Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, so Armond White is a Respectability Politics, "Welfare state is slavery!" conservative, and THAT'S why he's writing for NR.

Good to know.

He's explicitly making GBS threads on the drive for respectability, and means testing the welfare state IS a tool for the perpetuation of poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gyges posted:

According to Stephen Root, it's all part of the process that helps prepare them for a successful transplant. The hypnotism and acceptance of the situation seem to both be vital components, plus while they're prepping the victim for the procedure they do still have to put on a nice party/auction for all the local rich people.

This reminds me of the stories about extermination camp overseers telling people that the gas chambers were just delousing them so they wouldn't panic, which would of course work only once because when no one ever came back and a pile of corpses had to be carried out and buried or torched, the other inmates would cotton on pretty quick. Such announcements are either an urban legend developed to add tactical realism to the Holocaust, or the overseers continued making them for the reason people do most things - pure inertia and formal convention.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's, uh, not an urban legend. At Auschwitz, new arrivals would be split into two groups-healthy young-to-middle aged men and women, and children, the elderly, the sick, and the frail. Those capable of work were sent to be worked to death at adjacent camps, while everyone else would be routed to the 'showers'. And because they were new arrivals, they wouldn't know that nobody came back.

They didn't start "selection" until a year after the camp opened, and even then many of them were just shot before being transported to the crematoria. Some of the camp guards remember telling the victims they were to be deloused, but many of the survivors also report knowing that the people "selected" were going to be killed. No one was being fooled.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the logic of the film, he would literally have the brain of a white person, losing his talent in the process. Chris believes, to some extent, that his talent comes from his blackness.

It's important to keep in mind the photographs in those early scenes. It's fairly generic 'urban' imagery: a pigeon flying between skyscrapers, a chained pitbull in front of a brick wall, a vulnerable child on a city sidewalk.... Chris fears that, in making too much money, he will lose the ability to capture these things. Moreover, he would be producing inauthentic images for 'the man'.

The truth is, of course, that Chris was 'a sellout' from the beginning, making his modest success with palatable images of children and animals. Like, those are what he uses to convey 'the black experience': children and animals. Think about that for a second.

Chris absolutely doesn't fear going unrecognized or unappreciated - white liberals eat this stuff up. What he's afraid of being embraced by the wrong people and, moreover, that he will like it.

He is already taking the same photos as the (white) urban poverty photographer from Midnight Meat Train. And his fear is that he will ultimately have the same fate - to be an internalized, silenced part of the system, and that he will volunteer for it. He's scared that wants to be a middle class white guy, which is like THE central anxiety of artists under capitalism, regardless of race.

Darko posted:

I know white (and hispanic) "liberals" who saw the movie and don't get it at all. I had one guy talk about how great it was to me...and then explain the movie and point of the movie sounding exactly like Rose's brother. I just made a Chris face when it happened.

Would you mind giving some detail here?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Racism, particularly the very idosyncratic kind we have in the US where nothing matters other than Black and White, is economically motivated. Racialization is a justifcation for conquest and domination. I have no clue why people are acting like it's just gratuitous cruelty.

If it's the latter I'm innocent and it's just bad racists that do racisms.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not anyone in particular, I just mean in general, what do people think the point of racism is?

He doesn't see color. He sees value. It's nothing personal, of course. This is much more insidious.

Biotruths about apes fighting other apes and tribes and territory and the other and poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

still obsessed with the guy i heard saying the problem with the movie was that "once again scientists are the bad guy"

I bet he's one of those people who gets super mad if you mention how great Frankenstein is

Darko posted:

I had to ask the person I was with what was said, I'll let you know if she remembers. I kind of let stuff like that go in one in and out the other unless it's especially egregious.

No big deal I'm just curious how that shakes out

Darko posted:

Tribalism is a huge part of it to. In fact, the economic part works so well because of the natural inclination of tribalism.

