Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

How widespread is that weird pendulum metaphor the one guy used at the party? My brother once had an idiot for a teacher who used it in a slightly different context as "now the pendulum is swinging back and white people are being oppressed!", but I haven't run into it myself. It's really interesting to me. For one thing it's obviously bullshit, because when was the last time it supposedly swung in the direction of white oppression? But also, it implies that either civil rights and equality are a zero sum game where one group attaining civil rights necessarily results in those same rights being lost for another group (which is definitely a weird belief people seem to have), or it implies an even weirder scenario where it swings back and forth with diminishing oppression until it reaches equilibrium and you get real equality.

I feel like Peele must have run into it himself.

Well, theoretically racists could use the Barbary pirates (and the Viking pirates too, to be fair, white-on-white enslavement) as an example of the theoretical "pendulum" in action but most of them are too historically ignorant to even know what a Barbary pirate is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread