Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from the horror thread, since I just found this one:

One thing that I've been thinking about Get Out is that Chris is, by definition, an anti-hero.

He is propelled through the plot by the actions of others, and only becomes an actual hero when he is prepared to be persecuted by death/servitude.

*Rose drives them to her parents house. Chris is never shown actually driving.

*Chris is a photographer/observer. It is mentioned that he has great potential, but hasn't fully achieved "success" (this is what I inferred)

*Chris, when given an choice on advantages/disadvantages of being a black man in a modern society, deflects the question to Andre

*Chris does not correlate what is happening around him, does not pick up the clues of the conspiracy. He gives the information to Rod, who is mostly right about his assumptions and figures out the plot against Chris. Even more than that, when Chris starts making accusations, he's really just repeating Rod and censoring the more ridiculous claims ("sex slaves", though in Andre's case, Rod still isn't wrong)

*Chris does not engage in any of the conflicts, it is always someone else who ends it. Examples: Rose and Missy getting Jeremy to stop trying to wrestle, Rose deflecting the awkward conversations between Chris and Dean, etc.

*Chris does not willfully engage in the hypnosis, he is seduced by it before it's mentioned, with Missy using the techniques with her sweet tea while they sit in the backyard and talk

*Chris does not investigate anything. He sees Georgina and Walter acting strange, he finds Missy in her study, not because he's looking, but just because he wants a cigarette. He finds the box of pictures of Rose because he's packing, not because he's looking for clues.

*Georgina and Walter both engage Chris about their strange behavior and his suspicions (after the family discusses behind his back his suspicions that he brings up to Rose, the informant)

Chris becomes a hero once the conspiracy is explained to him by the actual oppressors, through a Television he is forced to watch while strapped to a comfy recliner. Which leads to him:

*Picking cotton (ironically) from the chair to save his life by plugging his ears

*He uses a ball to crush Jeremy's head (I assume it's a pool ball or a croquet ball, since it's hard and heavy, but it should be noted that Jeremy uses a Lacrosse club(?) as a weapon against him

*Using the deer head (a buck), a reverse symbol of the wounded deer (a doe) that seems to reflect his identity at the beginning, and using the antlers as a weapon, charging his enemies.

*Destroys Missy's tea-cup

However, Chris is still unable to kill Rose. Walter wounds her before taking his own life. Chris tries to strangle her, but quits because Rod rescues him, and even then, he's still the passenger on the ride home.

I've seen the movie once, so I could be off on a few things, or missing some other keys, or missing the overall intent of this aspect of Chris's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

A core conceit of the movie would never work because you can't hypnotize someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized but I'm willing to look past that

But he kinda did. I mean, sure, he's resistant, but he's also curious, and only says no because Rose tells him no. Also, the mom is using the technique on him before they even talk about hypnosis, while they're sitting in the back yard talking, when he's receptive towards them to make a good impression

glam rock hamhock posted:

I thought an antihero was more of someone that does morally questionable things to achieve their own goals yet is the focus of the story rather than someone who is just passive. I don't think I've ever seen antihero defined by passiveness, lack of curiosity and inability to work things out.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, anti-hero refers more to the ethics of a character's actions. This would just be a passive protagonist.

With just looking for a standard definition, I found several variations, with the most common being : "An antihero is not your typical hero because he doesn't always possess purely good qualities or personality traits. For example, while a hero is courageous in the face of battle, an antihero might be afraid. While a hero is perfectly handsome, an antihero might be too short, too hairy, or too fat. While a hero is self-assured, an antihero might be plagued with insecurities. And while a hero is out for justice and to serve the common good, an antihero might be selfish and rebellious against this same common good."

Which still applies, since Chris's turn towards heroism isn't to save all black people, or to right the wrong of the white people against the black people, it's simply to survive.

I believe Campbell is the one that puts "Passive hero" into "anti-hero" status, but my point was that he's Passive in all of his actions until the third act.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

Even if he did want to get hypnotized the first time, he couldn't unwillingly be brought back into it by swirling a spoon or w/e.

It's a mental collar and leash for him. I get that the actual science is shaky, but it's a great plot device for the idea and themes that outweighs the plausibility, even within the realm of hypnosis logic.

