Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Just saw this today and it's loving awesome. There are so many amazing little moments and every performance is great. The maid/grandma, Georgina was amazingly creepy.

Coolest detail about her is how she constantly starts to run her hand through her hair but stops.

This movie's definitely making money around here, the showing I went to was sold out which is crazy for a late afternoon on a Monday at the theater I go to.

I love how a lot of the characters are speaking in an old timey way, and you think throughout that hey, they were obviously hypnotized just like we saw in the trailer and brainwashed into speaking "properly." But then the last third of the movie happens. I'm glad I didn't know any of that stuff ahead of time, after seeing it the trailer does a great job of making you think you've figured out the movie very early on but it still has some cool twists to it.

Marketing New Brain posted:

certain characters, namely the brother, felt like a white supremacist, while others were closer to suburban liberals, I would have liked to have delved a bit more into that

The brother is like a well-studied textbook perfect rendition of someone who grew up in that family situation. The best part was when he started talking about the extreme strategy and chess-like attributes of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and how it's amazing because it would allow a mind capable of strategy to overcome a much larger opponent I've literally met dozens of hyper racist rich kids that say the exact same poo poo to imply inherent superiority over non-white people when I lived in the suburbs and they all had suburban liberal parents. The lack of introspection regarding their/their parents' views combined with reading about any martial arts stuff makes it easy. Like remember the Rex Kwan Do guy in Napoleon Dynamite? There's a racist white dude running a place like that every ten miles in the suburbs of New Jersey. I even had more than one friend in high school that went from average to full out white supremacist and in both cases their folks probably would say they'd have voted for Obama a third time if that were possible. The brother got very little screen time but really hit close to home for me.

I kind of understand why they didn't delve into it more though, I mean this movie is so successfully tense throughout, but like with Georgina they do a great job with some awkward long closeups of his face as he's going on and it sells that he's nuts pretty easily.

Darko posted:

Also, seeing it with a packed (black) audience was hilarious, as there were a ton of "that's why you don't date white people comments." I had taken a (white) ex to see it with me, and she stated that made her feel uncomfortable a few times. I told her, "welcome to my entire life" (which is a point the movie touched upon a lot).

The part where Chris' girlfriend is shocked that her family is acting so differently and Chris just response to every example she gives with a deadpan mmhmmm our entire theater busted a gut laughing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People are saying this stuff now that they've seen the movie but literally the only thing the trailer "gives away" is that this woman uses hypnosis to make black people her servants which ends up not even being close to the full extent of what's going on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

At the very end when The grandpa ends up having a bit of a mental dilemma ( :haw: ) and kills Allison Williams and then himself, I know the the camera flash means it was the victim's mind shining through. And I really liked that the character actually doing the killing wasn't shot in a super dramatic way, but the movie is built up so that it's this super triumphant moment because, like we see through the rest of the film, the family's fetishization of the black body and their own inability to accept defeat by non-white people left them incapable of acknowledging the black mind and black humanity. So we know the grandpa's mind is in there, knowing that not only did a black man beat him and went on to stand up to Hitler, but also watching "his,", now a freed black mind and body because of the ingenuity of a black artist, murder his granddaughter and then himself a few minutes after this other black man that they successfully hypnotized and incapacitated was still able to, because of his wits, completely demolish the entire rest of the family in like five minutes flat. Guess he should have gotten over it instead of "almost" getting over it.

Dexo posted:

Plus you got the same effect of the original ending in those few beats before the TSA reveal.

Like man my theater like all muttered fuuuuuck under their breaths when they heard the sirens.

Then a sigh of relief.

Same in mine the "no fuckin' ways" were palpable. I'm so happy they went with this ending because the movie is so good it deserves to have its cake and eat it too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't think the family was super specific in their choices, just that of course a victim with a particular talent or eye for something will draw the attention of some bidders more than others who will win. Like our art dealer/critic character mentions how the crowd doesn't appreciate life/etc. - he appreciates Chris' eye for photography way more so of course he'd bid a lot higher and win. Logan just wanted a younger body really bad, etc. Plus doing it in auction form like Franchescandado says and having the parties is the best kind of "marketing" even if only very few people are interested in a specific person's body.

