Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There were two elderly women near the front yelling and reacting throughout the whole movie, we saw it at the arclight in Hollywood, it was pretty funny seeing young white people telling the two old women to keep quiet during the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

At no point does Chris interact with cops either.

The cop that asks him for his license/state ID?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Actually, the twist at the end of the episode is that the damage is visible and the narration makes it clear that it is real. In the film, it's even more explicit with claw marks seen by maintenance crew.

I haven't seen the film yet, I just wanted to point that out.

While true, the "it's all in his head" also refers back to the lack of repercussions at the climax of the film. The horrors the family were up to burned up in the fire, the cops will never believe or be privy to what actually happened, and the conspiracy dies in the car with Chris and his buddy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

Your assertion that something is true does not make it the truth.

But there is truth in movies, not just "opinions." There are universal truths in storytelling, it's just that people let their baggage cloud their perceptions of "fact" vs "personally tainted exception"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dave Chappelle joked about Eddie Murphy being called "Darkness" by Rick James because he and his brother were so much darker toned than other black celebrities at the time. It'd be naive to not realize there's a very real problem within black communities about the blackness of one's skin as well.

See also: Hollywood pairing up lighter mocha skinned women with white leading men. Jungle Fever's a great movie for this type of discussion.

Isaiah Washington, Mekhi Phife, Delroy Lindo, Keith David, Charles S. Dutton, and Don Cheadle are all black as gently caress tho.

E: Were all of the other black victims in the movie short haired guys? Trying to think back at the shoebox of pictures and remember if any of her previous boyfriends had dreads or braids.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 17, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Don't forget on Lupita N'yongo, even though she's technically Mexican.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Actually, I'll say it's unfair to say you don't know what you're talking about in conjunction with SMG (who does not know what he's talking about) because I'm on board with your earlier posts. I don't understand for a second how you can so carelessly dismiss the antagonists as "well meaning white folks" or that people are reading the movie as anti-miscegenation.

- a well meaning goon

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

No, they don't. They don't want Chris. They want Chris's body.

They make the conceit within the plot itself that they know they'll never be fully rid of Chris's mind, so your circular logic is already wrong within the plot of the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Do you think that's by design?

Absolutely, because it's what was written in the script. This isn't hard science. It's a magic/ghost story ala the Twilight Zone. Peele already pointed out that the ending of the movie is a fantasy because the way it was originally written was too dour because it reflected the real world too much. There's not much in this movie that ISN'T by design, including the "it was all in his head" ending.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Deliberately committing personal violence for your own benefit isn't well meaning just because you feel bad about it. That's the entire point of mythbusting 'well meaning racism.' They are not trying to better Chris. They are trying to better themselves.

But they don't feel bad about it. Everything in the movie points to them believing that this is the best not just for black people, but for themselves as well. In their mind, it's a win-win situation, not unlike how westerners perceive that other cultures aren't "good" until it's heavily influenced and homogenized by their influence.

Note that there aren't any "good" white people in the movie, because in their own view, they ARE the good guys.

quote:

Progressive Era public health reformers weren't interested in helping poor black people to improve their lives.

The real question is do you think Reagan was a pure Evil, twirling mustache supervillain, or was he the grandpa in Get Out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

elise the great posted:

I use Derrida here as an example because, even though I can't read his work without uncontrollable jacking-off motions, his contributions to critical analysis are undeniable. Whereas the garbage you've posted in this thread has only "changed everything" in that the thread used to be good and now it's all shitted up.

Seriously, though. Anybody got any interesting thoughts on the plate helmet? It's one of the things that gives me a "hmmmm this probably implies something" vibe.

Actually, the thread was fine until the same whiny goons who can't handle a little critical thinking got their panties in a bunch over a deeper reading of the movie. SMG wasn't even the first one to bring it up, which brings me to question if you've even been reading this thread, or just glancing at the plot summaries in the spoiler text. The low effort you've put into your own reading of the movie (what's the deal with the younger brother? HE'SO GODDAMN KOOKY!) is as apparent as your low-effort burn against SMG.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And that kind of stuff comes from things like microaggressions and cultural assumptions - if you're too far off the mark from "normal" people will treat you differently. Get Out is just the maximal version of that experience, and I see it all the time in the gay community. If you're too wispy or femme or whatever in a public setting or around people who have power over you, you'll be treated like scum, so people put on a closeted face because acting like that actively devalues you, even among people who are really nice and well-meaning. There's a million examples, and the way "normies" act in lockstep absolutely feels borderline conspiratorial. It's the same with women with ambiguously gendered names being treated differently over email vs the phone, or the things thin people say to fat people when they think they're being helpful, or the massive difference in the way a "passing" trans person is treated vs someone who successfully blends in, and these are all symptoms of a sick culture.

I work on a television show about trans teens and it blows my mind how ultra-macho people start talking when they're in my edit bay while I'm working on it. People get easily riled when something unfamiliar threatens what they view as "normalcy" and we as Americans are indoctrinated with that mindset at such a young age, it's hard to break out of that cycle when you're older, even if you're a progressive and "should know better".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

This thread sucks.

:eyepop: That username/post combo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's not really what irony is.

And that's not really the correct title of the movie either, when has the title ever been shown with an exclamation point, besides in the thread title? Did early posters have it?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's not really a great mystery.

Goons getting basic facts wrong about movies? You're right, that's not a great mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Would you say it's like rain on your wedding day?

More like a 40 degree day.

• Locked thread