Edited for clarity and spelling

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

edit: also, for the ending scenes

there's a lot going on with the deer in this movie but all I could think of was Reagan's welfare myth of the "strapping young buck" when Chris kills the dad, aka literally the paternalist racist

I still want to see the ghost deer scene from the trailer

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I watched it to see what you were talking about, and it's a cool-looking shot — but holy poo poo does the trailer basically condense the entire movie into two minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

The trailer does a good job of emphasizing the color palette of blues and browns. It spoils the poo poo out of the movie, but it's really great looking.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

They will be fine. The Grandfather in the black dude's body will likely be blamed for it("Classic Murder Suicide, open and shut case, it's the angry black gardener"). Even if Chris was brought in for questioning he could just go back to the house with the dead people and show them the video of the grandfather literally explaining what was happening, show them the video, the brain surgery room the dead blind dude still in the chair, and the brain surgery marks on the Grandmother and Grandfather's dead black bodies.

The only problem is I think the video was a live stream connected to a server in the hospital room. It plays the footage of the grandfather, but then cuts to the Blind man getting ready for surgery, who has a conversation with Chris via two-way audio. How this happened (or maybe why) with a CRT is a different question.

But yeah, I think Chris is mostly in the clear. The police that Rod talk to didn't even take notes, so they won't even have a record of Rod's claims.

edit: Chris may have left marks on Rose's neck from choking her, which could be traced.

I appreciate how it goes both ways. Chris may be safe, but he may not be safe. He'll never know. He'll certainly never trust white people again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

It's also interesting to wonder whether the tech for brain transplanting will get out into the outside world. Being able to put someone's brain inside someone else's body has a ton of implications and would be pretty revolutionary.

I still feel like it's most of the brain. I mean, Andre seems to go right back to being Andre after the camera flash, screaming to Chris to get the gently caress out. They say they can see through their eyes, but from The Sunken Place. Kinda doesn't work if the whole brain is gone. It's good they kept it vague, but it makes it a bit confusing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not really confusing it's like the story the extra which you can read here http://eidolon.net/?story=The%20Extra.

No, I meant confusing in that how much of the brain is being transplanted to allow the new person most-control while the old consciousness is still looking. It's a confusing detail, not a confusing plot point.

Unless that story answers that, but I don't have time to read it this minute.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

There's lots of things you could take from it.

• Asia/Japan also have hosed up and racist view of black people
  • The problem isn't just rear end in a top hat white people
  • The history of tension between Asian immigrants and African Americans
  • Touching how in America East Asians are often seen as an ideal minority, most successfully blending into the existing social and power structures of the country
  • Showing that while race plays a large role in the whole hosed up situation, you can't forget that we're dealing with a bunch of rich assholes first and foremost
  • The lurking reminder that the patronizing racism at the heart of the villainous plot isn't just directed at black people, maybe one of the rich assholes previously longed to possess the hard working and industrious body of an Asian man after watching The Karate Kid a few times and desiring to know what it was like to know Karate

And/or the white argument of "I'm not racist, I have Asian friends, I just don't like 'the bad ones'."

Not only that, but I really liked how the Asian guy seemed to instigate things more with the white people. He's the one that directly asks a question about the black experience (most likely out of excitement and to prepare for his chance at being black). It's like the nerdy kid who's friends with the bully and gets to pick on the other nerds because he will escape persecution himself. Also, he's rich; whether the hand is white or Asian, the money he's holding is still green. And in this group, intelligence/intellect are considered most valuable, so it's not surprising that a bunch of white people who base a conspiracy on stereotypes letting Asians in on the game based on stereotypes of Asians being inherently more intelligent.

Edit-- A note on the Bingo scene: every card held up had landed on a BINGO, as if, no matter who wins the silent auction, everyone's a winner, since they're "making society better".

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

I feel like there are plenty of people out there who only consume media in order to feel superior to it.

So SomethingAwful?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, I was just saying she's cute.

You should read the rules of the forum real quick.

:thejoke:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

They didn't start "selection" until a year after the camp opened, and even then many of them were just shot before being transported to the crematoria. Some of the camp guards remember telling the victims they were to be deloused, but many of the survivors also report knowing that the people "selected" were going to be killed. No one was being fooled.

Yeah, from accounts I've read, everyone was in on "the joke" and played along or being willfully delusional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What's also weird about the pendulum idea is that it seems to silently acknowledge white guilt, but instead emboldens the hatred and behavior instead of humbling it.

"White people have been on top by loving other races over, and soon they'll fight back to take over."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HellCopter posted:

I've been wondering, am I missing some meaning in the title? Or is "Get Out" just a standard horror-sounding name.

He needs to get out of the situation or get out of the Sunken Place.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or even a reference to white people telling black people to Get Out, like segregation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Maybe dumb question (not really a spoiler, and even if it was you shouldn't go 7 pages deep into a thread for a movie you haven't seen):
Was there any particular significance to the moment when Chris went upstairs and the party just going silent and staring up there? Or is it just another case of "something is very hosed up here"?