Regarding Rose, I was one of the people that thought that she had been hypnotized too right up until she says "You know I can't give you the keys" because it made be think back to the disagreement she and her parents have about what day the party happens each year early on in the movie. When Chris realizes something is up, the way he acts, my first thought was Oh cool Chris realizes she must be a victim too, especially with for how long she kept re-attempting to get keys that she knows are in her bag.

THAT said, regarding Logan, The missing person article about Andre mentions him being an aspiring jazz musician, a genre all about improvisation while keeping things going with everyone playing around you. After he "recovers" and is apologizing to everyone he cracks everyone up while humble-bragging about his witty and charming he is. I felt like that could be an oblique reference to why he picked Andre, but at the same time, I don't know if it would make sense for them to be interested in any qualities other than the physical.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't think it's a stretch at all honestly, even if the movie focuses more on objectification of the body on the surface.

EDIT: Beaten but-

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, the mindset is exactly what I see in the "I'm not racist, but..." crowd.

They swear up and down they're not racist, but don't want to live in the same neighborhood, have them date their daughters, or just focus on physical/talent attributes instead of as another human being.

You don't have to hate to be racist.

What Egbert Souse says here is 100% fact.

None of the white people in the movie wake up in the morning and think "Dang, I sure do hate black people!" In their minds they think black people are so cool they want to be them, just without the baggage. "Everybody wants to be black, but nobody wants to be black." The dad would vote for Obama a BILLION times, he loves Obama because Obama existing as president means he can fool himself into thinking racism doesn't exist and there's the added benefit that there is literally no chance he would ever meet Obama in person or have to know him in any way other than what's presented in the mainstream media.

The film's setting isn't literally rich white people rapidly gentrifying and exiling minorities from a neighborhood, which is how this concept is often brought up in conversation today, but it's the same mindset. The grandfather loves the black body so much he literally had a young black man murdered and took his body over...but the concept of Chris dating his granddaughter? He wasn't too happy about that. If you want to look at it in terms of gentrification, you know how often a white person will be suspicious of a dark skinned person in their building because they're so afraid of talking to anyone not white they don't realize the person has literally lived in the building for like twenty years and is their neighbor? It happens too often because of the same mindset you see on display in Get Out.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 10, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Oh come on. They know what they're doing is evil poo poo. They know what they're doing isn't for the benefit of black people. When the mom sends Chris to the sunken place, she knows he's going to hate being stuck there. It's why they have to trick the black people, why they have to use hypnosis, handcuffs and locked doors to remove all the black people's brains.

Several people have made this same claim and c'mon guys you have to have to willingly ignore a large part of the movie to think the white people think they're doing the blacks a favor.

What's happening can easily be seen as the end result of the misguided liberal mindset. Obviously the family in the movie is evil as hell and is aware that what they're doing is illegal, but none of them woke up in the morning and magically had that entire plan in mind. I don't think there's anything wrong with that interpretation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually the other way around. The movie is not about about the real-world threat of body-snatching surgery cults. Chris' girlfriend 'merely' has a fetish, but he processes this as her being part of an international conspiracy.

The film literalizes Chris' irrational fantasies about 'becoming white' - that getting a better career, marrying into wealth (and so-on) will compromise his 'essential blackness' and turn him into just another white dude. Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important.

The truth is that Chris retreats into conspiracy theory as an alternative to class consciousness. The entire ending of the film is this blue pill/red pill false dichotomy between remaining subordinate to 'the man' (the police car) or perceiving the world as a reptilian vampire conspiracy (the nutty friend's car). Shouldn't the response to his friend's "I told you so!" be that, no, he got it wrong? The women were not hypnotizing men into having depraved sex orgies. What if we choose neither car? What happened to Andre?

The unfortunate thing, in most responses to the film, is that the Chris character is understood in this apolitical, apsychological way. He's just 'the good guy' passively reacting to what's in front of him, even at the end. He's not understood as fighting for anything, even though he inherently is.

