Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I like Catherine Keener and I've never been more thrilled to see her die.

I also thought it was a nice touch and voting rights dig that he didn't have a driver's license, just a "state ID." At first it's merely an issue of 'he lives in the city and doesn't need one,' but ultimately it ends up loving him over, because he doesn't have the natural inclination to *steal* keys and GTFO because hey, driving without a license while black is a really bad ideaTM.

Also, I took the Obama comments not as a "we're liberals" thing as him representing their Holy Grail of 'gets.'

I also realized that this is probably why Rose didn't want Chris to show his ID to the cop. If Chris were to go missing, there'd be something traceable for when he goes missing.

DC Murderverse posted:

Williams is really great, and her casting is one of those examples of using what are normally disadvantages for an actor (she's really only capable of playing a very narrow character) and turning it into an advantage, like casting Ben Affleck as the lead in Gone Girl. I have a question for y'all about that: At what point did you realize that Rose was a willing accomplice instead of a tool? When Chris found the box of pictures in her room I rationalized it away as her mom repeatedly hypnotizing her to not remember, and it wasn't until "You know I can't give you the keys babe" that it hit me that she was in on it as well.

I rationalized it the same way you did and had the exact same reaction until they literally spelled it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I was just looking through the trailer. Holy poo poo, that gives away way too much of the movie. Also a few scenes are there that are not in the movie.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

dude how

it really doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

I'd say it kinda does. But only because we have context for the movie now.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
There's this interesting article about the Japanese guy here:

http://reappropriate.co/2017/03/unpacking-get-outs-asian-character/

quote:

The twist here is that the actor who played Tanaka, Yasuhiko Oyama, is also a world-renowned martial artist and founder of the World Oyama Karate Organization. (Get Out was filmed in Fairhope, AL, the same state that houses Oyama’s dojo in Homewood.) Peele is an avowed MMA fan, and Key and Peele has featured multiple MMA-based sketches. If we look more closely, we see Peele nods towards intertwined histories of Afro-Asian collectivity. Recall that during dinner, Rose’s brother Josh asks Chris if he’s an MMA fan. The two briefly discuss the merits of jiu jitsu, a Brazilian form of Japanese judo brought to Brazil in the early 20th century by Japanese teacher Esai Maeda.

Photo of actor Yasuhiko Oyama from his website. (Photo credit: World of Oyama)
Josh reminds Chris that the key to jiu jitsu is not physical strength, but mental acuity: staying three or four moves ahead of your opponent. During the film’s climax, Josh attempts to prevent Chris from escaping by wielding a lacrosse stick (the ultimate white-boy sport, made even more so by its appropriation from Native Americans), but Chris eventually overcomes him through the jiu jitsu spirit Josh had earlier remarked upon: as Deadspin’s Tom Ley noted, “Chris remembers the psychopath brother’s speech about jiu jitsu and being three or four moves ahead. When they are wrestling in the foyer, the brother keeps kicking the door closed when Chris reaches to open it. When Chris reaches for the door the fourth time, he’s ready to stab the brother in the leg with the letter opener as soon as he kicks the door.”

We might see jiu jitsu as the twenty-first century answer to the now-campy karate of decades past. Asian martial arts like kung fu and karate were popularized in the United States after World War II and saw their heyday in the 1970s with film stars like Bruce Lee (recall that Lee’s first U.S. feature, 1973’s Enter the Dragon, co-starred African American martial artist Jim Kelly). The chopsocky aesthetic was especially embraced by blaxploitation film culture, giving us Black Belt Jones, T.N.T. Jackson, Black Samurai (now in development as a television show starring Common), and Carl Douglas’s soul-disco earworm from 1974, “Kung Fu Fighting.” Black power drew on elements of Asian culture and thought, just as American “Orientals” drew on the rhetoric of black power during the formation of the Asian American movement.

• Locked thread