Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Are you recording this with the built-in AVI recorder off Visual Boy Advance? Because that way you will get desynch. I had that problem too until I got the recommendation to switch to VBA re-recording, which is basically the same emulator but the AVI recorder doesn't desynch. Might be helpful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Avisynth seems daunting at first, but it's actually really easy to use if you just copy-paste the same ol' poo poo over and over again :D. I just opened up an old script of mine:

code:
title = ImageSource("E:\LP Zeug\Mega Man V\LP Title.png", fps=60, start=1, end=300, pixel_type = "RGB32")

video = AVISource("E:\LP Zeug\Mega Man V\Pluto\video.avi").PointResize(640,576).KillAudio

Audio = WAVSource("E:\LP Zeug\Mega Man V\Pluto\Finished Audio.wav")

vid = 	title.FadeOut(60,$FFFFFF) + video.FadeIn(60,$FFFFFF)

AudioDub(vid, audio)

FadeOut(60)

ConvertToYV12()
So if you've ever seen any kind of code, first you just define your variables - "title" is an image you get from my E: directory via the ImageSource command, it gets the same FPS as the video so it works once you splice them together (60 in this case), start and end define the length (in frames, so with 60 frames this means 5 seconds), and the pixel type gives it the same color code as the video. Otherwise it, again, cannot be spliced to the vid.

"video", same deal, is an AVI recorded raw off the emulator's built-in program (this is for a Gameboy game, so it should work pretty much the same way for you too), the PointResize function at the end blows it up to exactly four times defined by the variables in the brackets, and it's point resize rather than a different one because for pixels, this is 100% accurate if you're doubling or quadrupling the image. So you get no loss in quality. I kill the audio because both image (obviously) and video are then silent and, again, can get spliced together.

The Audio is the commentary recorded and auto-ducked over the game audio with audacity, just an already finished (and lossless because I can afford it, baby) complete audio track.

Then I put the title card and the video together, fade the first out, the second in; dub the audio over the finished clip; fade out everything, convert to a nice color format or something (don't ask me what this ACTUALLY does, I've just always kept it there forever).

You can do more complicated stuff through judicous use of .trim and other functions:

code:
vid = 	title.FadeOut(60,$FFFFFF) + video4.FadeIn(60,$FFFFFF).FadeOut(60,$FFFFFF) +\
	dissolve(video.Trim(20254,21454).ChangeSpeed(2).FadeIn(60,$FFFFFF).Overlay(music,mask=music.ShowAlpha(),0,0)+video.Trim(21455,22364).ChangeSpeed(2), video2.Trim(18858,20701).ChangeSpeed(2), video3.Trim(19392,21036).ChangeSpeed(2), video.Trim(22696,24924), 60)
This is for a death reel, if I remember correctly. First, we have the title card, the normal video up until the boss; then we have multiple clips added together, all of them trimmed to only show the fight, then sped up (this order, please), and they don't hard-cut, but dissolve into each other for the duration of one second (the 60 frames at the very end). The Overlay puts a picture on top that I made to show the music source.

This is the result, the relevant part (with all the dissolve stuff) happens at around 7:28.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

"Oh, hey, this doesn't seem so-"

:stare:
As I said, it looks really daunting at first but it's pretty logical once you get used to it. If you want a more extended tutorial, hit me up per PM. Or maybe ask the Tech Support Fort because they know their poo poo a lot more than me :v:.

• Locked thread