Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Riptor posted:

It was also great how all the lobotomized people always wore hats, wigs, etc to hide the gnarly scars

The housekeeper constantly readjusting her hair in mirrors was the first thing that made me think maybe there's something hosed up with their heads. Literally speaking.

Edit: That scene midway through the film where Chris heads upstairs to check his phone and he peaks into a room and spy's the housekeeper in another room doing...something, could anyone make out what it was? Happened to fast for me to make out.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Armond Whites review is batshit insane

Also it looks like this film will be number 1 in box office.
I feel like my instinctual reaction to that should be :catstare: but mostly I'm feeling like "what the gently caress is he even talking about?" The servants are Trayvon Martin-esque in that they're...zombie-like? And he brings up the Obama's comment about Martin could have been his son? How is that even tangentially related?
Did...did White accidentally walk into a different movie and then just try to write review based on what he actually saw?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Oooooooh. So it's not that there was some deeper connection that I was missing, it's that Armond White is a moron.

I get it now.

Edit: I kinda want to hate read some more of his stuff now.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

weekly font posted:

It's also a testament to how good Allison Williams is in this movie which is pretty impressive since all I knew her from before this was getting her rear end eaten.
S-sorry, what?

Franchescanado posted:

I still feel like it's most of the brain. I mean, Andre seems to go right back to being Andre after the camera flash, screaming to Chris to get the gently caress out. They say they can see through their eyes, but from The Sunken Place. Kinda doesn't work if the whole brain is gone. It's good they kept it vague, but it makes it a bit confusing.
Pretty sure they have a line in there about how the operation leaves in the brainstem and most of the lower brain, which IIRC mainly handles standard bodily functions. Breathing, heartbeat, etc.

Cacator posted:

What's the significance of the Japanese man at the party? Something about the model minority stereotype maybe?
Remember the 80's when everyone seemed kind of convinced that Japan was going to be the future world economic superpower? Maybe Japanese was "in" then just like black is "in" now:tinfoil:
Obviously that's pretty unlikely but I like the idea of the family having been doing it for quite some time and changing which race they choose as they go on

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

The brief video mentions that they only recently perfected the brain/personality procedure after trying for years and years. I dig the idea too, but I think the movie implies that Dean pretty much became a neurosurgeon so that his dad could be one of the first to successfully undergo the procedure.
I'm just imagining his time in med school now.
:eng101: : So, why did you want to pursue neurosurgery as a career choice?
:v:: So that I can implant my elderly father's brain into a young virile black man.
:eng101:: ...Huh.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

her abrupt change didn't work for me. It would have been nice if they had thrown in one or two clues or breaks in the facade instead of making her some kind of a long con genius.
I know, right? It's almost as if she had done it dozens of times before or something???

:v:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 5, 2017

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Remember that some candles were knocked over during one of the fights and you can see a fire starting up afterwards. I don't think he'll be waking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

The vibe I got from the party scene after I finished the movie was that, at the end of the day, the party was 100% about Chris. The "family reunion" spiel was just a weak coverup to disguise the fact that every single person there was just there to see the next auction subject in action (or were attending alongside someone who was). When Chris is out of sight everyone instantly drops the small talk and focuses on him. The auction scene is also an example of this. As soon as his girlfriend drags him away to the lake everyone's like "let's get down to business."

• Locked thread