship with Andre and starting her relationship with Chris. It's tight writing that I really enjoy.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I think he was the only casting choice I didn't like. To the point it pulled me out of the movie as kind of a "just shut the gently caress up, I get what he's saying but just shut the gently caress up". Especially with the dinner table scenes, just shut up. A little too out there

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think he was the only casting choice I didn't like. To the point it pulled me out of the movie as kind of a "just shut the gently caress up, I get what he's saying but just shut the gently caress up". Especially with the dinner table scenes, just shut up. A little too out there

:frogout:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I was completely sold on him because I've met a few exactly like that, one guy who did nothing but talk about krag maga all day comes to mind, who would talk about it at church, at dinner parties, when other people would talk about movies and music he was talking about elbowing bad guys in the solar plexus, etc.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Thirsty Girl posted:

That was totally intentional.

I'm totally sure it was. Nothing in this film feels out of place or accidental. I understand it in the way it works as a movie, to highlight just how completely manipulative and predatory she was. I was just slightly bothered that it didn't feel like a "real" person would act that way, sociopath or not. But, you know, horror movie.

Franchescanado posted:

Sociopaths and psychopaths do not emote empathy and sympathy, even for family. This is a girl that laughs at biting off the tongue of a person she is attracted to.

They don't have sympathy but I'm pretty sure they still have emotions like fear and anger and frustration. Her whole world was just destroyed, you think she'd be at least mad about it

Not really a big gripe at all, though. This movie was loving excellent and I hope Peele does more stuff.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MacheteZombie posted:

I really liked the actor in Anti-Viral if you wanna track down another flick with him in it.

He's also really good as the creepy brother in The Last Exorcism, and is nearly unrecognizable as a heroin addict in Heaven Knows What.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Franchescanado posted:

On that front, I didn't catch that she was doing that NCAA search for a potential next victim. When Rod googled up the missing acquaintance ('Dre?), weren't the headlines in regard to him being a Brooklyn hip hop musician? Didn't consider that maybe the victims were targeted for specific traits. Granddad wanted to relive his racing days, maybe they targeted the host for being a college track star or something? The blind artist bid on Chris not just to regain sight, but maybe since Chris had a 'photographer's eye'?
Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

On that front, I didn't catch that she was doing that NCAA search for a potential next victim. When Rod googled up the missing acquaintance ('Dre?), weren't the headlines in regard to him being a Brooklyn hip hop musician? Didn't consider that maybe the victims were targeted for specific traits. Granddad wanted to relive his racing days, maybe they targeted the host for being a college track star or something? The blind artist bid on Chris not just to regain sight, but maybe since Chris had a 'photographer's eye'?
Absolutely. The racism here is that the art dealer is attributing Chris' photography skill to his physical eyes and not to Chris' mental talent. I mean, any normal person realizes that the brain is where all your talent is (at least, creative talents), but maybe the art dealer was just telling himself otherwise out of wishful thinking that the talent would transfer over, or maybe not wanting to think about the loss of a person's soul that would happen with discarding his brain, who knows.

quote:

Overthinking? In Cinema Discusso? :monocle:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 9, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RentACop posted:

Recall the scene with the cop asking for ID

:monocle: HOLY poo poo

Yeah, this is one of those movies that definitely needs a second watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

He's consistently good and I wish he had more roles. Although, I'd like to see him play a real nice dude and not a sleezball. First Class was kinda close, but he was still a little slimy in the beginning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone think that Stephen Root's character was going to be a good guy/help at first? My girlfriend thought he was going to step in help Chris, or that he bought Chris to set him free. I'm glad it didn't go that route.

LadyPictureShow posted:

No, you've nailed it. There's most likely a bid for requests among the rich white people. They want a semi-celebrity at least ("One of the good ones"), but they probably vote on body type, career field, or other suggestions ("We haven't had an athlete in a while"). There's a lot you can infer from the situation.

Having read the original ending, I'm glad they went with what we have. The movie sets up enough commentary and questions for the audience, and already gives them a gut punch with the red and blue lights flashing at the end, letting us know that Chris is hosed. Allowing the best friend to show up and save the day gives the movie an optimistic feel: Yeah, this situation is really lovely, and it's a hard problem that won't just vanish, but it's not inescapable. There's a chance for things to get better. We aren't stuck, we can Get Out. I think that hopeful message does more good than the original downer ending could have.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I was completely sold on him because I've met a few exactly like that, one guy who did nothing but talk about krag maga all day comes to mind, who would talk about it at church, at dinner parties, when other people would talk about movies and music he was talking about elbowing bad guys in the solar plexus, etc.

It definitely wasn't what he said so much as how he said it. Maybe he's walking that line of being so good/annoying as a character that I truly hated him but I just remember I wanted his dinner scenes to end ASAP

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

It definitely wasn't what he said so much as how he said it. Maybe he's walking that line of being so good/annoying as a character that I truly hated him but I just remember I wanted his dinner scenes to end ASAP

Yeah, that's the intention of the scene.

