Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This thread makes me feel smart because I guessed that Rose was in on it by the time the barbecue rolled around. It didn't need clues--common sense would suggest that she is, since obviously Chris isn't the family's first victim. In fact I thought it was really weird that Chris was expecting her to give him the keys and leave with him considering the shoebox told him everything he needed to know about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like how a lot of the creepy moments were also funny. Like Georgina just standing behind the door holding cake.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

The two big things the trailer gave away were Catherine Keener being involved in what was happening and the fact that hypnosis was involved somehow.

Having seen the trailer, I could immediately tell that the parents were in on it, since the mom was a hypnotherapist and the dad was a neurosurgeon.

It would be weird to make a movie about the horrors of meeting a white family as a black man if the family was not involved in the horror. I don't really think that's a spoiler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that line is just a standard case of a white liberal trying to relate to a black person/appear not racist. I guarantee most black people in America have heard it before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I would actually like to see a variation on this movie where the bad guys are actual misguided liberals doing what they think is good for black people but harming them unintentionally.

One could (and many have) interpret this movie as being exactly this already.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Grandpa was still considering being published in JAMA and the Journal of Neurosurgery after doing the old ~switcheroo~.

There are still people who've skipped seeing the movie because they don't normally dig on horror, so...~kinda maybe~?

Why are they this deep in the thread though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Why are y'all still using spoiler tags?

The only criticism I can level at this movie without a rewatch is that one jump scare having wayyyyyy too overblown a musical cue.

I can't even think of the moment you're talking about. The deer hitting the car?

• Locked thread