I just want to say that we don't know that this is a "natural" inclination, certainly not on the basis of appearance. Before European imperialism, skin color was not a major factor in the formation of social identity. In the (dumb) ape analogy that is often used as a prop for "race realism", chimpanzees don't distinguish their in groups on the basis of similar appearance.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

Tribalism is definitely a natural inclination; primates do it, and humans have historically done it since we can trace back.

Grouping people according to skin color and features is something that European colonialism created, as this was the first time it could be done on a universal, near-worldwide level, and it "naturally" stuck because we're visual creatures and group things according to visuals constantly (probably).

Appealing to tribalism doesn't mean appealing to race distinctions in itself, but people grouping themselves due to some similarity (including location) and creating an "other." Europeans just making a dumb visual grouping like that is something that easily works on a lot of people.

Historically and anthropologically, group identity (and "race") have been conceived of as performative and cultural far more often than the modern, semi-genetic conception. The critical features of "race" for virtually all premodern groups from whom we have written or oral records were language, clothing, and religion, only one of which is visually expressed and all of which are performative and voluntary. We shouldn't uncritically accept conclusions based on the results of studies performed on modern people, either, because by the time they can do the studies they have already been enculturated into skin color racism.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Of course, white people are extremely goofy, this could just as easily be a film about getting tricked into going to a Christian pizza party.

Yeah, if anyone besides SMG had said "the horror stuff is a metaphor for being weirded out by conservatives but also tempted to stop worrying and love the bomb" it would be uncontroversial. Chris is in effect facing conversion therapy for blackness.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The mean joke is that it works.

Exactly. It's like a gay kid goes to the weird Christian party, and he thinks they're all weird and awful but after he still says human being a lot and has a girlfriend.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

So it's a metaphor for the internalized process of Ice Cube going from Amerikkka's Most Wanted to Are We There, Yet??

Or Eldridge Cleaver pushed into The Sunken Place and having his brain replaced by an old Mormon grandpa?

hahahahaha yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

rosemary's baby and stepford wives weren't "it's all in their head". just like the twilight zone episode improperly cited. do you folks even follow the posts you're defending.

i could certainly read all the shapeshifting alien poo poo in john carpenter's the thing as the whiskey dreams of macready since none of it happens until everyone goes to sleep. he's become paranoid after seeing someone murdered. he finds solace in the bottle at the end of the dream. it's certainly a reading but it isn't particularly interesting, and is far less interesting than a "straight" discussion of the film.

Rosemary's Baby is 100% "it's still paranoia even if they're really out to get you". Like Get Out, its protagonist is a person from a real minority subject to oppression, and it literalizes that oppression by presenting a paranoid fantasy from the perspective of the paranoiac. And none of the Satan cult reveal happens at a point where Rosemary is sober and clear minded. She's drugged, drunk, or traumatized at a minimum whenever something more than slightly suspiscious happens.

Haven't seen or read Stepford in a while, the wife is the real Levine buff in the family but the premise is the same.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think this is a good thread ATM and the arguement that the movie is about Chris's struggle with his own sense of "blackness" didn't originate with SMG iirc

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

weekly font posted:

Discussion becomes more than "IT GOOD?" Yeah.

I might, maybe, be taking a job doing a geologic survey of Greenbrier County next fall, btw. Just as likely I'm moving back to Pittsburgh but it may happen.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hmm.

It originates from the film itself, with his studio photography set to neo-soul. This whole idea that either you're authentically black, or you're a white person trapped in a black person's body is odd, to say the least, because it doesn't even take into account the differences between the black characters. It's as if they're just "black" and the threat is "turning white". It's somewhat more complex than that.

Yeah the hangups are Chris's, not a statement of the universal quality of essential blackitude.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Andre Braugher is more of a character and tv actor but he's dark as all heck and I don't think it's holding him back too much

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Dave Chappelle joked about Eddie Murphy being called "Darkness" by Rick James because he and his brother were so much darker toned than other black celebrities at the time. It'd be naive to not realize there's a very real problem within black communities about the blackness of one's skin as well.

