Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Or maybe they like it because they want to say see, liberals are the real racists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Guess you missed how she eats fruit loops. Girl doesn't have a soul and emotions mean nothing to her, but the message seemed muddled.

I'm curious about this. During the movie the camera stared at the Froot Loops so hard I felt like it was Lassie trying to tell me something important.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-get-out-milk-horror-jordan-peele-allison-williams-20170301-story.html

Peele said in an interview that the Froot Loops were supposed to be emblematic of stunted growth, psychopathy and childishness, but I don't quite get anything else about the character that would have corroborated that. Sure, she's psychopathic, but I don't see what's psychopathic about Froot Loops, and Froot Loops are childish, but I don't see anything otherwise about her behavior that was childish. Seems like this could've been thought out some more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Dreddout posted:

Can someone please try to explain to me the cult-like talk of being "gods trapped in cocoons"? I get the symbolic idea of putting a perfect mind in a perfect body, but the way the grandfather was saying things like "our order..
our determination... BEHOLD THE COAGULA!" implied to me that there was a big mystic conspiracy. However it's never really brought up again, and the brain transfer is treated as a business transaction, not a religious apotheosis.

Was it all fluffy prose, or am I missing something here?

Cults and cult-like personalities have a habit of playing up the marketing of cult practices to make them sound more special (or less horrifying) than they really are. So yes it is fluffy prose, but fluffy prose to make horrible people feel better about what they're doing.

Consider this video where John Oliver examines multi-level-marketing scams. A common accusation leveled against MLM companies is that they're "pyramid schemes." An MLM marketer needs to give his followers a peptalk to convince them that they're not a pyramid scheme. "It's the opposite... it's a dymarip!" he tells them. Flowery talk to make stupid poo poo not look like stupid poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI&t=1548s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

Her life is a literal game of cat and mouse. She gets to find a boy/girl, trick him/her into liking her, take him/her home to her parents, get rewarded for her efforts, repeat. She has a bedroom that is appropriate for a teenager with pictures of every partner she has over the bed. Her only friend is her weird alcoholic gently caress-up brother and her two parents. She sits on her bed googling semi-celebrities she can fantasize about seducing and capturing (Chris is semi-well known in the photography world, she probably googled Binged him as wel). She is, in many ways, a sheltered childish person with psychopathic tendencies.

Hmm I kinda see what you're talking about but if that's the case I wish they sold it a little more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There's a lot to unpack from this movie

My roommate pointed out that empathy towards deer is a pretty good reflection of character in the film. When they first hit the deer, Chris wants to check on the deer but Rose says to just forget about it. The dad has a deer head on his mantle and talks about how he wishes he could just kill them all. He ends up getting killed by... (drumroll)

edit: VVV that's wonderful, that gives a lot of good context to the cotton which I was kinda scratching my head over as well

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 8, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if it was mentioned already but I enjoyed the subtext of the martial arts discussion where the brother says that Chris has the superior genetics, but says that martial arts is about the mind and cleverness, and without saying it out loud, suggests that he, being white and smarter, can use martial arts to defeat the dumber stronger black Chris. Instead, Chris outsmarts him.

I was very happy about the casting for that character and his acting, because he totally sold the idea of the Gareth or Dwight Schrute from The Office, a over-testosteroned geek imagining himself to be an expert in martial arts.

(edit: oh, Neo Rasa brings it up in the previous page)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think he was the only casting choice I didn't like. To the point it pulled me out of the movie as kind of a "just shut the gently caress up, I get what he's saying but just shut the gently caress up". Especially with the dinner table scenes, just shut up. A little too out there

I was completely sold on him because I've met a few exactly like that, one guy who did nothing but talk about krag maga all day comes to mind, who would talk about it at church, at dinner parties, when other people would talk about movies and music he was talking about elbowing bad guys in the solar plexus, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

