Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how a lot of the characters are speaking in an old timey way, and you think throughout that hey, they were obviously hypnotized just like we saw in the trailer and brainwashed into speaking "properly." But then the last third of the movie happens. I'm glad I didn't know any of that stuff ahead of time, after seeing it the trailer does a great job of making you think you've figured out the movie very early on but it still has some cool twists to it.
This is why I was confused by some critics like RLM saying the trailer gave away too much (other than RLM being generally lame and that being a cliche YouTube trailer comment complaint). Like of course I would have had even more fun going into this completely blind but I don't think I would have been as eager to see the film without the effective as gently caress trailer, and rather than giving everything away it just makes you think youve figured out the angle

I could really connect with a lot of the film especially the whitewashing themes and it really made me self examine why I kept giving the "protective white gf" the benefit of the doubt to irrational lengths lockstep with the main character until it became so blatantly obvious we both had to face the music

It's a film I'd love to watch again just because so much stuff I completely missed is just buried there and also reframed by the real "twist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

and five seconds after that it shows her aiming a rifle
see, this is just one of those random flashes I didn't happen to remember many many many months afterwards when I actually saw the film. looking at the trailer in retrospect, there's all kinds of hints like that and the brain surgery imagery, but I only notice them now in retrospect. Even that flash of Rose, Allison Williams is so transformed once she goes ponytail (visually like some combination of Jennifer Connolly int he late stages of Requiem for a Dream and Alex from A Clockwork Orange) that I either didn't recognize it/realize it/remember it, either way there was so much time between the trailer and the release that all I was really left with was "OH poo poo WATCH OUT FOR WHITE PEOPLE, THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

He's also really good as the creepy brother in The Last Exorcism, and is nearly unrecognizable as a heroin addict in Heaven Knows What.
Holy poo poo I never put together that he was the dude from antiviral and heaven knows what
He's been great and weird looking in a lot of poo poo I guess. Always thought the dude had some Culkin in him or something

• Locked thread