Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ It's not jump scarey. It's freaky.

Really really liked the movie. My only negative thought, and it's more of surprise than disappointment, is that I felt I was kinda expecting another twist. As the OP mentions, I expected the cop at the end to be In On The Whole Thing From The Get Go, but I also thought there might be other wrinkles with (third act stuff) certain people being either hypnotized this whole time (Rose specifically, the family in general), or secretly not into the plan (Rose's brother). Or poo poo, for a little bit I thought Stephen Root would be a Good Old Guy and not an Evil Racist Old Guy. In the end you kinda knew what was going down from the beginning. Nothing to knock the film for, though.

Two actors really stood out to me. Allison Williams as Rose, specifically her feeling like an entirely different character after the reveal, which might be why I was expecting a twist that she was either hypnotized during their relationship or hypnotized after the reveal and ponytail application, and Betty Gabriel playing one of the hired help, because holy poo poo did she nail playing one character while another character is struggling to escape in the same headspace.

e: Like, how hosed up is it to realize every dude (and some women) Rose fucks, she sees on the regular when she goes home. hosed. Up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

At what point did you realize that Rose was a willing accomplice instead of a tool?

For me, it was when she got huffy over Chris wanting to leave after a day of racist white people, by the lake, as the sun was going down. For me, that scene was my own personal test-of-character determinant. If she had decided that, sure, let's go right now, you're obviously uncomfortable, it'd be one thing. But no, she literally turns his back on him and tries to make him feel bad for wanting to leave, and it was a total a-ha moment and I spent the scenes up to what you spoiler-blocked waiting for it.

Like I said, I was expecting that there'd be a she-was-a-tool twist, because holy poo poo did that putting-her-hair-in-a-ponytail change really felt like an entire different character was on screen. All the previous warmth the character had was just... gone, immediately, and I think the actress pulled that off really well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So what was the reasoning behind Rose actually grinning while she was being choked to death at the end, and the corresponding almost disappointment when he stopped? It doesn't really line up with the lights from the police car.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Was anyone else expecting, at the very end, that Rose was going to get up or regain control of the shotgun while the two guys were talking in the car? I mean, I was laughing at the dialogue, but I was worried that it was going to take a last minute punishment for doing so.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Speaking as a ~cis white male~, I was actually satisfied by her expression being one of utter shock and disbelief that she *wasn't* going to get her revenge..

I did too; I thought it was an interesting thing that he let someone to die, alone, after admitting he had intense guilt for not doing that earlier in his life.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

they literally show her die laying there so no. do a lot of goons just not pay attention you see her die, she stops moving and breathing.

You have an incorrect memory of the timeline of events. She doesn't finally die until they drive away and the music starts playing.

Before that, when the two characters are in the car, with the comic relief explaining how he should've never gotten into this in the first place, she's still alive, and for most of the conversation, they are looking at each other, and not the still-kinda-alive crazy lady that the main character just slid the rifle a few inches away from.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 26, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

cuz she can't move and is dead

Again, you are factually incorrect: she's not dead until the car drives away. We know she's still alive when they are having their conversation.

Groovelord Neato posted:

because they already did "the person who thought died came back" and it'd be lame as hell to do it again.

I'm not saying it would've been a good thing to do - it would've been dark as hell - but I was worrying that the movie was going to take that dark turn.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Got a free ticket to see the movie again today, and I wonder: were Grandma and Grandpa putting on domestic/groundskeeper acts for Chris, or did they agree to just be unpaid help for the family when they got put into new bodies?

I could imagine the grandma being okay with being the dutiful cook, 50s mentalities for women being what they were, but it seems like a proud man-of-the-house dude would have issues being given a new lease on life, only to be the lowly help.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

VROOM VROOM posted:

More specifically, as someone said his whole motivation was having a strong physical body. Being a groundskeeper and working with his hands all day every day is his version of Heaven.

Huh, that makes sense.

One little thing that's 90% face blindness and 10% hairstyle differences: Was the last Rose photo of the Grandpa Body? My guess is yes, but the photo is the dude in a beard and not smiling, and Grandpa Body is clean shaven (a lovely little throughline that they make the guys shave) with a goofy grin most of the movie.

And I don't know why, but I love that despite her unemotional true nature, Rose displays all her victims proudly above her bed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The more I think about this movie, the more I'd love to sit down and ask Peele how he felt Rose's family grew up. Like, given how ice cold and low affect Rose is after the reveal, when she doesn't need to act anymore, was she always like that? Were even the solo selfies Chris finds of her manufactured to create the illusion of a normal kid who isn't being raised to seduce men for brain replacement? Did the stories about them getting drunk as kids really happen?

Obviously none of that matters to the plot or anything, I'm just curious.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Holy christ, had the family's plan worked out, it would've ended with a man in someone else's body, looking at Catherine Keener being happy, unable to look away. Expressly looking at things through a square viewport bordered by nothingness.

