Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HellCopter posted:

Having the plot hinge on something impossible makes the movie a little less...relateable? I'm scared of weird tightly-knit cult communities but I'm not afraid of getting my brain stolen.

Though it obviously works better for what the movie was trying to say.

It's a metaphor taken to its extreme for the appropriation of blackness and culture, while removing actual black people and their agency and history.

"Everybody wanna be a nigga, but nobody wanna be a nigga" -Paul Mooney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you have reasoning skills the title of this article contains a spoiler

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/movies/a8990932/get-out-perfectly-captures-the-terrifying-truth-about-white-women/

But yeah...

This article brought up something I didn't even loving think of and is making me think about my own thought processes as a black man. My reactions were the exact same as the author of that article. The entire movie I was pretty sure Rose was well meaning. Even when she was clearly emotionally manipulating him at the lake I wrote it off. Even after Chris finds the pictures of her with the other Black people who were abducted my mind instantly went to oh well she has to have been being manipulated right. It literally wasn't until she said "you know I can't give you the keys" that I finally accepted she was a willing participant.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

This is interesting to read because for me the shoe box of pics felt like Peele over played his hand revealing she was in on it prior to the actual reveal.

Yeah. It probably says more about me, that my mind instantly made excuses for her. I thought she was being mindwiped. I thought Peele was doing the most with the horror movie trope of "oh no the girl can't find the keys to get out of the bad situation, expected her to trip and fall while running towards to car or something right after". Then it just loving hit me and I felt like an idiot. I felt like I went through the same emotions that Chris went through that moment when he saw the jig.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know, I just realized that in the aftermath of Chris' 'getting away,' he's still not completely free and clear - when the house fire is investigated and Rose is found dead on the road, their pictures will circulate via the media and that highway cop might remember the woman who gave him grief and bring up his dashcam footage.

They will be fine. The Grandfather in the black dude's body will likely be blamed for it("Classic Murder Suicide, open and shut case, it's the angry black gardener"). Even if Chris was brought in for questioning he could just go back to the house with the dead people and show them the video of the grandfather literally explaining what was happening, show them the video, the brain surgery room the dead blind dude still in the chair, and the brain surgery marks on the Grandmother and Grandfather's dead black bodies.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Plus you got the same effect of the original ending in those few beats before the TSA reveal.

Like man my theater like all muttered fuuuuuck under their breaths when they heard the sirens.

Then a sigh of relief.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

http://nextshark.com/get-out-film-asian-character-racism-llag/

quote:

The cocktail party scene was a brilliant way to demonstrate the racial microaggressions and dehumanization that Black folks experience. Upon meeting the white party guests, protagonist Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) was asked a number of rude, racist questions. These specific questions said a lot about the questioner: an old white man who could no longer do sports asked if Chris could swing a golf club like Tiger Woods; an older white woman with a dying husband asked if the stereotypes were true about the big Black penis. When the Asian character made his grand entrance, he asked:

“Is the African-American experience an advantage or disadvantage?”

To understand why the Asian man asked this, you have to consider Claire Jean Kim’s theory of racial triangulation. Racial triangulation posits that Asians exist on a spectrum where they are 1.) perceived as better than Blacks (but not as good as whites) and 2.) categorized as perpetual foreigners who will never be accepted as “full” Americans. According to racial triangulation, Asians are in racial limbo, trying desperately to achieve whiteness and status as “real Americans” by stepping on the heads of Black folks.

So when the Asian man asked Chris, “Is the African-American experience an advantage or disadvantage?” he wasn’t just making small talk, he was wrestling with the decision of whether or not it would be better to trade bodies with Chris and experience anti-Blackness or stay the same and live life as an Asian man in America and experience xenophobia

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bruh that entire party was nothing but white liberals the movie.

Dad'sI would have voted for Obama. The white lady that knows best and just wants to fix the black dude's flaw. The white girl that just can't believe her family is so racist

Jokes about penis size, asking about sports players. Their love of everything black culture

The entire loving movie is about the logical endpoint of the idolatry of Black Culture white liberals often love without any actual care about black people's​ personhood themselves.

That endpoint is no different than the hardcore racist's endpoint. It's just done in a nicer manner.(Sisters strat vs Brothers strat.)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

Finally saw this. I get the recontextualization of most actions by the twist, but what was the point behind the gardener running at Chris in the backyard at night?

The Grandfather who never got over losing to Jessie Owens. He wasn't running at Chris. He was just running around at night because that's the reason he wanted the black body in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alternate ending

https://twitter.com/nikuaIe/status/864324865888849920

• Locked thread