Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

In hindsight this also explains the deer scene and his nightmare about it

My friend pointed out that he saves himself by picking cotton - from the chair .

Hooooly poo poo

This just came out on Amazon so I was able to watch it in bits and pieces between migraine issues today. I'm now in my second viewing. Your spoiler above made my jaw loving drop. I did not notice that. Jesus.

Does anyone have an explanation for the scene where Chris and Rose walk back from the bench late at night? The brother is on the porch, idly picking out a song on some stringed instrument. Peele slows down the film here, so the scene is definitely supposed to be impactful. But I can't figure out why. Is the song something in particular? The actor plays it so badly I can't make out the tune.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Welp, I just watched it twice.

I'm bumping this old thread a second time, because holy balls this is a pretty good movie.

I assumed Rose was in on it from the first scene. I don't generally do the "I knew it all along" bullshit, but it's just so obvious. There's no movie if she's not in on it; we knew from the trailer that it's a hosed-up-family situation. I was very surprised to read how many people didn't see she was in on it till later in the movie, or continued to make excuses for her ("maybe she was hypnotized too"). Then again, I am a straight woman, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Like, I'm less likely to give the white, pretty-face 80-lb waif the benefit of the doubt.

We never see what happened to the other black people who were taken, which is unfortunate. Only three are in the film (groundskeeper, maid, and sex slave). Yet we see that Rose and her brother have been at this for years, and have taken at least 10-12 folks. It would have been nice to have a throwaway line or something about what happened to the others. It feels like a miss.

The choice of actor for the brother character was perfect. He's a hosed-up looking boy who can do creepy just by showing up.

I didn't like the TV-as-explanation bit, and I wished they'd let him find the reveal on his own. I think it would have added to the movie to have him wake up and see maybe some news articles on the walls, or something, about Grandpa's experiments. Having him whack the brother in the skull multiple times before he knows the whole plot would have been a great slower build IMO; there'd be more tension as he would have potentially murdered someone without knowing if it was warranted yet.

Like, yes, okay, this family drugged you (hypnotized you?) and tied you to a chair in the basement. Clearly something terrible is going on. But is murder warranted at that time? Did he just make a very, very bad mistake? Did he resort to violence too soon, something the Black men are often accused of?

The cotton coming out of the chair was loving inspired.

• Locked thread