Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Watched this movie earlier today, it was just as great as everybody said it was.

But one thing hit me just now, Stephen Root's character is going to wake up from anesthesia in pain and still totally blind and have no loving idea what happened. And the top of his skull will still be off, hell he might not even realize it unless he put his hand up and felt his brain.

I mean he was in on it so he's just as culpable, still pretty hosed up.

vv Ah okay, probably for the best really.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

This thread makes me feel smart because I guessed that Rose was in on it by the time the barbecue rolled around. It didn't need clues--common sense would suggest that she is, since obviously Chris isn't the family's first victim. In fact I thought it was really weird that Chris was expecting her to give him the keys and leave with him considering the shoebox told him everything he needed to know about her.

That was probably a big case of denial. They'd been going out about six months, I think he wanted to believe that maybe there was some tiny part of the person he fell in love with inside of Rose and that she'd have a conscience and help him escape. That's why he's in tears and screaming by the end, he still kind of doesn't want to believe it but he also wants her to break character and own up to it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The two big things the trailer gave away were Catherine Keener being involved in what was happening and the fact that hypnosis was involved somehow.

Having seen the trailer, I could immediately tell that the parents were in on it, since the mom was a hypnotherapist and the dad was a neurosurgeon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

What I find interesting is when Andre is brought back to consciousness with the phone camera flash, he doesn't try to escape, he warns Chris to get out. The only reason I can think of him doing that is his consciousness would only maintain control for a short period of time before the new consciousness takes over again.

It kind of seemed like how it worked was that a camera flash wakes up the small part of their brain that's still them, and Missy's spoon puts them back in the dark place. When Andre wakes up, I seem to remember them dragging him away and then he re-emerges in the house later trapped back inside his subconscious with the passenger brain taken over. So I kind of assumed that once someone is "woke" it could be permanent if something isn't done about it.

Seems like a huge issue with the procedure if it can just be switched off and on like that.

e: corrected a name before someone else did

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 10, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That would've been more plausible had Georgina (I can't remember if Walter was) not been among the photos.

This. When Chris was first going through the photos, my first thought was "she's just had a bunch of black boyfriends that she didn't tell Chris about", and I assumed then that Rose was at best a little bit racist and objectified black men. And then you get to Walter and Georgina at the end and that's when it became clear.

Chris asking Rose for the keys could've either been him still in denial, both at the situation he's in and that someone he fell in love with was a totally different person, or an attempt to defuse the situation by pretending he doesn't know she's in on it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Grandpa Brainchanger was just enjoying being able to run super fast like he used to.

Yeah it's basically the novelty of being inside of a body that's not your own and having youthful energy and looks. It's why Georgina just stands and stares in the mirror while combing her hair.

That and of course the objectification and fetishization of "blackness".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

But didn't cast her in any films. She got more modeling work out of that than film work.

She got cast as this thing

...so I guess you could argue "well, at least she didn't get cast just for her looks"?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm still of the opinion that Chris isn't afraid of wanting to be white, or afraid of being turned white. Nor does he "want to be white", all of those anxieties are Rod's. Rod thinks he's losing his friend to to a white girl who's going to turn him white, which is foreshadowing the very literal scenario in which Chris is actually going to be turned into a white person through brain surgery.

All of that can also be allegorical, or metaphorical, but that doesn't mean it isn't also happening diagetically in the movie itself. And Nightmare at 20000 Feet, sorry to tell you this, involves a literal gremlin who literally bites through the engine of a plane. The episode ends with an inspection of the plane where they find claw and scratch marks. There is an ambiguity until the twist reveal, the ambiguity is there to reflect the mental state of the air travel phobic passenger. The ambiguity of the neighborhood's intentions towards Chris reflect Chris's fears of being an outsider among a group of white people, it just turns out that he has something to literally be afraid of (being having his brain replaced with a white person's).

You can do the impossible in fantasy and horror films. Just because they reflect our fears and dreams doesn't make the scenarios in them "not real" in the context of the film universe itself. Saying that a fantastical situation in a fantasy or horror or sci-fi movie is "in a character's head" is the laziest, base-level reading you can make and doesn't really add anything to the understanding of the work. You're just saying "this is an allegory for this, but also because it's an allegory that means it's not even real".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

SMG: The white people were the real victims in Get Out!

Yeah wait, what? SMG apparently thinks it's okay for black people to get their brains pulled out as long as they're replaced with the well-meaning brains of white people that want to help them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's that the movie is, per the exploitation tagline, "only a movie,"

But you can apply that to literally every movie, even to documentaries because no matter how hard a doc tries to be totally impartial it's always a reconstructed reality.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I fail to see the "but" side to this. Without that qualification, what you have written above is a truthful and accurate statement.

The "but" is that it doesn't need to be used to create some kind of theory for what Get Out is really "about". It's not a statement that's unique to Get Out, it goes without saying because it applies universally to every single movie.

It's lazy critique disguised as something profound, that's why the "but".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

K. Waste posted:

truthful and accurate

I'm getting a little tired of all these SMG puppet accounts.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I thought the first stage of CD was a sane and rational discussion of the motifs and themes of the movie where everybody who loved the film can come and discuss it. The second stage is where SMG comes into the thread and completely derails it and makes it about him, then everybody either gets bored or keeps arguing with a brick wall.

The movie is practically out of theaters now and there's nothing really left to discuss :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've always wondered about Keanu, it didn't really seem to make a splash. Will people be talking about it 15 years from now like Super Troopers or something?

Eh, it was a really solid movie but it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. I think its main problem was that it wasn't really promoted well. I mean they had that viral marketing thing with the cute cat photoshopped into a bunch of different posters, but that told people gently caress-all about the movie.

I just hope it doesn't discourage Key and Peele from making more movies together in the future.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Qualia posted:

holy poo poo

I skimmed over that slam because I have SMG on ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

weekly font posted:

Get Out is a retelling of Fight Club except Chris is Edward Norton with his lovely IKEA apartment and almost getting whitewashed is meeting Tyler Durden.

Well no, Gus is his Tyler Durden and Rose is Marla Singer.

• Locked thread