Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, that's why I laughed when he said "I want your eyes", as if there's something inherent about his African Eyeballs that's more receptive the concept of "soul" (and they're Activated Eyeballs, too - he could've taken any black guy's eyes but this one's learned a trick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Artists who're non-normative tend to have their work viewed through the lens of their most notable aberration (black, disabled, gay, etc), and it's literally a blind guy telling him "your work has soul". His apartment is basically just missing a barista, it's gentrification in architectural form. It could just be a cheap movie location but it's the picture of ladder-climbing, non-threatening conformity.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not 'eyes' - eye. Root doesn't want mere eye surgery. Blindness hasn't really held him back in life, you may have noticed. He wants the soul itself - literally, to have a little black guy (trapped as a disembodied gaze) inside him.

I understand that, my statement is from his misguided point of view. I can't remember if he said "eye" or "eyes" on the videodronicator but the point is the same either way.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If only he'd given her a Pepsi.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Nothing is real.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's basically a mix of Stalker and Solaris.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Much like life, all films are a fantasy, it's your experience and interpretation of the fantasy that's real.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
*carnival music*

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This is CD, you don't have to see a movie to debate it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
He writes like a prick but that's subjective.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I am the ultimate killing machine.

I have also been writing about the film: the psychologies of every character, homoerotic subtext, the distinction between nightmare and fantasy (why the film is comforting rather than frightening), its context in genre cinema, its sociopolitical context, etc.

You wrote that the jump-scare in one scene is too loud.

Then you wrote this weird, lengthy post about SMG (who - it bear repeating - does not actually exist).

You're an rear end in a top hat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The opposite interpretation is also correct.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Extended SNL Skit Produces Limited Discussion

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Starbucks apartment!

thank you

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It should be the ending to Thriller, with Chris comforting Rose, suggesting they go get something to eat, then turning around to reveal reptiloid eyes.

And the end credits slam up over ironic Jewish klezmer music.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also, wait til they see Tales from the Hood. There was some article making its rounds a few months ago about Get Out that was praising the "recent trend" of, get this, what the author called "allegorical horror films (re: It Follows, Get Out, the Babadook)."

"Wokeness" is a symptom of a larger disease.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I remember seeing a photo of a pregnant black woman's stomach and I think a picture of a black kid in front of an apartment building - pictures a white gallery owner would probably say demonstrated an amazing sense of "soul".

The neo-soul montage of his artwork at the beginning expresses this, but the joke is the pullback to his apartment and it just looks like he could've bought it from Pier 1 Imports.

That was the high point of the movie for me. You can extrapolate everything from those lovely metal stools he has at his fake-industrial breakfast counter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

To take that totally seriously is making an argument that the script isn't that witty. Like, are you supposed to take that totally seriously and think "oh he's like Gordon Parks!" If it happened in something like Art School Confidential, you would recognize that kind of thing as poking fun at a cliche.

There are so many movies that have self-serious "arty" characters that are just sort of middlebrow and banal. It's a wrinkle of Chris' character that I like, he feels more like a person I've met before (or recognize myself in) rather than just a stand in for a black man. That's why the NCAA thing later in the movie works. It's not that "any black man will do", she's not just looking for "Blackmon", as she jokingly calls him. She's trying again with a different type, just cutting to the chase and picking someone she think won't mind or question anything. She's deciding that humoring Chris really wasn't worth it anyway, and in that even more familiar reactionary liberal way, that stereotypes probably exist for a reason.

That's more like the kind of thing Key and Peele are good at, not just the surface level stuff but nasty little jabs at liberals. The "would've voted for Obama a third time!" thing is an eye roller, a rib tickler, but the fear deep down that this white woman is just trying you on because she can is a lot darker.

Yeah, he's absolutely middlebrow - inoffensive, really.

and then you cut to:

I mean, lmao at the dove flying between two tenement buildings or whatever. And then you cut to her looking at the donuts:

The fact that Chris is a bland photographer works on a handful of levels and I really like all of them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Like I'm 100% certain all of that imagery has been in a Hype Williams video at some point, each on the screen for less than half a second. The idea that you're supposed to take 'Chris is a really serious artist' from it is kinda funny.

I'd like to think it's part of the joke, and that it underlines that he's self-consciously producing his art from a black perspective for a white audience, rather than as an act of pure unconscious instinct, which would tie in to the anxieties that are explored in the rest of the movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No way, that apartment is some cookie-cutter bullshit, there's so much of it here in Seattle and it has everything to do with gentrification ("reclaimed industrial spaces").

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It looks like an airbnb that's described as "urban".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's not an essential expression of his blackness because he's white gazing himself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Chris is like an electron that's observing itself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Replace versus with "and".

i am the bird posted:

Whenever I picture myself, I think of an amorphous array of colors and numbers. I would literally never think of my body. That's crazy.

One of the main concepts the film works with is the question of how to act purely as oneself, without giving ourselves an agenda or trying to sell ourselves in some way. The answer is we usually don't (there are always external influences) but Chris perceives this as a literal conspiracy, rather than just a function of our psychological need to be accepted.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

(In any case, I'd question how people are reconciling 'generic normal apartment' with the large photos of pregnant black women adorning the walls, etc. Is everyone familiar with Belly?)

They're presumably his own photos, which means he's living in his own gallery show (it could be misdirection but it would also be fitting).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So what is the proper and healthy Marxist approach to interior design

Keep rearranging your furniture until you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Maxwell Lord posted:

All that does is tell me what NOT to do. I have to put the couch somewhere eventually.

The couch is always somewhere, it's your relation to it that matters.

• Locked thread