Just like this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it was intentional to have Rose be complicit of her own cognizance. It's why the reveal hits you as hard as it does (if you didn't see it coming, that is); giving Rose an excuse for why she's done what she did would've been like giving the police officer an excuse to do what he did. Rose, like the police officer, is not being controlled into being a racist sociopath, she simply is one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Some comments I've read on another website. Some of these feel admittedly out there, but the movie is dense enough that they might actually be intended. I'll just spoiler block the lot of it.

During the party Rose is in red and white and Chris is in blue. Later at the lake Rose admits this is awful and they decide to leave. They say “I love you” and hug, bringing together the red white and blue to show us what real racial harmony and tolerance are supposed to look like in the United States. Until well, you know.

Very small, stupid detail that I thought was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen for no good reason - when Rose is sitting cross-legged on the bed at the end before Chris’s escape researching new prospects, she takes a single Fruit Loop, bites half of it, and puts the other half down.

When Rose is eating Froot Loops cereal and drinking milk separately, it’s because she can’t have the white (milk) and coloreds (froot loops) mixing at all. Even they have to be segregated. And if you notice, she takes 3 big sips of white for every one piece of colored, demonstrating her huge preference of white over color.
Malevolent and brilliant.

The previous dude who got kidnapped (Logan, I think?) having a tattoo behind his ear and holes in his earlobes from earrings that he no longer wears was a perfect little hint that the guy wasn’t always the tame loser he’d been brain-swapped into.

I believe Rose intentionally targeted people who had bad habits (i.e. smoking, nail biting). That way the dad could tell the same bullshit story “I used to have the bad habit of X, but then my wife hypnotized me. Now when I even think about it, it makes me want to throwup.” Probably used that line to get a lot of the victims to sit down for a session with the mom.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I'm in love with Allison Williams. Not because of that rear end-eating revelation, just in general.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Remember the 80's when everyone seemed kind of convinced that Japan was going to be the future world economic superpower? Maybe Japanese was "in" then just like black is "in" now:tinfoil:
Obviously that's pretty unlikely but I like the idea of the family having been doing it for quite some time and changing which race they choose as they go on

The brief video mentions that they only recently perfected the brain/personality procedure after trying for years and years. I dig the idea too, but I think the movie implies that Dean pretty much became a neurosurgeon so that his dad could be one of the first to successfully undergo the procedure.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us what movies you masturbate to.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

I really can't believe this has to be a codified rule, how horrible is that? Just stop and think about it for one second, I actually had to sit here and type this thing out here saying that nobody in the entire course of human civilization wants to know what movies you jerk off to. Don't tell us, don't tell us, don't tell us. I will probate the gently caress out of you disgusting orangutan-rear end motherfuckers, Jesus Christ, just don't do it.

Dude, I was just saying she's cute.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
33% understanding that he's hosed, 34% being jerks who couldn't be subtle if their lives depended on it, and 33% doing things this way proves they are the superior people who deserve to have their brains scooped out and transfered into those who don't know how good they have things.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love the word choices Grandpa Brainchanger uses during the Welcome To Brain Scooping video. The thing that you bring to the table are the physical gifts (as in nothing you actually earned) you have, what we bring to the table is determination (specifically, the drive to earn things). It's a line as racist as it is one of ignorant privilege: if I succeeded it's because of something I did, if you succeeded it was because of luck or something you were born with.

if Grandpa Brainchanger were to describe his story, he worked hard to be an Olympic runner, when some random black dude with abilities he just stumbled into having beat him out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
According to Box Office Mojo, this movie only lost 20% in its second week. Very impressive, given that Logan came out this week.

E: vvv I did, upthread. The way that movie ends is pretty much a lower tech Sunken Place.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 6, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Basically, their belief is that they are the people who deserve to be running things in perpetuity, and are unfairly burdened by not having the physical traits such a station deserves. So it's better for everyone if they maintain their existence beyond their normal lifespan.

It is a religious/spiritual thing, to them.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 8, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Queering Wheel posted:

Gotta love butthurt white people in a deep red state.

I had a dude decked out in I'm A Vietnam Vet regalia getting visibly angrier and angrier during Kong today. It was awesome.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

Finally saw this. I get the recontextualization of most actions by the twist, but what was the point behind the gardener running at Chris in the backyard at night?

Grandpa Brainchanger was just enjoying being able to run super fast like he used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

So, if Rose snatched up the Grandfather's currrent 'host' body, and the 'guests' can interact or are merged with the 'hosts' does that mean that Grandfather has memory of having sex with his granddaughter?

I got the impression that there's not a ton of merging at play. The new guy is driving the ship, and the old guy is, at best, in the engine room, and the captain never needs to go down into the engine room.

• Locked thread