Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah this was fantastic. The whole thing was such a love letter to the horror genre without making specific shoutouts that I can't help but wonder just how many parallels were intentional. For example, the end sequence felt like a condensed You're Next, down to ending with a white girl getting shot and a cop showing up, but not in the way you'd expect. Except that the laugh in You're Next the joke is that the girl gets shot for killing someone in cold blood despite being 1) the protagonist and 2) white, while in this the surprise is that the black man covered in blood and surrounded by bodies doesn't get killed when an "authority figure" shows up. Now, what was absolutely on purpose is that the TSA guy is Dick Hallorann from The Shining, except that he's right about everything not because he's a magical negro, but because he plain doesn't trust white people. That's why he lives.

DC Murderverse posted:

Also, the best laugh by a long shot: Rose sitting on her bed with a glass of milk and some Fruit Loops googling "Top NCAA Prospects".

What really brings that together is that she's drinking out of a black straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Was anyone else expecting, at the very end, that Rose was going to get up or regain control of the shotgun while the two guys were talking in the car? I mean, I was laughing at the dialogue, but I was worried that it was going to take a last minute punishment for doing so.

I would have, except I had faith that the film was executing the cosmic justice of her being left to die after he had confided in her about him feeling like he had left his mother to die.

e: I see you had the same idea, but I hope you have no confusion about why he did that. The first time was his mother, and the second, well.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Still have a lot of thoughts swirling around about this, but I noticed while watching that in the final act the way Chris escapes and kills each person reflects their nature or his previous interactions with them. Might be obvious but then again the cotton-picking gag and Chris being forced to watch TV helplessly for eternity didn't click for me until someone pointed them out, probably because there's just so much to think about. I'm probably missing some things, so you guys can fill in any gaps.

The father: this one I'm shakiest on, but there's quite the contrast between the dad's drawn-out, precise surgery and then the quick, brutal death of getting ambushed and stabbed by a bunch of horns. Dad showed a disrespect for life, and deer specifically, in saying that he was glad they hit the one and mounting another, so Chris got a bit of revenge for the species. Perhaps you could say that the dad relied on being able to establish dominion over living beings and died because he didn't account for every possibility, but there's something else there I'm not getting into words.

The mother: Chris takes away her tool of control by being faster to the cup, which you could call a sign of physical superiority. However, him being able to turn his wounded hand around and stab her with the knife was proof of his superior willpower. He took something that was a cause of pain to him and turned it to his advantage. A fitting way to defeat an evil psychiatrist who uses people's weaknesses to control them.

The son: the dude's obsessed with black people's strength and attempts to show that he is a superior physical specimen to Chris. Though he relies on ambushing instead of fighting fair, he succeeds at achieving a position where he has a guaranteed win, but then gets taken out because Chris outwits him and tricks him into giving him an opening. Should've worked on his strategy. Chris also was only able to escape originally because the son believed they'd already defeated him.

The daughter: she's an expert manipulator and literally uses someone else to try to kill Chris. It's only right that he turn it around on her and take her out because she trusts someone she shouldn't have. Guess she's not the only one who's not who she seems.

While in some cases Chris beats them on their own terms and in others he doesn't, the commonality is that while they're focused on controlling black bodies, they fail to respect the power of the black man's mind.

Jmcrofts posted:

I think he would probably be happy to be able to go do the yardwork again after years of being elderly. I know my dad loves mowing the lawn and chopping wood, old people are weird.

More specifically, as someone said his whole motivation was having a strong physical body. Being a groundskeeper and working with his hands all day every day is his version of Heaven.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 27, 2017

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
There we go, that's the part I was forgetting. He thought he was some strategic master but his only plan was "get the jump on them". Worked at the beginning of the movie, didn't at the end. It's also great that his bread-and-butter tactic wouldn't work in MMA. Definitely need to see this again.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
^ This post is hilarious. Don't get so focused on the subtext that you miss the text, kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Racism, particularly the very idosyncratic kind we have in the US where nothing matters other than Black and White, is economically motivated. Racialization is a justifcation for conquest and domination. I have no clue why people are acting like it's just gratuitous cruelty.

Rate the sketchiness of saying racism reduces entirely to classism in the Get Out thread out of 10. Alternate view: it's not entirely economically motivated. Even "conquest and domination" mean more than profit.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 14, 2017

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
My apologies to Pirate Jet, it was more of an indirect shot at recent trends in the thread.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, but there's a reason racism is concieved of as distinct from prejudice. The world is full of petty prejudices, cultural and otherwise. Individuals invariably filter their own prejudice through their own pathologies. Racism, however, is about the levering of power. We can catalog symptoms all day but if you wanna understand it, you have to talk about the whole phenomenon, and it's not just pathology. Overcoming it has got to go beyond individual diagnosis.

You'll want to make very clear that you only use the term "racism" in the systemic sense, and you don't really get to declare that everyone else has to do the same. Many, many instances of the term "racism" in this thread, in wider discussions of this film, and in discussions of racism as a whole, refer to the personal sense of the word. You're right that it's not just pathology - nobody said it was. But it's not just the systemic meaning either. The word has two meanings, and if you're being honest it's easy to keep the two definitions distinct and meaningfully discuss how they interact.

e: I make sure to not use "jealous" when I mean "envious", but that makes me a pedant, it doesn't make everyone else wrong.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Let's dispel with this fiction that SMG doesn't know what he's Forget it, thread. It's SMG.

• Locked thread