Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

To be fair, aside from the "I'd vote for Obama a third time" line which was probably just a line to make the dad seem like a garden variety vaguely racist white liberal dad instead of a sociopath, there's no real proof that any of the white people in the movie are liberal. I mean, most of them are pretty much full blown "blacks have an extra bone in their body"/"blacks have it better than whites" white supremacists.

I think it goes further than that. Their son is a total creep MMA psycho with crazy eyes and wears a metal helmet. So he can't make any friends or girlfriends to bring home to the family. So they have to rely on their daughter who is both pretty and socially functional. But the downside is that she likes black guys. So it's like an ultra "Guess who's coming to dinner" only for slavery. Like the family has got some dyed in the wool deep racism because their family was denied Olympic greatness by a black guy. And then when their daughter was sent out to get fresh meat she brings home a black guy. So like the old guy says, black is "in" this season. And the thing is, it turns out that they end up liking black guys, like the grandma checking herself out all the time and the meat market drooling by all of the old white women who were choosing their husband's body.

So you can imagine that after the second or third black guy the dad had to craft a liberal persona for himself because it turns out the customer base went black and never went back.

Edit: Also, hell of a movie. Fun, funny, wove racial themes nicely, and some uniquely creepy visuals. Peele is not a bad director. Did he direct any of the short movie segments in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

I think you have this backwards. The plan has always been "kidnap black people and put old white people in their bodies" because these people have some incredibly wrong and terrible views on black people. They believe that black people are inherently physically superior to white people, and mentally inferior, so it can almost be seen as them "doing a favor" to the world by "fixing" the black people. I'm sure Rose is fine with dating black people, but I don't think this whole enterprise was born from her desire, especially considering that the video that Chris is shown while he's tied up was made when Rose was a kid. So now that she's an adult, she can help out with the family business, and because she's capable of acting like a normal human being (unlike her brother, who has to resort to straight up bashing and stuffing black guys in a car trunk), she can do so in a way that is much more subtle and less likely to get them checked out by the police.

This operation has always been about black people, and it makes sense when you think about it through their incredibly distorted lens. The grandfather believes that he lost to Jesse Owens because black people have a genetic advantage athletically, and there are plenty of negative stereotypes about the bodies of black people (remember the creepy old lady who asked about Chris' junk?), and it certainly helps that "adult black man goes missing" is not something that the police are going to put a whole lot of time and effort into investigating (which the movie so helpfully points out).

Quite possibly. Just I found the Jesse Owen chat to have a strange undercurrent that didn't seem properly written or followed through with at the time but felt perfect with that other possibility.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Blisster posted:

Another thing from his past that's reflected in the movie is his fate if he doesn't GET OUT. He'll essentially be stuck forever in the worst day of his life- the day he couldn't move. Watching TV, paralyzed, forever. As if it wasn't horrible enough, it's like his own personal hell.

drat, I didn't realize that visual linkage. Great catch.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

Which still applies, since Chris's turn towards heroism isn't to save all black people, or to right the wrong of the white people against the black people, it's simply to survive.

To his credit, he does stop to save another person even if it doesn't work out exactly. It's sort of the one cinematic heroic act he performs outside of wanting to get Rose out of her family's house when it starts to get creepy.

Wouldn't Chris be merely a protagonist and not an antihero? Seems like a hero or antihero would need actions to earn that definition and so calling him passive and also antihero seems so strange. Maybe if he was passive aggressive or used some political or social systems to do heroic or antiheroic actions. Maybe his passive survival in everyday life is heroism?

• Locked thread