Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Groovelord Neato posted:

they literally show her die laying there so no. do a lot of goons just not pay attention you see her die, she stops moving and breathing.

Goons never loving pay attention, but it's usually restrained to TVIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

I could help but laugh at her bing search, it was dead quiet in the theater during that part except for my chuckles.

The sound in this movie was amazing.

Same. My friend and I were the only people cackling. Reminded me a bit of the Everytime sequence from Spring Breakers in regards to my reaction vs. the rest of the audience's.

All of my praise would be echoing most of this thread already, so I'll bring up two places that I think keep the film from being an A+. The fight against the mom is edited really poorly and the sequence with the TSA guy in the police station goes on too long and messes with the, until that point, perfect pacing. I actually think if we saw a touch less of him the last scene would have been more powerful.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

i am the bird posted:

I actually really dug the police station scene.

Here's a black guy spelling out, almost word for word, an actual crime that is happening repeatedly to other black people. But he's telling the police, an authority formed to preserve white supremacy and property rights. It doesn't matter that he's talking to other black people; they're cops. They put the institution in institutional racism. And it doesn't matter that he's right, because racism and racial violence are conspiracy theories and black lives don't matter.

Rod talking about hypnosis and sex slavery sounds crazy, just like many people think it sounds crazy to hear 'shopping/driving/[verb]ing while black' or any other material instance of racism in America.

The movie is loving brilliant. I can't wait to see it again, and horror/thriller makes me incredibly uncomfortable as a genre.

edit: also, for the ending scenes

there's a lot going on with the deer in this movie but all I could think of was Reagan's welfare myth of the "strapping young buck" when Chris kills the dad, aka literally the paternalist racist

I get it, I just fear that some of the lengthier scenes with the friend will be the ones I most want to fast forward through on rewatches.

Except when he gets on the phone with Allison Williams that poo poo is excellent.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's also a testament to how good Allison Williams is in this movie which is pretty impressive since all I knew her from before this was getting her rear end eaten.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vintersorg posted:

Revelation? :lol:

Watch Girls.

Or don't. It's definitely not for everyone.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zwabu posted:

Does this happen to every thread that SMG descends upon?

Discussion becomes more than "IT GOOD?" Yeah.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HookedOnChthonics posted:

It really is bizarre how thoroughly people who get super mad about SMG seem to be involved in a parallel universe version of whatever thread. "Invective and insults?" :stare:

It's not even a particularly controversial critique he's advancing! Like I understand why people get provoked to emotional responses when he posts about Darth Vader being a divine agent of justice or whatever, but here his read amounts to just going "yep, the filmmakers made a movie consistent with the themes of the genre they consciously placed it in." Like, how is that so challenging?

Mods made a whole loving forum with padded walls so posters wouldn't have to read him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking of, you have to give Bradley Whitford a huge shoutout for being perfectly tweedy. What an rear end in a top hat.

I feel like anyone who was a long time Sorkin-er could pull it off.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's an entire other movie forum for y'all just FYI.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chris' apartment is extremely relevant to setting the bar for his characterization. It's what you slept through in freshman English when your teacher was talking about "show don't tell." If we can't engage on something as basic as set design what the gently caress is even the point?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

might as well toss out the set design of the mansion too, it certainly has nothing to say about the characters

Any rich family can have a deer head above their pre-op torture station it don't mean poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where is it being said that these places don't exist?

Get Out is a retelling of Fight Club except Chris is Edward Norton with his lovely IKEA apartment and almost getting whitewashed is meeting Tyler Durden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yes it was a good call to switch the ending from something everyone saw coming.

• Locked thread