I also think it emphasizes how much of an outsider he is to them. They look up with curiosity and listen to him like they would an animal that has somehow found its way upstairs.

I want to say it has something to do with the box of photos in the closet, but I don't know how many of the guests would be aware of that. They seem more interested in the finished product, not really the process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ty1990 posted:

My favorite scene might've been when Chris swipes away the tea cup from the mom and at that point you know she's completely hosed and about to get her comeuppance.

My theater lost its poo poo at that moment.

Catherine Keener was amazing. I absolutely hated her, and loved that payoff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

It would be weird to make a movie about the horrors of meeting a white family as a black man if the family was not involved in the horror. I don't really think that's a spoiler.

Yeah, it's the sell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I would even say that the trailer is a pretty effective red herring that leads you to assume the movie is just about hypnosis/brainwashing. You can't get the full extent of the story from the trailer so the "twist" is a pleasant escalation of the concept that feeds from the viewers' expectation that they already think they know what's going on.

One thing that bothered me a little was Rose turning into the terminator after the reveal. Like, I get that she's a sociopath that lures men into this horrorshow but at the same time, her parents and brother were just murdered you'd think she'd have some emotional response to that.

Also, never call the cops, jesus christ what are you doing man.

Sociopaths and psychopaths do not emote empathy and sympathy, even for family. This is a girl that laughs at biting off the tongue of a person she is attracted to.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious about this. During the movie the camera stared at the Froot Loops so hard I felt like it was Lassie trying to tell me something important.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-get-out-milk-horror-jordan-peele-allison-williams-20170301-story.html

Peele said in an interview that the Froot Loops were supposed to be emblematic of stunted growth, psychopathy and childishness, but I don't quite get anything else about the character that would have corroborated that. Sure, she's psychopathic, but I don't see what's psychopathic about Froot Loops, and Froot Loops are childish, but I don't see anything otherwise about her behavior that was childish. Seems like this could've been thought out some more.

Her life is a literal game of cat and mouse. She gets to find a boy/girl, trick him/her into liking her, take him/her home to her parents, get rewarded for her efforts, repeat. She has a bedroom that is appropriate for a teenager with pictures of every partner she has over the bed. Her only friend is her weird alcoholic gently caress-up brother and her two parents. She sits on her bed googling semi-celebrities she can fantasize about seducing and capturing (Chris is semi-well known in the photography world, she probably googled Binged him as wel). She is, in many ways, a sheltered childish person with psychopathic tendencies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

There's a lot to unpack from this movie

My roommate pointed out that empathy towards deer is a pretty good reflection of character in the film. When they first hit the deer, Chris wants to check on the deer but Rose says to just forget about it. The dad has a deer head on his mantle and talks about how he wishes he could just kill them all. He ends up getting killed by... (drumroll)

He specifically complains against "bucks". A buck is a male deer, and is also a racist term for a black man who is defiant against white people or their white owners. So Chris, a "buck", kills the buck-hating father with a buck's antlers. What's also important is that the deer from the beginning is, as far as I can tell, a doe, without antlers to defend itself. Chris is a passive protagonist (like the doe) until he picks the cotton, almost embracing the stereotype to turn it towards his favor and save his life, thus turning him into an active protagonist, which is exactly when he sees *drumroll* the buck's head on the wall. Deer use their antlers to battle for dominance, which Chris does by impaling the dad with the antlers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I know it's been out for a few weeks now, but spoilers, dude.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned already but I enjoyed the subtext of the martial arts discussion where the brother says that Chris has the superior genetics, but says that martial arts is about the mind and cleverness, and without saying it out loud, suggests that he, being white and smarter, can use martial arts to defeat the dumber stronger black Chris. Instead, Chris outsmarts him.

I was very happy about the casting for that character and his acting, because he totally sold the idea of the Gareth or Dwight Schrute from The Office, a over-testosteroned geek imagining himself to be an expert in martial arts.

I think it's darkly funny. He's so incompetent that the only way for him to help the family business is to dress up in a dumb outfit and drive around looking for black people to choke hold/chloroform and throw in the trunk of his car. His minor successes have inflated his ego into thinking he's a master martial artist, when he's barely even a decent kidnapper.

Speaking of the brother, no one seems to have mentioned that Rose lured Andre into the neighborhood for the cold open. Chris and Rose have dated for almost 7 months. Andre's been missing for 6 months. Wouldn't be hard for Rose to be ending her relationship with Andre and starting her relationship with Chris. It's tight writing that I really enjoy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think he was the only casting choice I didn't like. To the point it pulled me out of the movie as kind of a "just shut the gently caress up, I get what he's saying but just shut the gently caress up". Especially with the dinner table scenes, just shut up. A little too out there

:frogout:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone think that Stephen Root's character was going to be a good guy/help at first? My girlfriend thought he was going to step in help Chris, or that he bought Chris to set him free. I'm glad it didn't go that route.

