Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:psyduck:
Are you for real? Yes, the theme of the movie is quite explicitly what it feels like to be on the receiving end of majority-white spaces' self-congratulatory ineptitude at welcoming and tolerating minorities (wokeness). Jordan Peele is saying that the subjective experience of being marginalized is akin to having a conspiracy arrayed against you and that white liberal mainstream lauding of individual talented minorities while ignoring real racial disparity is akin to hollowing those people out and using them as flesh-puppets in service of their own egos. The horror elements are employed to convey that subjective experience to an audience that normally would be totally oblivious to minority perspectives by heightening everything and making it viscerally grabbing. Like, this is really basic horror 101 and Peele directly confirms it in his statements about the movie :shrug:
https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/842541070151897088
https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/842589407521595393

Unless you really think the movie wasn't made with any thematic point or intentionality beyond getting gore on the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

It really is bizarre how thoroughly people who get super mad about SMG seem to be involved in a parallel universe version of whatever thread. "Invective and insults?" :stare:

It's not even a particularly controversial critique he's advancing! Like I understand why people get provoked to emotional responses when he posts about Darth Vader being a divine agent of justice or whatever, but here his read amounts to just going "yep, the filmmakers made a movie consistent with the themes of the genre they consciously placed it in." Like, how is that so challenging?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:goonsay:

Do you honestly believe thematic content is out of reach for most viewers?

Analytic Engine posted:

Execution and the realities of doing art are what makes the end product interesting.

Oh.

You're also reading, like, a huge amount of animus into SMG's posts that frankly just isn't there. Don't mistake his concision for condescension.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

DeimosRising posted:

woof. yikes.

Just some straight-shootin' :biotruths: my man :smuggo:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

This thread inspires me

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

~~The five stages of Cinema Discusso~~
Stage 1: I will disprove SMG
Stage 2: I will disprove Marxism as a critical lens
Stage 3: Heh, checkmate, how can SMG's posts have meaning if I start refusing to recognize words have meaning :smuggo:
Stage 4: Whatever you're all nerds anyway I'm leaving
Stage 5: Acceptance (HIGHLY HYPOTHETICAL)

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 11, 2017

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lurdiak posted:

Actually, the opposite interpretation is true.

King Vidiot posted:

I thought the first stage of CD was a sane and rational discussion of the motifs and themes of the movie where everybody who loved the film can come and discuss it. The second stage is where SMG comes into the thread and completely derails it and makes it about him, then everybody either gets bored or keeps arguing with a brick wall.

The movie is practically out of theaters now and there's nothing really left to discuss :shrug:
Look I'm genuinely not trying to start a slapfight or cheerlead here (Lurdiak I know you as a good enough poster to give me pause if nothing else) but how does SMG do that other than literally just post fairly standard academic film criticism? And pretend to be a chatbot, I guess, although that seems to me a fairly obvious glib statement of his posting gimmick, i.e. egoless, dispassionate insistence on critically reading films as films, not entertainment commodities?

What threads did this perception come from? Or have I just written too many essays on Adorno and Horkheimer in my life and gotten irreparable CT brokebrain?

and a gif of jordan peele to keep this even minimally relevant for the new page :cripes:

get out or get in kitty but dont just meow at me :catstare:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

yeah nvm, gomen nasai

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread