Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I thought it was poetic that it happened to be a camera's flash that temporarily neutralized the occupying consciousness and brought the authentic self out of the Sunken Place.

Besides the obvious reading about the danger and animosity that underlies the fetishization of black people by whites (done by both left and right wingers), I think a case could be made for it being a cautionary tale against being absorbed by or assimilating to the American establishment, represented by an ideal, rich, artificially cultured and multi-generational family. You've got the old school grandparents (who already own their own set of black bodies), the out-of-touch but trying to be hip parents who both happen to be members of the medical community, and then the son and daughter. I'm tired and don't really feel like doing a long effort post about the different institutional and class entities/historical archetypes each family member could be representative of, but I think that the family as a whole is a symbolic portrait of the establishment culture. It's perverse and incestuous, and while on its surface it may seem racial and its tool may be white supremacy, it's underlying nature is parasitic.

Also, this was a total blast to see in a theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually the other way around. The movie is not about about the real-world threat of body-snatching surgery cults. Chris' girlfriend 'merely' has a fetish, but he processes this as her being part of an international conspiracy.

The film literalizes Chris' irrational fantasies about 'becoming white' - that getting a better career, marrying into wealth (and so-on) will compromise his 'essential blackness' and turn him into just another white dude. Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important.

The truth is that Chris retreats into conspiracy theory as an alternative to class consciousness. The entire ending of the film is this blue pill/red pill false dichotomy between remaining subordinate to 'the man' (the police car) or perceiving the world as a reptilian vampire conspiracy (the nutty friend's car). Shouldn't the response to his friend's "I told you so!" be that, no, he got it wrong? The women were not hypnotizing men into having depraved sex orgies. What if we choose neither car? What happened to Andre?

The unfortunate thing, in most responses to the film, is that the Chris character is understood in this apolitical, apsychological way. He's just 'the good guy' passively reacting to what's in front of him, even at the end. He's not understood as fighting for anything, even though he inherently is.

To the point: the film does not satirize liberalism. It straightforwardly dramatizes a conflict within liberalism, between 'hip' Obama supporters and 'lame' Obama supporters (aka Hillary supporters). Meanwhile, the working class - i.e. grandma and grandpa - are lying dead at the side of the road.

[wide-eyed and tonguing my vampire fangs]
vhaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Grandma and grandpa, despite being 'secretly white' are still treated exactly like black servants. The confusion as to what race they are - "I'm the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude." - is a distraction from their class.

Chris' reaction when this servant starts crying is to dismiss her as crazy. He later doesn't understand why she reacts badly to losing her home and job.

I was just loving around, I get what you're saying and I think it's an interesting way of looking at it

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

nevermind. nothing matters.

this is my favorite reading

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it must suck watching a movie and not realizing that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

why?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

if you don't personally enjoy deep readings thru a different ideological framework than the one you operate within, that's cool

if you don't enjoy what people consider to be a more sensible or straight forward analysis, that's cool too

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

still obsessed with the guy i heard saying the problem with the movie was that "once again scientists are the bad guy"

bet that guy loving loves science

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

So it's a metaphor for the internalized process of Ice Cube going from Amerikkka's Most Wanted to Are We There, Yet??

Or Eldridge Cleaver pushed into The Sunken Place and having his brain replaced by an old Mormon grandpa?

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 16, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I dont think anyone is saying that it is one way or another, the film works very well on multiple levels and from multiple perspectives, which is why I like it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

once again, science is the bad guy :colbert:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

why u cheeky sonuvabitch

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There was some laughing going on so I might've misheard it but the douchebag brother says "fam" when he's first introduced, right?

"SUP FAM"

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

"'Kindly let me help you or you'll drown', said the monkey safely putting the fish up a tree."

Also, this is a good thread

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He's definitely got a torrent of Funny Games on his laptop.

BUT HE DOESN'T ENJOY IT FOR THE ADVANCED REASONS THAT I DO

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The way in which some people here seem to be interpreting the "literal text of the film" is confusing to me cause through that lens The Family aren't white liberals at all, they're body-snatching klansmen who parrot white liberalism to lure their victims. In this sense, there's no indictment against white liberalism, because all these white characters are just pretending to be nice, and so then it seems like we can just ignore the real house of horrors on the hill that white liberalism resides in. I don't think the film is doing that at all, and I think there's multiple levels to what's being represented in each act, which in a fun way creates a sort of conspiracy theory diagram in my head as the parallels are drawn.

I think it's a mistake to make a literal read of everything that happens post-hypnosis to discard the niceness of The Family. They are nice and well-meaning, but the roles that they occupy within society are systemically evil. I think pre-hypnosis we're seeing individuals, post-hypnosis it's the way those roles function and specifically how they subjugate marginalized people. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, and like white liberals do, they're inviting Chris into their crazy home.