To the point: the film does not satirize liberalism. It straightforwardly dramatizes a conflict within liberalism, between 'hip' Obama supporters and 'lame' Obama supporters (aka Hillary supporters). Meanwhile, the working class - i.e. grandma and grandpa - are lying dead at the side of the road.

Haha good one, now let us know what you think after seeing the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Yeeeah I've been trying to untangle that one and keep coming back to the notion that guy is confusing :getout: with Jennifer Anniston's The Good Girl.

When you realize SMG/his posts tend to be pretty racist in and of themselves it makes more sense. People are mistaken about racism existing because the real problem is social class is a running theme across his posts. SMG would have voted for Obama a third time.

More on topic to the movie, I notice people mention often how Chris doesn't take much action throughout the movie until the end, and that he "doesn't even" finish off Rose. When he chooses not to kill her himself, I think people are missing out on that it's not that he can't bring himself to kill her, it's that he's choosing to kill her in the exact same way he, as it the event unfolds, up to that point thought that he "chose" to kill his mom. This was a very personal and difficult memory for him, one that, going by the movie, he's only ever really shared with Rose and even then only a ways into the film. When he tells that story part of why I thought he took that blame on himself was that he didn't want to accept that, obviously, other people drove by, she wasn't in the middle of nowhere, but no one thought she was worth helping. Rose is remembering this when she tries to bullshit him at the end with the sudden burst of I love yous, she thinks he'll save her as a chance to "redeem" himself. This to me is why the ending with Rod showing up is so powerful. She dies abandoned on the road bleeding out, he gives her a death plenty of people have suffered that very specifically only happens when some people witness it and deliberately think someone isn't worth saving and ride on.

I think that also dovetails really well with how his entire realization that something is seriously wrong and he needs to leave ASAP happens when he recognizes and tries to work with Andre and take the picture of him even though Andre is a black man from Brooklyn who went missing six months ago. And growing up here I've seen that absolute disparity in the spread of missing person posters, how much authorities actually care, etc. depending on the ethnicity of a missing person.

Andre is a textbook example of someone white people wouldn't even notice is gone, but they underestimate not only Chris' mind but his empathy. Rose sees everything about Chris as potential material, she doesn't realize how strong the circumstances of his mom's death forced him to be until the final shot of her bleeding out in the middle of nowhere, guaranteed to not be found until she's dead.

So while Chris of course takes violent and immediate action to take out the family for what they were doing to him and what they did to the other victims, the way he dealt with Rose was particularly powerful to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting that this makes me think you did not see the movie.

I understand what he's trying to get at but I didn't really see this at all in how the grandparents behave. They only really act like servants when the family is trying to be "normal" around Chris (which is most of the movie of course), but I feel like we see enough of them otherwise and learn enough about how the surgery works that I got the impression this isn't how they or the family would act when they aren't luring a new a new victim in.

You could say being reduced to a live-in chef and maid is why the grandma and not the victim whose body she took is crying, but to me saying that also says that the original victim's mind is 100% gone when we know from how the process works that this isn't the case. Otherwise the situation with Andre, the grandpa at the end, etc. would have probably played out very differently.

I didn't see Chris' conversation with Stephen Root's character as him having an irrational breakdown about selling out either. He's relieved at first because he thinks he's found someone he can have an actual conversation, almost genuinely enthusiastic that he has someone else in the arts to talk with. This part of that post in particular: "Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important." I didn't get this at all from the character.

Rod is a TSA employee, his job in theory is extremely important, but in reality we see studies about how the TSA is all smoke and mirrors, and we see how Rod, being a "mere" TSA employee, isn't taken seriously by the NYPD despite spelling out a very serious conspiracy he thinks is going on not just because his friend is missing but because of what he's learned from him, he has actual information and dots connected beyond just "people are acting weird." I got more of a classist vibe out of that than from anything else in the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fortunately even the most ignorant jury pool will be aware that a teacup can be considered a deadly weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RdEtQL9EQ

• Locked thread