Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I dunno, for me this worked, because the movie sets you up to look for those things, so it's never totally clear what's going on with certain characters until the third act. I liked the subtle red herring of Jeremy sitting off by himself and looking sullen during the auction, so you think maybe his scene earlier was a red herring and he's not actually comfortable with the whole thing.

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that was supposed to be an auction. I guess I'm the idiot! :downs:

Great movie all around, I gotta say. It helped that the audience I saw it with was really into it-by the end, pretty much everyone was cheering and applauding Chris with each family member he took down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MisterBibs posted:

Was anyone else expecting, at the very end, that Rose was going to get up or regain control of the shotgun while the two guys were talking in the car? I mean, I was laughing at the dialogue, but I was worried that it was going to take a last minute punishment for doing so.

If there was going to be a twist ending, I was expecting it to go like Brazil, where the entire last act had only taken place inside Chris's head, and that his imagined escape was merely a part of the hypnotic conditioning.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad they didn't go down that route.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DeimosRising posted:

This reminds me of the stories about extermination camp overseers telling people that the gas chambers were just delousing them so they wouldn't panic, which would of course work only once because when no one ever came back and a pile of corpses had to be carried out and buried or torched, the other inmates would cotton on pretty quick. Such announcements are either an urban legend developed to add tactical realism to the Holocaust, or the overseers continued making them for the reason people do most things - pure inertia and formal convention.

That's, uh, not an urban legend. At Auschwitz, new arrivals would be split into two groups-healthy young-to-middle aged men and women, and children, the elderly, the sick, and the frail. Those capable of work were sent to be worked to death at adjacent camps, while everyone else would be routed to the 'showers'. And because they were new arrivals, they wouldn't know that nobody came back.

• Locked thread