On that front, I didn't catch that she was doing that NCAA search for a potential next victim. When Rod googled up the missing acquaintance ('Dre?), weren't the headlines in regard to him being a Brooklyn hip hop musician? Didn't consider that maybe the victims were targeted for specific traits. Granddad wanted to relive his racing days, maybe they targeted the host for being a college track star or something? The blind artist bid on Chris not just to regain sight, but maybe since Chris had a 'photographer's eye'?
Absolutely. The racism here is that the art dealer is attributing Chris' photography skill to his physical eyes and not to Chris' mental talent. I mean, any normal person realizes that the brain is where all your talent is (at least, creative talents), but maybe the art dealer was just telling himself otherwise out of wishful thinking that the talent would transfer over, or maybe not wanting to think about the loss of a person's soul that would happen with discarding his brain, who knows.

quote:

Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
Overthinking? In Cinema Discusso? :monocle:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 9, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RentACop posted:

Recall the scene with the cop asking for ID

:monocle: HOLY poo poo

Yeah, this is one of those movies that definitely needs a second watch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think that line is just a standard case of a white liberal trying to relate to a black person/appear not racist.

I agree with "trying to appear not racist" but I'm not so sure about the white liberal part. I mean, they're killing black people and taking their bodies. I'm pretty sure all the "I would've voted for Obama a third time" isn't a genuinely held opinion or misguided white liberalism, it's BS fed to targets in order to lure them into feeling comfortable (although yes, it's what these evil white people inaccurately think black people want to hear)

I would actually like to see a variation on this movie where the bad guys are actual misguided liberals doing what they think is good for black people but harming them unintentionally.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

One could (and many have) interpret this movie as being exactly this already.

ehhhhh, it's kind of a stretch. I mean yeah the grandpa has flowery speeches about how this is the final butterfly form for all involved, but it's pretty clearly just evil body snatching. I'm talking about a movie where it's misguided but clearly good intentions

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought it was possible maybe he was a transplant when white people were obsessed with the model minority and Tiger Mom horseshit.

But I think the intended (and better) reading is that Asians and Asian Americans are often complicit with white supremacy and colonialism.

Somebody please watch this movie a second time and look for scars around this guy's scalp

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

That movie exists. It's called Get Out

Oh come on. They know what they're doing is evil poo poo. They know what they're doing isn't for the benefit of black people. When the mom sends Chris to the sunken place, she knows he's going to hate being stuck there. It's why they have to trick the black people, why they have to use hypnosis, handcuffs and locked doors to remove all the black people's brains.

Several people have made this same claim and c'mon guys you have to have to willingly ignore a large part of the movie to think the white people think they're doing the blacks a favor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

In the video the grandfather LITERALLY GIVES A SPEECH about how much they're helping the black people they kidnap by combining all that potential in their bodies that they're 'wasting' with white minds. They trick them in a paternalistic manner, because they believe them to be too foolish to realize all the good that they're doing. This is the same poo poo that, for example, Sanders supporters pulled during the primaries. Criticizing blacks as not knowing what was in their best interest because we voted primarily for Clinton.

When they refer to black minds as being a waste of potential and frame their activity as doing a favor to the black bodies, I think that still squarely puts them in the category of "not intending to do black people a favor."

If it resembles any horrible opinions held by white people today, rather than white liberals who mean well but do stupid things, it would be much closer to the kinds of white people who want to make blacks subservient and take away their free will and couch it as doing blacks a favor. They intend harm on blacks but use BS language to make it look like they're doing them a favor. Here is the round hole for Get Out's round peg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWSLRmfbMw
(temporary conservative hero Cliven Bundy arguing that blacks were better off under slavery because they had things to do and stayed out of jail)

edit: VVV I dunno, I'm just erring on the side of caution

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As an aside from the current line of argument, my roommate pointed out that many movies dealing with race will always have the One Good White Guy in the movie who isn't racist and takes sides with the aggrieved black people in the film, and Get Out doesn't even have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

Dunno what to tell you, Cous'. You're clearly determined not to look at this from the perspective that a bunch of folks see it from, including someone pretty close to the whole experience being discussed here. I can't convince you, so just keep thinking what you want.

In a white liberal world, Bernie Sanders supporters get mad at you for voting for Clinton because they say it's against your own economic interest, but they still believe in your right to vote for whoever you voted for.

Cliven Bundy and the white people in Get Out don't believe in your right to make your own choices, they take away your freedom and tell you that subservience is what's best for you.

That's the difference, and why there's room for there to be a separate movie about well-meaning white liberals who do harm unintentionally.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 11, 2017

• Locked thread