Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This was pretty good but I thought it was a lot stronger before the supernatural angle gets introduced. I get what he was going for but the strained and awkward conversations up top were a lot more interesting and unnerving than the actual horror stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

Yeah, this basically. (Freezing people with mind powers seems like it falls pretty comfortably under "supernatural" but you can argue the semantics.) The commentary is interesting but it's a lot less effective as a horror movie in the back half. I think part of the issue is the cross-cutting with Lil Rel Howery's bit – it's funny and I wouldn't want to axe it completely, but it kills a lot of the tension the first 45 minutes has.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I still want to see the ghost deer scene from the trailer

I watched it to see what you were talking about, and it's a cool-looking shot — but holy poo poo does the trailer basically condense the entire movie into two minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

• Locked thread