Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The idea that Chris is afraid of white people influencing black people into losing their "blackness" is pretty clearly true, even if their method of doing so is presented in a very literal and terrifying sense.

Why is Andre's apparent choice to change his clothing and start dating an old white lady a problem? Consider the black people for a moment and think on if they weren't actually mindfucked. Would their lifestyles be wrong or just too "white" for Chris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I asserted that everything I have written in this thread is both true and accurate. That's a pretty basic statement. I am being truthful. I am not engaged in deceit.

In response to this, you immediately declared me unfriendly. Why do you feel that I am unfriendly?

Your assertion that something is true does not make it the truth.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

If I have written anything inaccurate or false, it should be very easy for you to point it out.

It is not possible for us to judge the accuracy of your stated opinions regarding a movie. They are opinions, not facts. You posting as if they were fact does not change this.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So in this SMG hypnotism-makes-subtext-into-hallucinations world, what does the doctor performing brain surgery while Chris is tied to a chair represent

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

And the unfortunate thing is that this is working on audiences.

The only thing that is unfortunate is your sense of superiority while dismissing the literal text of the film.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

That if the Armitage family saw Get Out, they would be its vocal fans.

Here's the issue: If Get Out were actually about the failure of liberal multiculturalism, the Armitage family would be forcibly transplanting black brains into white bodies - eliminating (the concept of) race while retaining the beautiful black culture.

This doesn't happen in the film because the film is not criticizing liberals. It is criticizing 'fake' liberals, aka conservatives.

It's not saying that they are conservatives, it's saying that they fundamentally cannot understand the black experience because they have entirely different lives even if they do not perceive themselves to be racist.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Sir Kodiak posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by co-opting black culture? I saw this opening night, so I might not be recalling well, but my recollection is that the black bodies/white brains people acted stereotypically white: Logan King walked around in old-white-guy apparel, didn't know how to fist pound, etc. What's the cultural co-opting?

They can't actually do it, that's the joke. "Black is very in right now." -dresses in a straw boater, does a little dance-

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Sir Kodiak posted:

What character in the movie do you believe is interested in making hip-hop about the Dow Jones, or retirement pension funds, or whatever, and what in the movie led you to believe that? Because I don't see it at all.

How about the blind art dealer who wants to see pictures with "soul" or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It's weird as hell that Grandma and Grandpa would decide to be servants for the weekend instead of like, go to a bed and breakfast or something.

Deeply ingrained racism? I mean, what else would black people be doing

• Locked thread