LadyPictureShow posted:

On that front, I didn't catch that she was doing that NCAA search for a potential next victim. When Rod googled up the missing acquaintance ('Dre?), weren't the headlines in regard to him being a Brooklyn hip hop musician? Didn't consider that maybe the victims were targeted for specific traits. Granddad wanted to relive his racing days, maybe they targeted the host for being a college track star or something? The blind artist bid on Chris not just to regain sight, but maybe since Chris had a 'photographer's eye'?
Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

No, you've nailed it. There's most likely a bid for requests among the rich white people. They want a semi-celebrity at least ("One of the good ones"), but they probably vote on body type, career field, or other suggestions ("We haven't had an athlete in a while"). There's a lot you can infer from the situation.

Having read the original ending, I'm glad they went with what we have. The movie sets up enough commentary and questions for the audience, and already gives them a gut punch with the red and blue lights flashing at the end, letting us know that Chris is hosed. Allowing the best friend to show up and save the day gives the movie an optimistic feel: Yeah, this situation is really lovely, and it's a hard problem that won't just vanish, but it's not inescapable. There's a chance for things to get better. We aren't stuck, we can Get Out. I think that hopeful message does more good than the original downer ending could have.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

It definitely wasn't what he said so much as how he said it. Maybe he's walking that line of being so good/annoying as a character that I truly hated him but I just remember I wanted his dinner scenes to end ASAP

Yeah, that's the intention of the scene.

If you've ever had to sit through a dinner with your significant other's weird possibly-unstable and certainly drunk sibling, it is it's own type of horror. If that weirdo sibling thought they were a master of martial arts because they kidnap black people to make their parents happy, I would want that dinner to end very quickly too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have a minor question about the party scene. I missed the introduction of Logan in Dre's body. Was there any mention of him having a music background? Or young black man with woman twice his age it's just implied he wanted a youthful body and the host's musical ability was irrelevant?

He may have been, but I don't remember.

I think that the man just wanted to be younger (maybe skinnier), stylish, and "hip", hence his modelling clothes that are arguably nicer and cooler than those worn by the guests around him (ironically his clothes were mostly brown), and his wife wanted a hot young black man to gently caress.

Kidnapping and stealing the body of a black person with some type of talent seems to be the goal, while the actual talent may only appeal to a few. The mentality is that they are somehow "physically superior" in some way, so they are "one of the good ones" instead of a regular or lesser black person. So a hip-hop artist shows a form of recognizable talent, even though the white guy doesn't want to be able to freestyle or have better rhythm.

This also creates incentive for the bidding. Andre may have been captured for being a musician/artist, but he still was put on display so each of the bidders could see the appeal to becoming Andre, which leads to the auction and then procedure.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nucleic Acids posted:

I knew there was no possible way the real people grandma and grandpa had stolen, hell, effectively murdered could be saved, but it was still so sad seeing that play out.

Sad? He had no way of salvation but was able to get revenge against the family that wronged him and claim control of his own fate all at once. Tragic fate but empowered with poetic justice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, the *darker* poo poo is that that couple was obviously there to 1) show off his new Andre suit, and 2) potentially trade up to a newer model if the price was right and the 'features' were better.

Here's another thing to mull over - I know it's been discussed, but it'd be interesting if it'd been implied that the Chinese guy was a former 'transplant' that the buyer simply had kept for a long-ish time.

What I find interesting is when Andre is brought back to consciousness with the phone camera flash, he doesn't try to escape, he warns Chris to get out. The only reason I can think of him doing that is his consciousness would only maintain control for a short period of time before the new consciousness takes over again.

Steve Yun posted:

I would actually like to see a variation on this movie where the bad guys are actual misguided liberals doing what they think is good for black people but harming them unintentionally.
[/spoiler]

Tucker & Dale vs Evil but with racists.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just like the implication that Georgina and Walter don't sleep.

No need to sleep, just gonna run some laps and rake some leaves.

Just gonna bake a cake in the darkness and play with my wig.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm just disappointed that Walter runs his laps in his work clothes.

Come on, Walter. It's spring time in Alabama. Put on your track gear like a real athlete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I think this came up earlier but it didn't really sink in until now.
Both Georgina's and Walter's current bodies probably did the sex with Rose. That's kind of weird.

And now they have sex with each other.

• Locked thread