If you've ever had to sit through a dinner with your significant other's weird possibly-unstable and certainly drunk sibling, it is it's own type of horror. If that weirdo sibling thought they were a master of martial arts because they kidnap black people to make their parents happy, I would want that dinner to end very quickly too.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm real glad they decided not to go with the original ending. That would have been hard to take.

Also, Caleb Jones reminds me a little of Ben Foster in 3:10 to Yuma or Alpha Dog. I've not seen much other of his stuff besides Pandorum. But he pulls off the creepy violent guy that is viscerally revolting so well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Plus you got the same effect of the original ending in those few beats before the TSA reveal.

Like man my theater like all muttered fuuuuuck under their breaths when they heard the sirens.

Then a sigh of relief.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Franchescanado posted:

Did anyone think that Stephen Root's character was going to be a good guy/help at first? My girlfriend thought he was going to step in help Chris, or that he bought Chris to set him free. I'm glad it didn't go that route.

No, you've nailed it. There's most likely a bid for requests among the rich white people. They want a semi-celebrity at least ("One of the good ones"), but they probably vote on body type, career field, or other suggestions ("We haven't had an athlete in a while"). There's a lot you can infer from the situation.

I have a minor question about the party scene. I missed the introduction of Logan in Dre's body. Was there any mention of him having a music background? Or young black man with woman twice his age it's just implied he wanted a youthful body and the host's musical ability was irrelevant?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Just imagine how someone feels when they run into that guy in real life, then. Because I've seen it a lot with younger white guys once they feel "comfortable" to various degrees.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
At the very end when The grandpa ends up having a bit of a mental dilemma ( :haw: ) and kills Allison Williams and then himself, I know the the camera flash means it was the victim's mind shining through. And I really liked that the character actually doing the killing wasn't shot in a super dramatic way, but the movie is built up so that it's this super triumphant moment because, like we see through the rest of the film, the family's fetishization of the black body and their own inability to accept defeat by non-white people left them incapable of acknowledging the black mind and black humanity. So we know the grandpa's mind is in there, knowing that not only did a black man beat him and went on to stand up to Hitler, but also watching "his,", now a freed black mind and body because of the ingenuity of a black artist, murder his granddaughter and then himself a few minutes after this other black man that they successfully hypnotized and incapacitated was still able to, because of his wits, completely demolish the entire rest of the family in like five minutes flat. Guess he should have gotten over it instead of "almost" getting over it.

Dexo posted:

Plus you got the same effect of the original ending in those few beats before the TSA reveal.

Like man my theater like all muttered fuuuuuck under their breaths when they heard the sirens.

Then a sigh of relief.

Same in mine the "no fuckin' ways" were palpable. I'm so happy they went with this ending because the movie is so good it deserves to have its cake and eat it too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have a minor question about the party scene. I missed the introduction of Logan in Dre's body. Was there any mention of him having a music background? Or young black man with woman twice his age it's just implied he wanted a youthful body and the host's musical ability was irrelevant?

He may have been, but I don't remember.

I think that the man just wanted to be younger (maybe skinnier), stylish, and "hip", hence his modelling clothes that are arguably nicer and cooler than those worn by the guests around him (ironically his clothes were mostly brown), and his wife wanted a hot young black man to gently caress.

Kidnapping and stealing the body of a black person with some type of talent seems to be the goal, while the actual talent may only appeal to a few. The mentality is that they are somehow "physically superior" in some way, so they are "one of the good ones" instead of a regular or lesser black person. So a hip-hop artist shows a form of recognizable talent, even though the white guy doesn't want to be able to freestyle or have better rhythm.

This also creates incentive for the bidding. Andre may have been captured for being a musician/artist, but he still was put on display so each of the bidders could see the appeal to becoming Andre, which leads to the auction and then procedure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think the family was super specific in their choices, just that of course a victim with a particular talent or eye for something will draw the attention of some bidders more than others who will win. Like our art dealer/critic character mentions how the crowd doesn't appreciate life/etc. - he appreciates Chris' eye for photography way more so of course he'd bid a lot higher and win. Logan just wanted a younger body really bad, etc. Plus doing it in auction form like Franchescandado says and having the parties is the best kind of "marketing" even if only very few people are interested in a specific person's body.

Regarding Rose, I was one of the people that thought that she had been hypnotized too right up until she says "You know I can't give you the keys" because it made be think back to the disagreement she and her parents have about what day the party happens each year early on in the movie. When Chris realizes something is up, the way he acts, my first thought was Oh cool Chris realizes she must be a victim too, especially with for how long she kept re-attempting to get keys that she knows are in her bag.

