Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"add tactical realism to the Holocaust"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Of course, white people are extremely goofy, this could just as easily be a film about getting tricked into going to a Christian pizza party.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The mean joke is that it works.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Haha I mean, essentially, yeah. You can apply it to any situation of conformity.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Get Out 2 will just be him going to prison and sitting in solitary confinement in real time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, Get Out 2 will be him going through the nightmare of trying to get his new Don'tCare insurance to pay for counseling and anti-anxiety meds.

You're right, that's much scarier.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like that this is literally a Mondo Voodoo movie, if the races (and potentially sexes) were flipped you'd have a great trashy 60s freak-out movie about a white kid joining a beatnik black commune. It's too bad it's not a more idiosyncratic movie on the whole, it's got John Waters all over it (Chris is Penny Pingleton and even has the same oral fixation). Of course, part of the joke is that it's an "acceptable" movie and looks like every bland Edward Sharpe-scored romcom for boring white teenagers - flat, warm, and unobtrusive. The 2.35 frame was awkward and ugly, though.

The 2001 reference was cute. Alien presence thrusts its concept of evolution and "betterment" on the unknowing savages.

Dig that ironic 30s song, and Chris's Starbucks apartment.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Why is it that whenever people disagree with SMG's reading of a movie, the immediate claim is that nobody before then bothered to interpret the movie? That's usually not the case, and it's definitely not the case here.

I don't think people would have such a strong reaction to his interpretations if he didn't present them as the correct ones and if he didn't present his interpretations of metaphors in a weird way. Like one thing he's saying (I think) is that the conspiracy is an externalization of Chris's internal fears. That's not mutually exclusive from the conspiracy actually happening in the plot, because none of it "actually" happened, but he describes metaphors like plot summaries. Then when people don't get it, they get jumped on for just not bothering to think about the media they consume, when a lot of times it's like no dude, you communicated your point bad.

SMG's "thing" is presenting his opinion as fact and being extremely standoffish (K Waste as well, but not as intense and with more bro phrases).

edit: i like how the ending credits are prefaced by the title, so the movie literally tells you to get out

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

But didn't cast her in any films. She got more modeling work out of that than film work.

Which basically says "We'll look at you, but we won't listen to you".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There was some laughing going on so I might've misheard it but the douchebag brother says "fam" when he's first introduced, right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yea I deffo cackled @ that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The proper solution in Nightmare at 20,000 feet is to somehow bring the gremlin into the plane.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The gremlin exists in the diegesis of the episode, but it also represents the actualization of itself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Again, there is a concerted effort to render Chris apsychological and apolitical. People believe Chris does not have fantasies. It's frankly a bizarre objectification.

I don't know how anyone could think that after seeing his goofy millennial yuppie fuckboy apartment.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Bug is really more of a Tracy Letts thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"fear of a mulatto planet"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The real villain is multiculturalism, which only seeks to take the best of any culture and leave behind the impurities.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Well, yeah, that's the joke. It's like how we all use white grammar when posting here. The "ideal" grammar on the forum is "pure" in the most menacing form.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If this were Mulholland Drive, the last thirty minutes would be Chris having a panic attack at the party and lashing out - all that's missing is a literal burning bridge.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Isnt Hundu black?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The mechanized conspiracy is just a literalization of the idea that those in power are consciously out to get those who aren't, which is not usually true. Most of the time, these people are just hapless dinks who think they're being super nice but don't realize they're selectively cannibalizing other cultures.

Critical Race Theory would say that there are particular ways black people (and black men specifically) are commodified. What critical race theory would not say is that commodification is exclusive to "white brains" and "black bodies", because that's essentializing. That's Yakubian wokeness. That's Red Pill Philosophy.

e.g., the poet literally wants Chris's eyes because he thinks his photos, which he literally hasn't seen, have "soul".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

RCarr posted:

I think he just doesn't want to be blind anymore.

I'm pretty sure he actually says "soul", which is the "magic spice" white people assume black people bring to art.

His conclusions are motivated by belief and nothing more. Despite the fact that the program "works", he could've just gotten an eye donor. Armitage's program is ideological with a very thin scientific premise. Otherwise, why the direct reference to Videodrome?