See also: Hollywood pairing up lighter mocha skinned women with white leading men. Jungle Fever's a great movie for this type of discussion.

Isaiah Washington, Mekhi Phife, Delroy Lindo, Keith David, Charles S. Dutton, and Don Cheadle are all black as gently caress tho.

Yeah it's an issue but I don't think the reason British/Caribbean/African black actors are darker is less skin color racism. Those populations are just darker skinned on the whole. The real challenge is thinking of a dark African American actress getting a lot of work. Viola Davis is the best I can come up with and she gets lightened up for a lot of roles.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

American black people generally aren't as dark because many of our ancestors were raped by white people somewhere down the line (if we weren't mixed post-slavery on top of that). We also lost a lot of our African facial features with those mixtures as well (which is why black Africans and Americans can immediately tell each other apart). So, just by numbers, many black actors won't be Snipes-dark. Europe, especially, doesn't have that same history, so you get more black people that are closer to their African heritage.

Likewise Caribbeans, where the European populations were much smaller relative to slave populations. African Americans and Caribbeans are also extremely cosmopolitan mixtures of hundreds of different African populations so extreme regional variations are muted.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So you would contend that the episode is not metaphorical, it's just about what actual gremlins would be like, hypothetically

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Criminal Minded posted:

I mean, once you travel down this road, you have to contend with the facts that: there is no person named Chris, he has no girlfriend, they don't visit her family, etc.

Worth repeating...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yes, they want to degrade him in order to literally make him like them. That's what's meant by "belonging in this neighborhood". Not that "black people shouldn't socialize with white people". This is also why John Nada wants Frank Armitage to put on the glasses. He doesn't have a vocabulary to describe what Frank Armitage likely already knows. (In the short story They Live is based on, it's literally a botched hypnotic trigger that wakes John Nada up.)The trauma of seeing for the first time is compensated for with with a totally fleshed out, internally consistent conspiracy theory.

This isn't a plot description of what happens in the film, this is describing the experience of the POV character. This is also crucial to the sister films about resistance to assimilatory elitism, Rosemary's Baby, The Stepford Wives, They Live, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.

The 'Burbs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"fear of a mulatto planet"

This reminds me of my favorite obscure conspiracy theory - in the early 1860s, Paraguay was a rapidly modernizing (industrially) country where it was illegal for people to marry within their "race", because the recently deceased dictator wanted to eliminate racial class divisions (spaniard, creole, mestizo, indian) by just making everyone Mestizo. Although the historical consensus is that the war that broke out in 1864 and completely destroyed Paraguay was rooted in local political factors, a belief persists in Paraguay that British business interests feared a local industrial power that would threaten the British free trade export regime, and so they maneuvered Argentina and Brazil into committing to a long and bloody war.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The real villain is multiculturalism, which only seeks to take the best of any culture and leave behind the impurities.

"Best" and "impurities", of course, being determined by their compatibility with Euro-American culture and capitalism.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So then, again, what Chris stands to lose is something he's mostly afraid he never had. That's the subtext of his relationship with Rose. Why are they a couple in the first place?

Peele also already wrote another movie that's extremely concerned with how middle class African Americans relate to "authentic" ghetto Blackness. It's played for laughs but there's a lot of tension in Key and Peele's scenes arguing about whether they ever say "nigga" or listen to the "right" music.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Simplex posted:

essential elements of being black.

woof. yikes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This is actually a quick aside in The Invisibles.

I don't love The Invisibles as a whole but I think it's the most creative and far ranging comic work since maybe the Fourth World. Or Cerebus, but then the publication of Cerebus pre and post dates The Invisibles.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's really rewarding to go in and bite chunks out of it once in a while.