THAT said, regarding Logan, The missing person article about Andre mentions him being an aspiring jazz musician, a genre all about improvisation while keeping things going with everyone playing around you. After he "recovers" and is apologizing to everyone he cracks everyone up while humble-bragging about his witty and charming he is. I felt like that could be an oblique reference to why he picked Andre, but at the same time, I don't know if it would make sense for them to be interested in any qualities other than the physical.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

He's also really good as the creepy brother in The Last Exorcism, and is nearly unrecognizable as a heroin addict in Heaven Knows What.
Holy poo poo I never put together that he was the dude from antiviral and heaven knows what
He's been great and weird looking in a lot of poo poo I guess. Always thought the dude had some Culkin in him or something

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Neo Rasa posted:

Regarding Rose, I was one of the people that thought that she had been hypnotized too right up until she says "You know I can't give you the keys" because it made be think back to the disagreement she and her parents have about what day the party happens each year early on in the movie. When Chris realizes something is up, the way he acts, my first thought was Oh cool Chris realizes she must be a victim too, especially with for how long she kept re-attempting to get keys that she knows are in her bag.

Yeah, I thought this was a deliberate choice. I thought the early scene with Rose blowing off the cop was a bit heavy-handed SHE'S ONE OF THE GOOD ONES anti-racist bit. Then later, of course she didn't want a state record of Chris being with her when he disappears. But there's enough ambiguity in the script to her motives that even after the pictures there's room to stuff a soft bigotry "pretty white girl can't be evil, gotta be the mother" in there.

Something the "fashionable" white guy said made it sound like the "group" had been doing this for a while, poorly. Like maybe they'd been transplanting brains without the hypnosis part and dealt with side effects until the parents figured out the remaining parts? All the grand talk of a society/group of superiors living longer than natural lives.

The most chilling moment for me was grandpa's suicide. From the scant details of the procedure, there's a lot of brain matter getting scooped out, so the original 'person' isn't ever wholly coming back. When Andre's flashed at the party, he can only muster up two words and Keener's able to stuff him back down relatively quickly. There's that amazing moment of success when Chris is able to distract the grandpa-driver long enough for him to kill Rose, and it's immediately brought back down when the vestiges of the athlete kills his body rather than let the grandpa take back control. Just an amazing rollercoaster.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

The most chilling moment for me was grandpa's suicide. From the scant details of the procedure, there's a lot of brain matter getting scooped out, so the original 'person' isn't ever wholly coming back. When Andre's flashed at the party, he can only muster up two words and Keener's able to stuff him back down relatively quickly. There's that amazing moment of success when Chris is able to distract the grandpa-driver long enough for him to kill Rose, and it's immediately brought back down when the vestiges of the athlete kills his body rather than let the grandpa take back control. Just an amazing rollercoaster.

I knew there was no possible way the real people grandma and grandpa had stolen, hell, effectively murdered could be saved, but it was still so sad seeing that play out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nucleic Acids posted:

I knew there was no possible way the real people grandma and grandpa had stolen, hell, effectively murdered could be saved, but it was still so sad seeing that play out.

Sad? He had no way of salvation but was able to get revenge against the family that wronged him and claim control of his own fate all at once. Tragic fate but empowered with poetic justice.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Saw this last night. Has to be one of the best thrillers I've seen in recent years.

I love how the ending is so cathartic. It's by design. We know that had Chris been discovered by the cops, that would be the end of it and would be closer to reality. While it's a good ending, it's obvious the point is to make people think about how unlikely it is. Still, the audience loved it when Rodney showed up. You could hear the relief in the theater!

I'm really hoping Jordan Peele gets to direct and write more films (which is likely, given the success so far) if he's able to make a debut this well crafted. It reminded me of Edgar Wright's films in how the satire is supported by top-quality filmmaking. Daniel Kaluuya was brilliant. Especially the part with him during the first hypnosis. The way the camera just lingers on his face is absolutely chilling, as is that shot of Georgina. I'm also guessing the shot of Chris being carried away was meant to be a homage to Vampyr.

Multiple viewings are going to be necessary since I know there has to be tons of stuff I didn't pick up the first time. I'd love to know if the line about voting for Obama a third time was meant to be a perverse parallel between him being bi-racial and the fact they're in the business of luring black men to have white brains put into their heads. Even little details like the fruit loops, the deer imagery, and subtle racism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that line is just a standard case of a white liberal trying to relate to a black person/appear not racist. I guarantee most black people in America have heard it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nucleic Acids posted:

I thought it was sad that even though there was no hope for the grandma/grandpa victims, Chris still tries to help grandma after he hits her with the car. Though that could be a mix of still being deeply affected by his mother's death by hit and run as well as pity for the victims. I also thought it was well played that in the final showdown the victims lost their wig/hat and you could see their surgical scars

• Locked thread