So, with this mess of a post, I guess what I'm saying is that we're not seeing any defined or concrete people, we're instead viewing the process and relationships of these societal roles (whiteness, blackness, class, politics) with each other and the effect they have on the main character's subjective experience. And like in real life, there's a complex shifting that goes on in the places where these representations intersect, and so with this movie, making assertions about "the literal text" is a little shaky, since there's multiple levels to the literal.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The events in the film are literal and also representative, this is how satire works.

yeah sorry, it's been a long day and my brain is fried.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

brutal

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I mean, the lovely thing is white liberals have this like supernatural ability to distance themselves from any sort of critique about them, and thus absorb it in like this weird way where they can enjoy the critique while also feeling it doesn't pertain to them as an individual. It doesn't matter in what way the critique is delivered, because they're still not really listening. It's an odd thing, and I'm saying this as someone who is what's conventionally called a white liberal, and I'm painfully aware of how by even pointing this out its another tactic of distancing myself from whatever is being said, by this movie, or even Do The Right Thing, and pinning it on other white liberals. There's really nothing that should or even can be said, it's just whether you want to make the choice of listening and taking responsibility for areas in your life that are protected by giant blinders.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lmao

quote:

I changed my mind about it when I first heard Macklemore sing. Since then I started listening to Grieves, Atmosphere and many more.

Nevermind, i wont derail this thread

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Im genuinely confused now

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

i am the bird posted:

Anyone care to explain how Chris's photography is "black" and his apartment is "not black"?

quote:

Daylight, I wake up feeling like you won't play right
I usually know but now, that poo poo don't feel right
It made me put away my pride
So long, you made a nigga wait for some, so long
You make it hard for a boy like that to go wrong
I'm wishing I could make this mine, oh

If you want it, yeah
You can have it, oh, oh, oh
If you need it, ooh
We can make it, oh
If you want it
You can have it

But stay woke
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Ooh, now stay woke
Niggas creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes

Too late
You wanna make it right, but now it's too late
My peanut butter chocolate cake with Kool-Aid
I'm trying not to waste my time

If you want it, oh
You can have it, you can have it
If you need it
You better believe in something
We can make it
If you want it
You can have it, aah!

But stay woke
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Put your hands up on me
Now stay woke
Niggas creepin'
But stay woke, ooh
Niggas creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin'
Ooh, now stay woke
Niggas creepin'

Baby get so scandalous, oh
How'd it get so scandalous?
Oh, oh
Baby you
How'd it get...
How'd it get so scandalous?
Ooh we get so scandalous
But stay woke
But stay woke

As far as I remember, there's only two songs in the film and they're played consecutively right in the beginning, with "Redbone" in the apartment. I think the themes of the song parallels that of the movie, and I think if you're gonna dissect the apartment opening you've got to include the song in that. I don't have any analysis of my own right now to offer, cause I need to see the movie again, plus I'm at work right now and can't really delve into it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 24, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

It's weird as hell that Grandma and Grandpa would decide to be servants for the weekend instead of like, go to a bed and breakfast or something.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I mean, that's certainly the hottest take in this thread

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

“You know, we fought long and hard for integration…But I tell you, Harry, I’ve come on a realization that really deeply troubles me. I’ve come to the realization that I think we may be integrating into a burning house.”

-MLK to Harry Belafonte

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

the Nameless Cults podcast released an episode on Get Out a few days ago, hosted by our own Uncle Boogie and it's really good if you're tired of the discussion in this thread

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have to admit, one of the reasons I like seeing alternate takes on this movie is because for some bizarre reason people are acting like this is the first socially conscious horror movie with a black lead character, which makes me suspicious about the perspective they're coming at it from. Have they never heard of 'Mind Playin' Tricks On Me'? Welcome Home, Brother Charles? New Jack City?

I FEEL LIKE IM THE ONE THAT'S DOIN DOPE

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Mind Playin' Tricks On Me was one of my fav videos growing up cause it was legit disturbing, also my fav guitar loop of all time.

Also, wait til they see Tales from the Hood. There was some article making its rounds a few months ago about Get Out that was praising the "recent trend" of, get this, what the author called "allegorical horror films (re: It Follows, Get Out, the Babadook)."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

might as well toss out the set design of the mansion too, it certainly has nothing to say about the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The movie is really all a metaphor for how stressful it is to stop smoking.

My piercing ideological analysis is that cigs are phallic symbols and they're also white. Therefore

• Locked thread