Yeah not to be that guy with the same old monster of the week is better than mythology poo poo but a lot of the asides are really fantastic on their own. A lot of it is very of a piece with Flex, though sadly no artist apart from Quitely ever put Quitely level work into The Invisibles.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't think that meshes with the logic of the film, I mean the one lady's married to Logan so its not like it would've been out of the ordinary for them to show up as guests at the party & then they could hang out with the ppl @ their party instead of having 2 serve them the whole time.

Yeah if you insist on viewing it literally then it's just idiotic.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

King Vidiot posted:

But you can apply that to literally every movie, even to documentaries because no matter how hard a doc tries to be totally impartial it's always a reconstructed reality.

Yes that's correct

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If only he'd given her a Pepsi.

I wish it were like that flower in the gunbarrel parody from Watchmen and the cop blew her head off. Someone photo...gif...that. Please.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I've realized that people base a Football team's offense's backbone on the quarterback... I have to ask why. I can understand if he can run, block, and throw a 50 yard touchdown pass. But to give most the credit to a quarterback when someone catches a touchdown pass is a little rediculous.

First there are linemen. If linemen can't keep the defense out of the backfield to get the quarterback then he gets his rear end handed to him from about 4 or 5 huge motherfuckers that wanna rip him a new one. Think about that the next time you gently caress with your Center, Guard, and Tackle. They're your only protection in the pocket.

Second is the Fullback. Occasionally you'll get one that can do everything a lineman can do... knock the poo poo out of someone. If he can't stop a blitz from a linebacker, then your quarterback gets a nice facefull of dirt.

And there's the recievers. You have to be one fast motherfucker to burn your opposition when all they wanna do is take your knees out. They have to remember their route, know where the person covering him is, know when the ball will hit him, if he'll get the ball at all, and at the end of course catch the drat ball.

Tight Ends... well, mainly just a slower and bigger wide reciever that can block a little.

I understand a Quarterback has to know the play and know where everyone is at all times, but if the line's doing their thing right he won't get hit, and if the Wide Recievers are smarter than the average 5th grader they'll be where he wants them to be.

Quarterbacks aren't always the best. IT IS A TEAM EFFORT!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he's doing pretty standard undergrad-type lit crit in a forum of people who get super loving mad if you make a post that's "markedly off from the popular reading of the film", and whether it's intended to be or not it's the best troll on the forums.

That's unfair, I would have killed for my undergrads to write that well. But yeah it's a normal critical vocabulary and perspective and the rage it elicits is funny.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It should be the ending to Thriller, with Chris comforting Rose, suggesting they go get something to eat, then turning around to reveal reptiloid eyes.

Goddamn

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Escobarbarian posted:

I believe the apartment is just intended as a normal apartment that someone doing fairly well for themselves in New York City would have. There's plenty of political imagery in this movie but that isn't part of it imo - the idea that the apartment is meant to have some bland white Starbucks drinker style to it and that therefore Chris is a sellout seems completely invented. It's literally just an apartment.

It really doesn't matter if the set designer totally shares this design sensibility and sees this upper middle class bourgie aesthetic as aspirational. In fact you're right that it's utterly typical of a well to do New Yorker, but it's weird you think that contradicts what MHB and HUNDU are saying. The apartment is characterization of Chris.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i am the bird posted:

So, to complete the reading, Chris constructs Root the bodysnatcher to affirm the paranoia of 'stolen black essence' but then imagines that the bodysnatcher explicitly rejects the idea of black essence because [reasons].

Hudson does have a motivation to lie: he wants to think he's a good person, but believes racism is wrong. He's not lying for Chris's benefit

I wouldn't say "utterly typical" but "aspirational" is dead on. It's bougie but in a really specific way. Stunting for the 'gram, as the kids would say.

Yeah that was a clumsy thought on my part, it's very typical in concept, but the execution is a fantasy, like the apartment in the background of a commercial.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't know if Chris would ever put on Gummo for mood. Hard to say.

When his friends from art school visit, sure

• Locked thread