Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Anyone else thought of Ben Carson by the end of the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
A possible reading of Chris still acting like Rose is okay after seeing the photo album could be that had he just immediately revealed that he knew she was complicit, it would have Rose drop the innocent act earlier, when Chris still needed her help to get out, since he can't drive.

But the idea of Chris still giving the white woman the benefit of the doubt is a thematically better interpretation.

I'm an Asian man who generally tries to consider myself progressive and somewhat woke despite my own flaws (and Asian America's complicity in white supremacy), and I have a rather complicated relationship with white women. Like, I find myself frequently resenting liberal white women, and I often struggle with how much of it is justified and how much of it is just cryptic misogyny. Like, I'm not a huge fan of the traditional list of (white) feminist icons like Tina Fey or Lena Dunham, so I'm often overly eager in embracing intersectionist critiques of them; and I'm not sure how much of it is done in good faith.

Anyway, getting back to the reveal, I might have read spoilers telling me Rose was in on it, but I probably would have immediately indict Rose was in on it anyway. With the casting of Allison Williams (a star of Lena Dunham's "Girls" and the daughter of a pathological liar), it just made too much sense for her to be in on the deception. It probably didn't actually influence the casting choice, but yeah.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's another thing to mull over - I know it's been discussed, but it'd be interesting if it'd been implied that the Chinese guy was a former 'transplant' that the buyer simply had kept for a long-ish time.
I thought it was possible maybe he was a transplant when white people were obsessed with the model minority and Tiger Mom horseshit.

But I think the intended (and better) reading is that Asians and Asian Americans are often complicit with white supremacy and colonialism.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want to put white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters in a room, ask them which group is more woke, and then back out and lock the door when they start arguing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm just wondering, are there any white liberals who make no pretense of "getting" this movie? Or they actually do get it, but are mad that the movie is specifically indicting them? Because, I honestly want to hate read that review.

Queering Wheel posted:

My theater enjoyed it and there was a lot of laughter. I did notice that some people left and never came back though, and I overheard someone saying "glad we wasted our money on this poo poo" after it was over. Gotta love butthurt white people in a deep red state.
I haven't been following the white conservative reaction to this movie too closely, figuring they'd mostly avoid it in the first place, but if they're put off by the unsympathetic portrayal of white liberals, it's another sign that the "divide" between liberal and conservative whites is quite superficial and often arbitrary. Conservatives are not only invested in tribalism, but the idea that white men are still dominating "the other tribe", even if they're the white men who'd vote for Obama for a third term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

hahaha this is the best thread
This thread sucks.

• Locked thread