It's flavor of the month appropriation.

ruddiger posted:

It's a magic/ghost story ala the Twilight Zone. Peele already pointed out that the ending of the movie is a fantasy because the way it was originally written was too dour because it reflected the real world too much.

Well, then it just would've been a remake of Evening Primrose.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is there anything more woke than terrorism? bin laden is bae, fam

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's much more deeply hosed up that the only way to become a successful person is to become white (which is pretty literally true) than it is to become white - becoming white is just a symptom of a more troubling illness.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

DeimosRising posted:

Peele also already wrote another movie that's extremely concerned with how middle class African Americans relate to "authentic" ghetto Blackness. It's played for laughs but there's a lot of tension in Key and Peele's scenes arguing about whether they ever say "nigga" or listen to the "right" music.

And that kind of stuff comes from things like microaggressions and cultural assumptions - if you're too far off the mark from "normal" people will treat you differently. Get Out is just the maximal version of that experience, and I see it all the time in the gay community. If you're too wispy or femme or whatever in a public setting or around people who have power over you, you'll be treated like scum, so people put on a closeted face because acting like that actively devalues you, even among people who are really nice and well-meaning. There's a million examples, and the way "normies" act in lockstep absolutely feels borderline conspiratorial. It's the same with women with ambiguously gendered names being treated differently over email vs the phone, or the things thin people say to fat people when they think they're being helpful, or the massive difference in the way a "passing" trans person is treated vs someone who successfully blends in, and these are all symptoms of a sick culture.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
SMG's always been kind of bad at discussion, his posts are distant, declamatory billboards.

RCarr posted:

When he is talking to him through the TV right before the procedure he literally says "I want your eyes, man."

Because his eyes have "soul", that black MSG, which he deduced from a photograph he's never seen. It's like a white band hiring a black guy and saying "yeah, we really just want your soulful sound" - it's just another gag but it ties in nicely.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ruddiger posted:

I work on a television show about trans teens and it blows my mind how ultra-macho people start talking when they're in my edit bay while I'm working on it. People get easily riled when something unfamiliar threatens what they view as "normalcy" and we as Americans are indoctrinated with that mindset at such a young age, it's hard to break out of that cycle when you're older, even if you're a progressive and "should know better".

Ask anyone in a visibly distinguishable underclass and they'll have a story like that, usually with similar signifiers, which really underlines the "pod people" feel.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He's definitely got a torrent of Funny Games on his laptop.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

BUT HE DOESN'T ENJOY IT FOR THE ADVANCED REASONS THAT I DO

Funny Games is best enjoyed as a piece of extremely good sadism.

edit

K. Waste posted:

Kid imagines that he's Paul, but really he's Peter.

lol

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The events in the film are literal and also representative, this is how satire works.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

yeah sorry, it's been a long day and my brain is fried.

No, it's just funny because a lot of the circles being talked in this thread are around something that's pretty basic to satirical films, and it feels like there's this panic over the phraseology of something so simple.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The green light is both a functional deterrent of boats and a dream symbol representing Daisy's maddening out-of-reachness, as well as the overall extremely visible inaccessibility of the upper realms of American society to American citizens.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A metaphor is just a meme for people with elbow patches.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Speaking of, you have to give Bradley Whitford a huge shoutout for being perfectly tweedy. What an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah that was a great turn. I also love how they dressed Logan up as an old person, complete with boater hat (the most racist hat). Big props to the costume department on this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

falz posted:

Still curious why that closet door was open.

Because anyone who wasn't deluding themselves would look inside immediately.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
hahaha this is the best thread

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He's concise but he's also amazingly unfriendly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Zizekian criticism is merely the symptom of a larger social illness, but that won't stop me from scooping your brain out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's an extremely unthreatening movie that white liberals are going to self-congratulatedly pat themselves on the back for appreciating.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't remember who said it (probably Lee himself) but I like the quote that's like "why are white audiences always more upset about the loss of property than the loss of life?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Unoriginal Name posted:

How about the blind art dealer who wants to see pictures with "soul" or whatever

That was the bit that stood out to me most, which goes with the air of "selling out" his blackness (see again, his Starbucksy apartment).

• Locked thread